Ethanol issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
One of the biggest problems, if I'm reading it correctly, with ethanol in motorcycle engines is the deterioration of certain rubber parts in the fuel system. Seafoam is terrific stuff but, being mostly alcohol, probably contributes to the problem.
Has anyone ever thought about putting together a replacement kit of the parts and pieces that could be affected? Although ethanol hasn't been around long enough to establish a time frame yet, maybe something like.........every X years you get a kit containing fuel line, carb boots, o-rings, etc. and replace those items as a routine maintenance thing.

Does this make any sense? :ummm:

I run 10% ethonal in all my stuff. We've had it here in Iowa for as long as I can remember. Are you talking about E85? I've heard a bunch of stories about having to swtich out hoses etc to run it, but most of it is myth.

BEFORE I GO THROUGH ALL OF THAT , I'M GOING TO GET A NEW BUSA TO RUN QUARTERHORSE !:rofl_200:

Danny, in the lastest issue of V-Boost magazine good acticle on ethanol by a petro engineer. Sea Foam is a myth in terms of cleaning, you can get the same stuff at a drug store a lot cheaper, isopropyl alcohol. 10% ethanol will not cause damage. 85% mixture will. You can see for your self. Buy a 10 cent o'ring and drop it into a sealed container with a small amount of pump and leave it sit for a month or so. That article was very informative. I suggest reading it. It did raise some questions for me. I got some aviation fuel, mixed it with pump and ran it in my Max. 100 octane,leaded and no ethanol. Noticable more power. Why?

Not sure but must be an additive not present in the regular stuff? I can't see how octane allow will increase performance.

Danny, in the lastest issue of V-Boost magazine good acticle on ethanol by a petro engineer. Sea Foam is a myth in terms of cleaning, you can get the same stuff at a drug store a lot cheaper, isopropyl alcohol. 10% ethanol will not cause damage. 85% mixture will. You can see for your self. Buy a 10 cent o'ring and drop it into a sealed container with a small amount of pump and leave it sit for a month or so. That article was very informative. I suggest reading it. It did raise some questions for me. I got some aviation fuel, mixed it with pump and ran it in my Max. 100 octane,leaded and no ethanol. Noticable more power. Why?

Forestdale, It was the article that prompted me to write this thread wondering what others were thinking.

Is deterioration caused by ethanol an issue? Not an issue? What can we do about,if anything? :confused2:

danny

Latest posts

Back