Dragging my side stand in corners

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I managed to drag a sidestand was in 1972, on my 650 Yam, leaving my girlfriend's house late at night, and in the first gradual (thankfully!) turn in the road. I had forgotten to put the sidestand up, before riding away.
No safety switches in those days.
I wound up on a fellow's front lawn, still upright, but stalled the bike. He came running out in his pajamas, and didn't seem to be too pleased:bang head:
Cheers!

The LH foot peg would always drag before the side stand in any way possible. So if you are not dragging the foot peg then your side stand doesn't have a regular shape...

Yeah, the nut is snug but it still has a little play in it. The spring is definitely tight enough to keep it from moving around though. I'm still not sure what to do, heat the metal and bend it or cut the tit shorter.

Yeah, the nut is snug but it still has a little play in it. The spring is definitely tight enough to keep it from moving around though. I'm still not sure what to do, heat the metal and bend it or cut the tit shorter.
I'd heat it and bend it up a bit, that should help a lot.

Or try doing what I've seen others do: Drag your knee rather than your side stand. I've been told a good pair of racing/riding pants, one's with the slide pad attached to the knee area, help in this respect. Personally, I just don't ever get down that hard in the corners. Maybe this is just Mother Yamaha's way of warning you that you might be getting ready for a low side get-off?

Or try doing what I've seen others do: Drag your knee rather than your side stand. I've been told a good pair of racing/riding pants, one's with the slide pad attached to the knee area, help in this respect. Personally, I just don't ever get down that hard in the corners. Maybe this is just Mother Yamaha's way of warning you that you might be getting ready for a low side get-off?
The Kevlar armored racing pants won't happen. Not that I wouldn't love a pair, but I don't have the kind of cash to throw at something like that. Maybe someday.

The thing about the parts dragging is that that's the only clue I'm getting that I'm getting close to the edge. No wash outs, no plowing the front, no real complaining from the bike other than the occasional light show from the kickstand on the pavement. The angle on the stand is wrong, and I think once that issue is resolved I can push the bike to where it will start giving me some real feedback.

Hopefully my next post isn't one asking for parts to fix it.

Back