DYNA3000 Difference with 85-92 and 93 on

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
What is the difference with the early model DYNA300 vs the later model? Or what is the difference with the stock ignitions in general? The reason I am asking is I have a Dyna 3000 for my 02 and it seems to work just fine, but could I also use it for my 85 drag bike? I still have my stock 02 ignition and this would save me $230. I'm going to a turbo setup, and want to use the Dyna, but I'm not sure if it will work. I'm not using the VBoost, or even stock carbs for that matter (I'm not sure how this will operate with the vacuum advance). I would appreciate any help you can give me or what problems I might face in trying this. Also, is there some other ignition that I could use?

Thanks,

Jeff

I believe that Yamaha switched to a digital ignition in 93 when they went to the "new" style CDI box. Forgive me if my memory fails me, butI believe the number of pickups off of the stator changed. I do know that if you change from a pre-93 engine to a newer one you have to either change out the stator to an old style one w/pickups or change out your wiring harness and CDI box to the new style.

Thanks... this is what I want to get figured out. Especially since I'll be using a 86 or 87 Venture engine... I want to get this sorted out for future projects and engines. (I'm sure I'll pass Lankee on blown engines sooner or later):biglaugh:

As I understood it the older units actually may have worked better but were not as reliable. They will not interchange (at least without some rewiring that I can tell).

Sean

Back