Dyno run today!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxrooky

Reaction score
Dynoed my MADMAX today was surprised how good she did... 135.2HP AND 79.80 on torque... Stock carb jets K&N stock replacement filter marks exhaust.. Not to shabby I was guessing 115 @ the rear wheel but she did 135.2 at the rear wheel.... This guys shop tunes off the dyno and has won many trophies and the bikes he builds and works on win all the time so I'm pretty sure his dyno is really close to what it says... Yes I know all dynos read different hence why you get bigger numbers out of some certain builders then you dyno it yourself and the number is way low.. Lol seen it happen... This shop is a family business and the dad handed it to the son and they are really nice people... Not typical race shops that just want your money lol.... They have bike nights once in a while free drinks and hotdogs and dyno runs for $25 so it's was pretty cool...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 80
That certainly is a high number. Do you have the whole sheet you can share? There will be info on the type of dyno and other info we would be interested in seeing.

fire medic I know what you want and no this was just a test run it wasn't hooked up to sensors or anything it was just a test run like said for $25.. Not hooked up just went straight off the rear wheel..

Here's some pics of the dyno sheet no air fuel mixture he just rolls it on and dynos it for bragging rights he's not tuning or jetting the bikes just quick dyno run..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 75
High numbers? Most VMAXS have 120HP stock and I have great pipes and a K&N filter and my jetting is pretty dang close a lil on the rich side though...2-3HP with filter and 7-10HP gain with the pipes not to far off from what it should be yes if it said 154.3 ya thats a lil high but for what I have in and on the bike it pretty believable lol...

like K&N claims 21 HP gain with their cold air intake on my 3/4 tom GMC truck YA RIGHT!!!! on a perfect day and when the sun,moon and earth are in line and the temp is perfect and the humidity is perfect and they blow cold air 0 degrees straight into the cold air intake like a turbo lol... you may get those same conditions twice a year if your lucky...lol... I think its more like 5-10HP gain with my cold air intake for my truck lol...

OK, glad you are happy w/it. Most stock VMaxes are less than your 120 HP quote for RWHP. I spent awhile going through the forum archived pure-stock dyno tests, and didn't find one that broke 120 RWHP, maybe someone else knows where one (or more) of those articles are. The collaborative Kosman/Kerker effort famously-written in Cycle World entitled, "Taking it to the Nines" only saw 124 RWHP w/a Kerker 4/1 and DJ Stage 7 jet kit. That bike w/an 18" wire rear wheel, lightening, and wheelie bars, turned a 9.69 sec. 1/4 mile. At Jon Cornell's website, his "120 HP Club" lists 53 stock internals bikes, and your results would put you at #8 on his list w/stock carbs & an exhaust. Many of those bikes listed have aftermarket carbs, DJ ignitions, & 4/1 pipes, which are probably the best system for highest-horsepower numbers, and other mods.

If you're happy w/the bike, that's what matters. Results from 28 years of experienced tuners around the world suggest that your number is what is referred to in statistics as a "rare event," given your essentially stock bike, with its different cans.

Without wheelie bars, our bikes w/that much RWHP should be capable of trap speeds in the high 120's/low 130's, if you're of-a-mind to try the strip once winter leaves. We enjoy the successes of our brother riders. Look at the cheering Sean Morley and CaptainKyle get when they post-up of their successes at the strip, and recently there have been others. Post-'em when you get 'em, those timing slips.

Me? I stay-away from the dynos, they don't like me.:biglaugh:

Here is a link to my favorite VMax intro from 1985: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55030067/CycleWorld May 1985.PDF
It's the one where it's run against a Shelby Cobra 427 SC, w/515 HP.

Great numbers! Not saying that is isn't possible, but I have to think they're a little on the high side, or you are the lucky one. There are some stage 7, 1260cc Vmaxes that aren't pulling that number, maybe someone was been inside your engine, are your the first owner? with 135hp, it looks like you've best do a sacrifice to the Vmax gods cause they definitely blessed you.

Not to say it hasn't happened with other engines, it's very rare that a stock bike with just a pipe will get those numbers. A K&N in the stock airbox isn't going to lend any performance numbers. Just the ability to not have to replace the filter anymore. The stock airbox is the thing that chokes the intake's flow of air.

Here is a flow comparison on the Vmax's intake. 100 being the most restrictive and 0 the least. As you can see the stock airbox isn't any different between the K&N and the stock filter until the intake area is opened up, so there might be a little more hp available. But if that Dyno is right. I wouldn't change a thing on the bike.

Stock box w/ filter 100
Stock box w/ K&N 100
Stock box w/o filter 100
Y removed w/ filter 75
Y removed w/ K&N 68
Trimmed Lid w/ filter 62.5
Trimmed Lid w/ K&N 56
Individual filters 44
Bellmouths 43
Open carbs 37.5

It's whatever dynos are all off anyways I know a few banshee engine builders that trailer there bikes out here to Cali because our dynos have higher numbers or the 0 degree sea level makes more HP? Don't know don't really care like everyone says its just a number.... I can smoke 90% of the Hardley and sport bike riders around here and my rideing style beats the other 8% so there are 2% that are either faster and thier riding skills are better than mine.... Not to worried about numbers... No need to get all wound up I'm sure you've seen more unbelievable things in your life.... I have UFC takes the cake a 110lb guy whoops a 240lb body builder type guy with the same skills??? Explain that one to me? Shit happens is all I can say... So maybe the dyno is off 10hp? 125 HP is pretty dam good for an unchanged bike since 1985? You say tamato I say tamatoe.. End of the day does it really matter? Numbers are on the paper I said it it's in ink so the dyno lied not me? Just a number haus...call me out on it I can't explain it? That's what the paper said... Not gunna dig through endless posts or reseach moto mags for hours have better more important stuff to do with my life and family to prove my point cause frankly I could care less... Want to thank all the peeps that helped me get my bike dialed in with all the info and help... Could have done it without you... If and that's a big if I wanted to just throw her in the shop and spend a chunk of change but I'm the kinda guy that takes pride in what I ride and I can say I did that to my bike with the help of all of you guys thanks again....and another thing my bike is a CALI BIKE should have CALI needles which it doesn't it has the 49state stock needles maybe just maybe that might have a lil part in the numbers? Not sure but the Cali needles are leaner and my carbs are set-up like the 49 state bikes with the jets and the needles... Maybe just maybe???? Never know I'll bet you $100 bucks we could hit all the dynos in the U.S. and would never come up with the same HP on the same bike... Dynos are off... Point blank... This one read 135.2 for my bike?

No need to get upset and no one is calling you a liar. On this forum, believe me, they would do it outright if they were.
Like I said earlier, I wouldn't change a thing. but I'd leave a steak next to the bike for the Vmax gods. lol
On another note, I was checking out pictures of your bike. That is the coolest paint job on your faux. I couldn't have it, I would be constantly trying to wipe off the water droplets and probably cause a wreck.

I know a lot about bikes and jetting... Your HP and jetting changes all day what you have in the morning afternoon and night are all different if your jetting to win... Afternoon we jet a certain way and night races the jets change.... My max runs a lil rich night time air leans a bike out maybe the air leaned her out and I got optimal performance on that run.. Tomorrow morning guarantee the HP number won't be the same unless I rejett my bike..sorry not gunna do that the jets on my banshee take 5 minutes to change and the Vmax jets take at lest an hour or more.. Not that important to me....you don't think pipes don't make that big of a difference I changed a set on my banshee and got 8 bike lengths out of them... My buddy swears more but I don't think so... Been racing a long time I run quads street cars and bikes... Seen bigger HP bikes get beat by less HP bikes on power to weight ratio and gearing ratios, and a lot and I mean a lot also has to do with the rider... My banshee is stock crank and ported and I beat a 4mill crank banshee whom should have more horsepower than my bike and the dude was way lighter than me.. Should have beat me all day and twice on Sunday...

My son painted it for me he painted the inside so the outside would be glossy still.. The window or faux is what your talking about right? Ya didn't like that it had no tint and the Cali sun is brutal here so I'm trying to protect the speedo and stuff... Not upset I was just like really man you researched it and dug up old forums just to say BS? I'm mean like a few members here told me about fuel mileage take it with a grain of salt.. Same goes with DYNO numbers I would think? Maybe the previous owner did motor work doesn't look like it but I could be wrong? Who cares was impressed any who with the number this dyno said my bike had I guessed 115hp the shop owner said 125 and his buddy said no they came stock with 145 and I told him ya at the crank most vmax's are 145 @ the crank.. He said oh I don't know then.. Lol.... If the dyno was off 10hp 125 is still not too shabby?

well just to let you all know how pretty close this dyno is. A stock BMW s1000rr has 194HP @ the crank (claimed) and 179.2HP at the rear wheel.. There was one that was run today was dyno'd at 178.8HP on old gas.. Last year he dyno'd brand new still had dealer plates on it at 180.2HP on the same dyno...So hey maybe the dyno is pretty right on? And I have a badass MADMAX? now I'm really pumped!!! LOL.... its a dynomite dyno I think? don't quote me but thats what the paper said? Never dyno'd before first time usually dyno by the seat of my pants and what the spark plugs tell me.. lol... Englands speed shop he won in 2009 NWBD Pro Street finals... Pretty sure he knows what he's doing...

Dude, calm down. Noone is talking shit, everyone is just stating that unless something is done with the motor (1300+), those #s are not in the 99% of the stock out there. sean morley, captain kyle, and a good dozen other members would back this up. theyve dynoed more bikes than any of us and seans word can be taken as gospel. and even those high numbers are from guys that own dynos or have spent many sessions on the same bike trying to get that .1 hp.

im not talking shit to you either, some of us have been here for 4 - 5 years and have seen all that has been thru this forum. i see youve been here for 3 months and are quite new to the vmax world. there is alot of reading to do.

if you have a 1300cc vmax thats awesome. something id like to get to one of these days. but just understand that as far as you know, you havent said your bike has had a rebuilt engine so one would assume a stock cc'd motor. and we all understand what the capabilities of building a stock motor are.

show a little respect as in this forum noone is going to belittle, berate or make you feel bad. EVERYONE on this forum wants to help you and share what weve experienced. you will see that this is probably the best forum on the net.

Good luck with your bike.

peace,
evan...

NO WAY, hate to burst your bubble but I doubt very much your making that kind of HP from a stock bore bike. 107 -115 is normal with high 1teens being very good. my 1260 with EFI only made 132 and when we put the carbs back on it made 126. if your happy with the way it runs thats what matters, dont be surprised if your number changes alot on a different dyno.

A dyno is only useful for tuning purposes to see if your going in the right direction with your initial tune but other than that they are just bench racing numbers that don't mean anything... Take it to the dragstrip and see what your ET & mph is because that's the only way to know for sure.. I'm with the other guys though, with just a K&N and stock pipes its doubtful that your making 120 at the tire... Nobody is saying this to flame or piss you off, we say it because we all have a lot of time and effort into our bikes and know them better than most.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

my pipes are not stock I have Marks 4 into 2 pipes look at my bike...I'm not pissed just saying...You all have helped me out alot just saying ya I dont know what my motor is but i'm not gunna tear her apart just to prove a point... She runs and the dyno I ran on is pretty consistent with its numbers so maybe it has been rebuilt? but she only had 23700 when I got her a few months back... but its whatever? bullshit thats for you to decide? Joe England and everyone there seemed pretty confident in the numbers they saw weren't outrageous so its whatever...Bullshit if you all say so I guess? What do I get if the numbers are true a goldstar a cookie what? A atta boy? That's all I was looking for in the first place. My set-up ain't stock for Cali. Explain why his dyno seems to pull exactly what BMW says their bike will pull? My bike has marks pipes jetted pretty dang close maybe timing is turned up maybe rebuilt motor not sure but his dyno is pretty accurate..Not sure on the motor maybe it is a 1260 1300 1400 1500, does it really matter as far as I know its stock...Most bikes are at around 110-117HP I have 18 more horse power than most stock bikes wow that's a freaking lot...(that was sarcasm)..So jetting your bike correctly and a good set of pipes does nothing to a bike then why spend the $1000 plus and the time to jet if it doesn't give you anymore HP....Come on fellas..You know better than that..You all are right my bike has marks pipes K&N filter jetted pretty dang close I run super unleaded 91 octane it should not have more than 120HP ok sorry...

Calm down bud, your awful excited and we aren't trying to flame you at all and I apologize for missing the part where you had Mark's exhaust.. Just stating some facts, if you want to end this discussion then race your bike... At a weight of 830lbs (I wasn't sure what you weighed so I used 230lbs for your weight in your helmet, jacket, gloves, ect) and 135hp you should turn a mph of a little over 127mph in the quarter mile give or take a little depending on your launch.. I have a Kerker, Sean's jet kit, very mild head work done on mine and the best I've gotten so far is 119.6mph but my bike with me on it did weigh 880lbs so I am heavier but you get my point.. All any of us are trying to say is even with the mods you've mentioned the dyno numbers are about 10hp high at least and on a bike that is a huge deal.. Again, we aren't trying to insult bud, just trying to inform..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Back