drilling out stock pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgswss

Reaction score
I see a few have stock pipes and have drilled out the ends of their mufflers. Has anyone done any tests to see how this effects performance?

(I don't want to loose any performance in case I ride with Mike again)

I just did mine this weekend. 5 holes in each can. Seat of the pants dyno says no real change but I was sorely dissappointed in the sound. Maybe bigger holes would be better but while louder it's not a very satifying change. It's got more of an edge than a growl :( Hate to drill them any bigger since at this point I can seal them back up. I really wish I'd have left the stockers alone and bought a full system down the road. Just not for me - YMMV.

Drilling the cans doesn't do anything for performance.....the headers are the weak link in the stock system, unless you go with a full system you will get a little more noise....that's about it.

I just did mine this weekend. 5 holes in each can. Seat of the pants dyno says no real change but I was sorely dissappointed in the sound. Maybe bigger holes would be better but while louder it's not a very satifying change. It's got more of an edge than a growl :( Hate to drill them any bigger since at this point I can seal them back up. I really wish I'd have left the stockers alone and bought a full system down the road. Just not for me - YMMV.

You may be able to find some allen head plugs that will fit the holes you drilled if you're looking to reverse it.

I was sorely dissappointed in the sound.

Pretty much everyone I know that's drilled out stock pipes comes to this conclusion. To me, a drilled out stock can sounds "muddy" and "garbled", while the actual volume level may be higher, it doesn't have a clean, crisp note. It's more "noise" than "song". More of a blahtablahtablat flatulence than a true rumble. It's because of all the internal walls inside the muffler that bounce the sound waves around. Removing some resistance increases the volume but the "sound" has already been destroyed.

Just pop on some Supertrapps and get the sound you're looking for. Look better, sound awesome, and you lose a bit of weight in the process too.

There appears to be several ways to do this.

#1 - Remove the end cap, drill holes between the rivets, reinstall the end cap (or not). Size of the holes may change the sound quality.

#2 - Drill out the center.

#3 - A combination of the two.

Don't know much about this but read previous threads on the subject. There may be a sound difference in the methods so there may be a way to get a good sound. Hopefully people that have tried both methods will chime in...

I had my center punched out and drilled out the ends. I thought it sounded good. Got lots of compliments. I hear guys say it sounds farty, but mine never did. I did use spacers on the end caps. I have marks now, but if I was to go back to stock, I would do the same.

+1. i drilled out mine to tide me over until i could afford a full-up. i don't think anybody mods the stock cans with anything more in mind other than making it louder. drilling mine out did increase the loudness a bit, but nothing to write home about.

I had 5 3/8 holes in my stock cans. I liked the sound, and think over stock it was an improvrment in sound, which was none stock. Added performance? Prob. not. I have Marks 4-2 now and love it. I also aquired a Kerker 4-1 that I'm going to do in black satin. I may sell the Kerker. I might want totry it first though.
Steve-o

I had my center punched out and drilled out the ends. I thought it sounded good. Got lots of compliments. I hear guys say it sounds farty, but mine never did. I did use spacers on the end caps. I have marks now, but if I was to go back to stock, I would do the same.
+1 to adding spacers if you put the caps back on! Putting the caps back on with no spacers makes it sound ratty. We drilled my friends out, and left the cap off and it sounds pretty good to me. Don't think it increased the performance any, but it SOUNDS faster!!

I wasn't as concerned with adding performance as I was to not lose performance.

I heard the Kerkers On a recent ride, and you can pick them out from all others. I would guess it what can you put on them makes a difference, but to me they sounded more like a big crotch rocket. I realty like the sound of the Marks but I spent a lot of time near then on Sunday. I think the UFO sound lower, but again I'm sure that has to do with the can.

But being retired and on a fixed income, I won't be buying anything soon. Just was thinking of changing something so I can hear my own engine when we are on a group ride <G>

I drilled the rivits and ditched the end caps, put 5 1/2" holes between, left the center closed, no performance gain but I really like the sound!.......We did this on a few members Maxes around here in GR..........In fact you rode with us on Sunday...................Tom.

I've read lots of post's on drilling the stock pipes. IMO, it's for the person who loves their stock pipes & is not interested in any more power or performance .They just wanna make a little more noise. I drilled mine out to 1/2" & notest no loss in power. I really love the way they sound out on the road. I will never give up my stock black chrome pipes:thumbs up:

Last edited:
Has anyone determined the difference in sound quality/volume in drilling/punching out the center or drilling holes in the back plate? Also, how do you drill/punch out the center? :ummm:

I did the center deflector mod...very simple and I love the sound. No noticable gain/loss in power. Just get a 12" drill extension ($10) and a 1" hole saw ($10), stick it down the hole and drill out the deflector...takes 20-30 seconds each side. If it sounds like a fart...it must be a GRIZZLY FART :)!

Plus, you get to keep the very sexy looking stock cans!!!

I drilled the rivits and ditched the end caps, put 5 1/2" holes between, left the center closed, no performance gain but I really like the sound!.......We did this on a few members Maxes around here in GR..........In fact you rode with us on Sunday...................Tom.

Yea, I know- that's why I asked. I was behind a couple of you guys and noticed the lack of end caps and assumed they were drilled out. Of course I could have asked when we were on the ride, but being the shy retiring guy I am, I never asked.... Ok truth is its just that i'm about deaf and can't hear what others are saying.

Now that I know I'll still be able to keep up with you guys after I do it, I think I will be a drilling... Real soon now.

Craig

Well I did the hole saw drill out. Love the sound, but the bike is running much leaner. The biggest difference is at low RPM. I really didn't want to get into it, but My guess is I'm going to have shim the needles some time soon. I'll drive it for a while and then run some plug chops to see if I have to get into the jets. I'm a little surprised that I'm the only one that experienced this lean condition after drilling the pipes out. I did the 1" hole saw.

Craig

Back