Exhaust removal questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Removed my stock exhaust today in prep for my fancy new HMF's. Couple of questions: I pulled these off the rear headers:

IMG_6875.jpg

I assume the small rings are the exhaust gaskets and the larger rings are used to secure the pipes into the engine. Is that right? I did not pull anything like this off the front headers, nor could i find them in the engine itself. Could I have missed them somewhere? Another question. The large metal 'shields' that bolt onto the engine case came off the rear headers real easy, but I haven't got them off the front pipes yet. Do I need to pull off the "H" to slide them off that end? The end that goes into the engine has a big lip on it, and the rings won't slide past it. Does this lip come off somehow? Id that where the gaskets are? When I put on the new system, should I get some new gaskets? Everything was fairly rusted. Here is a pic:

IMG_6871.jpg

BTW if anyone has an interest in these pipes shoot me a PM. They are pretty much scrap metal for me, and I'd be happy to donate them. They are NOT in great shape, but I don't think they are beyond repair either. THanks!

Looks like you left a piece on the rear cylinders. The rear headers are joined to the bits I'm talking about by a pair of clamps. Those other bits are held on to the heads by the same allen round nuts that are found at the front.

AFAIK the front 'shields' do not come off the pipes, they are part of them. Your new system won't use them or look like that, from what's I've seen on other bikes running aftermarket systems.

Dave, it's a good idea to replace all four gaskets as the stock pipes can be torqued unevenly making the old gaskets thicker on one side than the other. This may give you problems getting your new pipes to line up and/or be difficult to seal.

Your old gaskets are prolly pinched inside the exhaust ports....look closely and you will see them. I use a small screwdriver to get them out.

yea same to what nG said looks like u missed the last little piece on the rear headers. and +1 to danny, always use new gaskets. i got my rear ones with a pair of pliers, very gently. front ones fell out. any more ?'s take some pics as i'm not 100% sure which shields ur talking about.

Latest posts

Back