exhaust?? which one?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasnparts

Reaction score
Hi needing opinions of what exhaust I should get.
1. Don't want it too loud and obnoxious
2. Want it to last a long time
3. Need it to look good
What would you recommend?

From what everyone's been saying, you definitely want the Marks.

OTOH, the OEM one is also great - quiet, lasts 4eva and looks great!

Of course you could just get a pair of slip-ons to save weight and get better sound - I love my Jardines. Shame they don't make them anymore!

Your options range from modifing your factory pipes to a full exhaust system. Looking for max performance - A full system from Marks Performance /Jet kit & tune. Want to make a little noise - A set of slip ons from Supertrapp or Kerker and some minor tuning will do. Money no option? Do you need to retain your centerstand? How long do you plan on keeping the bike?
A couple things to consider......

Yankee

This is probably a really stupid question. Where can you Marks exhaust? I've looked and can't find it. Thanks.

Hey Eagle, Do you have any other videos of your exhaust with the bike moving? I've been looking for all the Mark's clips I can find, and only a couple have the bike moving.

Hey Eagle, Do you have any other videos of your exhaust with the bike moving? I've been looking for all the Mark's clips I can find, and only a couple have the bike moving.

No I don't but I will take some once I get my bike back together..

This was my bike when I bought it and it had UFO pipes on it, Every penny I paid for Mark's was well worth it.The UFO was way too loud for me and I didn't like the sound to boot, neither did the cops I got a ticket for loud exhaust the first day riding it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyqWX-NdJYA

Ron

Don't know about the other brands, but you will be happy with the Mark's. I was worried they would be too loud...I like to converse with the wife while riding. I was very impressed with the fact that they give a throaty V-8 rumble, but still are not "annoyingly" loud. Hope it helps.

Paul, tried sending an email back to you on the info you requested but it bounced back so not sure if you got it. Here's what I put in there:

For something a bit louder a simple set of supertrapp slip-ons is about the least expensive and best sounding ($315 black / $380 stainless plus $30 shipping). They won't really give you any more HP but they are significantly lighter then the stock mufflers. For a good power increase you would need to swap out to a full header and something like the Kerker 4-2-1 ($760 plus optional $100 - 2.5" Comp Baffle and $50 shipping) or Marks Performance Pipes/Dale Walker Holeshots are a good choice.

The supertrapps would work best with a couple sizes smaller main jet - 147.5 ($10 a set) but no jet kit. The full headers work fine with no jet kit but can work even better with one of our Muscle Jet kits ($220 plus optional $50 adjustable needles and $25 shipping) or a stage seven dynojet kit ($220 plus individual filters which I haven't priced in a very long time).

Sean

Found this on a YouTube search, not my bike but they are Mark's exhaust and they are while riding.. hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2HtxfNIywU

Yep, that is one I listen to every so often...there just aren't that many with them moving. I've also listened to the one maleko89 made for us, and I'd really like to hear his on the move, as it sounds awesome in the garage.

The Holeshot pipes from Dale Walker are the best looking IMO. Very nicely polished and fit the bike well. Marks pipes sound better IMO. You can get Marks pipes in a few configurations. 4-1 or 4-2, 12" or 14" cans, 2" or 2.25" or 2.5" outlets on the mufflers. The longer the muffler and the smaller the outlet, the quieter the pipe. I had short cans with large outlets. It was friggen' loud...in a good way:biglaugh: Sound absolutely awesome. I've heard the holeshots in person and I don't think the sound compares but they sure are purty.

This was my bike when I bought it and it had UFO pipes on it, Every penny I paid for Mark's was well worth it.The UFO was way too loud for me and I didn't like the sound to boot, neither did the cops I got a ticket for loud exhaust the first day riding it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyqWX-NdJYA

Ron

Yep... Heard several of them and they all sound like that. Like bolts beating around inside the system or something... Too loud and IMO not very well put together.

I Do like Mark's and would never suggest amuthing else. !!!!!!I like the way my bike sounds now compared to how it sounded with the UFO pipes. But it's been a year since I got them now.. :)

The Holeshot pipes from Dale Walker are the best looking IMO. Very nicely polished and fit the bike well. Marks pipes sound better IMO. You can get Marks pipes in a few configurations. 4-1 or 4-2, 12" or 14" cans, 2" or 2.25" or 2.5" outlets on the mufflers. The longer the muffler and the smaller the outlet, the quieter the pipe. I had short cans with large outlets. It was friggen' loud...in a good way:biglaugh: Sound absolutely awesome. I've heard the holeshots in person and I don't think the sound compares but they sure are purty.

You answered the next question I was going to ask! I wondered how many different 4-2 configurations he offered. Is the 2.5 outlet a turn down tip? How loud is "friggen" loud? :) Right now I'm running Trapps, which are certainly louder, but not what I would call annoyingly loud.

You answered the next question I was going to ask! I wondered how many different 4-2 configurations he offered. Is the 2.5 outlet a turn down tip? How loud is "friggen" loud? :) Right now I'm running Trapps, which are certainly louder, but not what I would call annoyingly loud.

Turn downs don't make it less loud but it does make it less boomy in the helmet IMO.

I went with the straight out the back style as I wear ear plugs anyway and I'm not a fan of Marks tips. (they need a rolled edge)

12" with 2.5 is LOUD but no where near as loud as UFO's.

14" with 2.25 is loud but really not too bad.

He'll make them longer than that too. Remember this guy custom makes exhausts for all sorts of things. Dune buggy's and such.

Chris

Mark will install turndown tips on any of his mufflers if you request it.

Friggen loud is friggen loud. On the same level as a loud H-D but it sounds like a mean big block with headers instead of your grandma farting into a megaphone :biglaugh:

Turn downs don't make it less loud but it does make it less boomy in the helmet IMO.

I went with the straight out the back style as I wear ear plugs anyway and I'm not a fan of Marks tips. (they need a rolled edge)

12" with 2.5 is LOUD but no where near as loud as UFO's.

14" with 2.25 is loud but really not too bad.

He'll make them longer than that too. Remember this guy custom makes exhausts for all sorts of things. Dune buggy's and such.

Chris

Agreed on Mark's turn down tips! I wish they had the rolled edge like HMF or Holeshots. I asked Mark if he could do that but he said no :ummm: His turn downs are basically a piece of bent stainless tubing attached to the end of the can. I didn't really like the look. No offense to any that do.

Latest posts

Back