drilling out stock pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ are you sure it didn't richen it up a bit and Not lean it.
The slight richening this Mod does to our Bikes is usually not a problem because they tend to be set pretty lean from the Factory.
You should be able to use the A/F Screws to tweak it a bit and get it right.
You should not have to do anything else.

Hear are the changes since drilling out the baffle

Need choke to start. Except when really cold, I used to be able to just push start and give a little throttle and she would fire first time every time. Now If I do that she will fire then die. A small amount of choke and she starts just fine.

There is a flat spot when you open the throttle (just off idle) I would call it a lean serge, but I may be wrong. After that it pulls fine.

BTW- did not change idle still has that wonderful loppy idle and under light acceleration now it sounds like a small block.

I get some popping on deceleration.

The bike is running hotter. On hot days before, I never got above half way on the temp gauge. Now it runs at just below 1/2 all the time and creeps up to 2/3 if I stop at a light.

Note that I did the mod in the middle of the day. bike ran perfect in the morning. took 1/2 hour to drill out baffles (mostly getting the stuff together, only a few seconds to do the work) Started the bike right after i was done and had starting problems.

I want to ride it for a while before I pull the plugs to see if they look lean. I'll most likely do some plug chops this weekend.

Thanks!

Craig

^ are you sure it didn't richen it up a bit and Not lean it.
The slight richening this Mod does to our Bikes is usually not a problem because they tend to be set pretty lean from the Factory.
You should be able to use the A/F Screws to tweak it a bit and get it right.
You should not have to do anything else.
Yep, exactly what I did too, Worked perfict. Thanks Dennis:biglaugh:

I was thinking about drilling my stocks just so they are louder. I can't seem to figure out how to take the end caps off the mufflers. Any advice. Thx

Hi, hopefully this isn't a duplicate reply. I was wondering if you could give some advice on how to take the end caps off the mufflers. I can't seem to figure it out. I thought they were allens but not the case. Thx.

This is from page 2 of this thread...

"I drilled the rivits and ditched the end caps, put 5 1/2" holes between, left the center closed, no performance gain but I really like the sound!....".

Mine were drilled when I got my bike. You might PM Traumahawk to see if he still has those pipes (he got my drilled stock ones from me). The end caps were held on with allen bolts after the previous owner drilled out the rivets.

My 01 had had the centers drilled out by the previous owner. The pipes were not only obnoxiously loud, the quality of the sound was bad. It did not have the crisp sound of the stock mufflers. As other have said, it also had a negative effect on drivability, with a flat spot off of idle, and less low end torque.

Video of the difference here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHXYV1ytZcA

Last edited:
I drilled out the centers years ago, raised the needles .020", adjusted the idle air screws, and sync'ed the carbs. RUNS GREAT. Also raised the "Y" about 3/8" The sound could be a bit "crisper" but is better than stock.
Lew

It's a sin to drill out stock mufflers unless the bike has already fallen over and scuffed the crap out of them. You get nothing from the mod and should be left to ignorant and foolish persons. Just find some used slip ons. Selling your stock set will pay for the slip ons.
No brainier.

it's a sin to drill out stock mufflers unless the bike has already fallen over and scuffed the crap out of them. You get nothing from the mod and should be left to ignorant and foolish persons. Just find some used slip ons. Selling your stock set will pay for the slip ons.
No brainier.

+1

It's a sin to drill out stock mufflers unless the bike has already fallen over and scuffed the crap out of them. You get nothing from the mod and should be left to ignorant and foolish persons. Just find some used slip ons. Selling your stock set will pay for the slip ons.
No brainier.
I completely disagree.
I think the stock Pipes were way too quiet before I drilled them and sounded a LOT better after drilling them.
And as for selling them, good luck with getting more than about $50 for a set of Stock pipes that almost no one wants.

I got my bike with the stockers drilled, and the end caps on with spacers. It sounds pretty damned good imo, and I really like the looks of the stock chrome pipes over just about any aftermarket can I have seen

I completely disagree.
I think the stock Pipes were way too quiet before I drilled them and sounded a LOT better after drilling them.
And as for selling them, good luck with getting more than about $50 for a set of Stock pipes that almost no one wants.

My stock mufflers, off my '07, sold for over $400 with shipping.
Paid for my trapps with the $. I've seen others go for $200-350. Even more rare would be the original 1985 mufflers. They didn't pass inspection, so they were replaced with a little more restrictive one and increased the size of the Vboost tubes to compensate for the power lost.

On that note, it would be interesting to see the power made by the original 1985 mufflers and the later years Vboost.

My stock mufflers, off my '07, sold for over $400 with shipping.
Paid for my trapps with the $. I've seen others go for $200-350. Even more rare would be the original 1985 mufflers. They didn't pass inspection, so they were replaced with a little more restrictive one and increased the size of the Vboost tubes to compensate for the power lost.

On that note, it would be interesting to see the power made by the original 1985 mufflers and the later years Vboost.
That's more than I would have thought.
I've seen a lot of stock pipes being sold very cheaply lately.
Some even just for the cost of shipping.

Ones with no damage get a good price. Depends on the condition. Most have at least a small scrape on the back edge from tip-overs.

That's more than I would have thought.
I've seen a lot of stock pipes being sold very cheaply lately.
Some even just for the cost of shipping.

To be fair, my mufflers sold for something like $250. The other $200 was what the guy paid to have them shipped to France.
That's where the $400+ with shipping number came from.

I completely disagree.

Just for reference, I sold the drilled out set that came on my '01 for $157 today on eBay.

Don't know how old classified ads live on in cyberspace but I sold a near perfect set of 85s on VMF to Denmark I think for $500 shipped by USPS. Once I got a reasonably small box that did not exceed size limits it was very reasonable to ship. I also sold a nice set of unknown year for $375.00. Again, this is JUST the mufflers, nothing else.
Condition is everything. I too love the factory look but its not just the mufflers constricting you but the headers too. To say one did it for the sound must not have run next to a set of Marks 4 into 2. All the roar with none of the growl of Kerker 4-2-1 or Dragstars or the loudest set up I have heard was Kyles Boss Hoss can. Ouch.
Again, one scuffed side kills the value, drill away on those anchor weights!

Back