Engine braking when releasing gas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmramon

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I noticed the VMAX has a similar issue than my previous Yamaha R6 and R1 had, when you let go of the gas, it seems the engine puts a ton of engine braking into play, which is terrible around corners when it kicks in unexpectedly?

I recall on the R6 it was as simple as pulling some fuse out, in order to disable this.

Is this the case with the vmax?

Sorry if I'm not clear about the issue, not sure how else to describe it.

Without wishing to sound sarcastic it is easily fixed....don't suddenly close the throttle mid corner. If you need to back off keep the throttle feathered (part open) which will reduce the engine breaking. Alternatively use the next gear up when cornering.

Better still, try to establish why you need to close the throttle, is it possibly due to you entering a corner too fast or the corner tightens up unexpectedly? Adapt your riding style so that you go in slower and/ or look further around it so you can anticipate any changes in the radius of the curve.
I also feather the brake as I enter a bend which enables fine adjustment to corner speed to be made without upsetting the balance of the bike.

By using the techniques above, not only will you probably end up cornering quicker, you will also be able to dispense with your brown underpants!

When my engine breaks mid-corner, I always cry.:confused2:

I agree, chopping throttle mid-corner is asking for trouble, Mr. Midnight is correct. Smooth throttle transitions help the vehicle dynamics. On a shaft-drive bike, chopping the throttle can cause the bike to lessen ground clearance, and you may find hard-parts now-dragging mid-corner. In an extreme case, you may 'lever' the rear tire contact patch enough to lose traction, and cause a slide or crash. :damn angry:

I haven't ridden the new VMax you have but I would imagine the difference in power from the R6 to the new 1700cc beast you now own would be quite significant. With that being said I would tend to agree with Fire Medic and Mr. Midnight. I think once you become a little more experienced on the Max your mid corner "engine braking" will go away, that being said I would recommend watching "Twist of the Wrist 2", it is a movie you can watch on YouTube that a lot of racers have used over the years to improve their riding skill. I have watched the movie and also downloaded the book and it has made a world of difference in how I ride bikes. It was suggested to me by a friend of mine who is a professional bike racer. Anyhow the acting is terrible but the information is top notch. Here is the link. Hope you watch it and get what i got out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWLIfChUwg

Yes the Gen 2 has a ton of engine braking, especially in the lower gears, higher rpms- Feels like someone threw an anchor out lol! More seat time, and gentle transitions helped me get used to it, to the point where it doesn't bother me any more. I plan on a Nash Flash this winter, so that should help as well. :biglaugh:

It was a known 'difficulty' with the Gen II Maxes, but the Nash flash takes out a SIGNIFICANT amount of it. Really no comparison between the throttle responses - after experiencing the much smoother Nash flash, you'd never want to ride another stock Gen II. And that isn't even getting into all the other advances in performance you get with the Flash.

Even an experienced rider will have occasions where he might need to get off, then back into, the throttle mid-corner - schit happens. Get the Nash flash, you won't regret it.....worth every penny IMO.

If you plan to leave the bike otherwise stock, then yes. If you plan future mods(exhaust, Intake) you can send it back to reflash to the new set-up for I believe $50? Excellent deal, I plan on sending my ECU out next week or so myself- Can't wait to unleash the Beast!!!

The nash flash can help also Guruedgear.com

That is correct. The re-flash greatly reduces engine braking, which many find annoying.

Some of the best money you can spend on a Gen 2 VMax.......really makes it even more of a pleasure to ride.

No.....I would recommend this one: http://guruedgear.com/ecu-reflash-service-stock-performance-version-2.html#.VLyJu0fF-kE

More money but well worth it IMO. It includes individual cylinder fuel tuning and is really what you are looking for. The other is really designed for bikes that are modded and tuned, and running a map with a Power Commander.

^^^ Will this tune make it use more gas? IF anything I'd prefer to detune the bike, to get more range.

^^^ Will this tune make it use more gas? IF anything I'd prefer to detune the bike, to get more range.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone wanting to 'detune' their Vmax. Most people don't buy a Vmax, especially a Gen II Vmax, to get good mileage.

Besides, I'll have you know, I can get over 85 miles on a tank with my 09, and I think that's incredible - considering how fast I covered that 85 miles and the smiles I got in getting there.

Not saying I want to de-tune it... simply saying that I'm happy with the power it has, and wish I could get a little more mileage between fill-ups. I'm usually putting 100-150 mile days when I ride. (at minimum)

Not saying I want to de-tune it... simply saying that I'm happy with the power it has, and wish I could get a little more mileage between fill-ups. I'm usually putting 100-150 mile days when I ride. (at minimum)

My bad - thought I read where you wanted to "detune the bike". I must have imagined it. I imagine more and more things as I get older. :biglaugh: Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I know you only want to detune it.

It's all good - I know exactly what you meant. I was only funnin' with you. I'd like to get better mileage out of mine as well. I put together AUX fuel tanks for both our 09's to achieve longer range, but those tanks sure don't hide very well on the tail section....and that newer, European version of tank is simply too expensive (IMO), and as far as I know, still not available to anyone in the USA anyway.

This some good info - school a old man guy's.

My bike is getting around 28 miles to the gallon... I did pull the carbs, i had on and re-jetted the new old carbs i hope for better gas miles this year. I like taking road trips.

I order the book of amazon that was in the video just like to read it to see what info is in it.

Thanks for posting the video...

http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Vol-High-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/0965045021

Not sure if it's my riding style, or I just got lucky but I average 30mpg around town and as high as 34/35 on the highway on a long trip with my 2010. I plan to Nash Flash it soon, along with the TT airbox mod, and pipes so I don't know what it'll do after that. I'm happy with 30, just wish like everyone else that owns one that they had put at least a 5gl tank in it, but....:bang head:

Latest posts

Back