First Time On My Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVxNitemare

Reaction score
Okay, I did the motorcycle training course (on a Suzuki DR200 no less lol) and got thru that easily. Haven't touch Max in 2 months cause I wanted to learn first. Now I have my permit, and my friend was supposed to ride with me tonight but bailed to BBQ. Anyway, I couldn't wait any longer. Took her for a little spin to see what it is like. MY GOD. I didn't go any further than 1/4 throttle cause I am a new rider and have been warned. But MY FGOD!!!. 40 km/hr is a joke... actually, it's almost impossible. I have to shift to 2nd and RELEASE the thottle and idle down the road. I shifted to 3rd so I could roll some throttle on to see what it feels like. 3rd gear felt like 1st on the DR200. MY GOD!!!! This bike is retarded. I like it though, I just need to get used to it.
One question, is the steering that easy to move back and forth at 40km/hr? Seemed a little loose to me, but I have no experience except the DR200. I've heard so much about the wobble that I noticed it, but I think it's my nerves over reacting cause I was only going slow. Faster I went the less I noticed it. (Up to 50 km/hr). Thoughts? It's a 2005 with very little mileage on it and was checked out at the dealer. I'd say it's mainly me and that it's a very easy bike to turn.

Oh one more thing MY GOD!!!!!

I would just choc it up to nerves and over analyzing for now ,...It may be a little loose ,..no biggy. i can talk you through a procedure if you'ld like to tighten it.
Welcome to the realm of MAX. :punk:

Hey Nightmare, welcome to the big boys. Isn't 40 KMH something like 25 MPH? Regardless, be very careful getting used to Mr. Max. He likes to take a ride.....whether he has a rider or not. You'll get used to it fast enough, then you won't ever want to ride another bike. Be careful on the cornering, the front end is a little loose. There is a fix for it which entails moving some washers around in the handle tree. I didn't bother with it, just got used to the handling. On corners at high speed it can wobble a little making for a fun ride.
Remember a VMAX is not like any other bike. Insane speeds are possible. DO NOT underestimate this piece of machinery!!

I agree with these guys.
Be mindful and be very aware of your speed. ESPECIALLY GOING INTO TURNS.
The VMax is not the nimblest of bikes and you can very easily go too wide on a turn when you are not used to leaning it into turns. IT takes lots of practice to get used to it.

Remember the safety measures you were taught in the class and you will be fine.
Don't be afraid of her, but Don't out ride your abilities either.

Enjoy the Ride!

WVxNitemare,

I've owned 7 VMAX'S in my life, it's very true once you buy one you will never want another bike, at least that is what I feel. I had 3 kawasaki's and then a Honda V 65 before my first VMAX.

The one bit of advice I can give you is learn

R E S P E C T for the VMAX and you'll be fine and love it :punk:

Ron

Welcome aboard Bro ! You're smarter than I was - I bought a '96 basket case & fixed the carbs BEFORE fixing the brakes ! :bang head: LOL - no probs. Stay cautious like you are & you will grow into it. The VMAX is docile if you don't push it. Welcome to your new addiction !:biglaugh:

Oh I got plenty of respect when I rolled the throttle in 3rd gear thinking it was way too high a gear tp generate power at low speed... but no... MAX said gimme and still rolled quicker to 40mph then I was expecting. This bike just SCREAMS torque. I mean, you take a car at 20 mph in 3rd and it will pretty much die... not MAX. It just pours out torque until it's ready,,, lol. Yeah I'm gonna like this bike. I can tell. Just need to get used to all that power under my arse. Better than sex... lol. Tomorrow I'm gonna go for a longer but gentle ride to get used to her.

It'll definately take a while to get used to. I had a '82 yamaha 400 before the Max, and just got it this Feb. I'm still trying to stay within guidelines of when the power is accepted, how much I need to lean into turns, and especially 1st gear turns from a stoplight with bad road(on my way home from work) I always get a little anxious with the feeling that I might hit the bumps wrong and blip the throttle too much... however, you'll get used to it over time. Don't jump in too fast.

It'll definately take a while to get used to. I had a '82 yamaha 400 before the Max, and just got it this Feb. I'm still trying to stay within guidelines of when the power is accepted, how much I need to lean into turns, and especially 1st gear turns from a stoplight with bad road(on my way home from work) I always get a little anxious with the feeling that I might hit the bumps wrong and blip the throttle too much... however, you'll get used to it over time. Don't jump in too fast.

I had a 1983 cx 650 Honda and got my Vmax in April.....

Mr. Macho hit it exactly right....

I am still learning this beast....it is fun tho....:biglaugh:

Just ease your way into it.....you'll be fine:punk:

Just take it 1 ride at a time you will know when its time to "Unleash the Legend of the Beast" , but you do have to remember that the Max can bite when you least expect it . But i think you will be fine . :punk:

This thread makes me wish I had encountered a Max early on in my riding career. I've owned over twenty bikes before buying my '01, and my observation was "Wow, this really goes boom.". I can't imagine the rush of trying out the Max as a first or second machine. I'm jealous.

Just don't get cocky, it's plenty easy to grab a handful and light the rear during low speed cornering, and while high-side lessons are free, they're not painless.

Im siting here reading this thread with a smile on my face. maybe still from last night or the ride to work this morning or maybe because I just like my max so much. I have rode a few bikes over the years & ofcourse dirtbikes when I was a kid but this to is MY first bike. I anylize stuff way to much so I know a still make a different or a new mistake everytime I ride but the real satisfaction comes when you learn about & work on it yourself. There are some good guys that take time answer any & all of your (my) questions. oh ya by the way got the stage 7 installed & am getting really close to where it needs to be.:biglaugh: Thanks to Mark & Sean!

I have road alot of different bikes in my time. My Max by far is the funnest at the same time it also demands respect like no other bike I have ever had. Taking time to learn Mr. Max is a must unless you want to rebuild it.

Take your time have fun and you and Mr. Max will have a long life.

Went for the first long run today. 100 km, or 60 miles. My friends with R6 and FZ1 took me out. Did the speed limit, took my time. Got to know Max more. Manageable now. I'm not scared of the bike anymore, still respect it, but not scared. Checked air pressure, down 3 psi front and rear. Corrected that. No more low speed wobble, although I think it wasn't a wobble, just me being loose on the steering. Very nice today. I had a ton of fun. I did roll the throttle a little just to get the feeling, very nice. What's the normal temp operating range of this bike? I was about 3/4 to red, which I thought was high, but my buddies said is normal. At idlle the fan cut in. Anyone else even notice that?

Went for the first long run today. 100 km, or 60 miles. My friends with R6 and FZ1 took me out. Did the speed limit, took my time. Got to know Max more. Manageable now. I'm not scared of the bike anymore, still respect it, but not scared. Checked air pressure, down 3 psi front and rear. Corrected that. No more low speed wobble, although I think it wasn't a wobble, just me being loose on the steering. Very nice today. I had a ton of fun. I did roll the throttle a little just to get the feeling, very nice. What's the normal temp operating range of this bike? I was about 3/4 to red, which I thought was high, but my buddies said is normal. At idlle the fan cut in. Anyone else even notice that?

These bikes run hot. Mine does that in traffic and then cools down as I ride. Nothing to worry about unless it goes above the red dash thats 3/4 up on the gauge. Practice hitting it going straight only at first with plenty of room in front of you. That should make things more manageable.

These bikes run hot. Mine does that in traffic and then cools down as I ride. Nothing to worry about unless it goes above the red dash thats 3/4 up on the gauge. Practice hitting it going straight only at first with plenty of room in front of you. That should make things more manageable.

Yeah it don''t get that high. I'm used to cars that's all, nothing more than halfway. YOU GUYS ROCK BTW. I'm SOOOO glad I joined this forum. I feel like this whole place is like one big Vmax family. Thanks so much for all the info. BTW, you max looks just like mine, it's a 2005 annv edition.

I have road alot of different bikes in my time. My Max by far is the funnest at the same time it also demands respect like no other bike I have ever had. Taking time to learn Mr. Max is a must unless you want to rebuild it.

Take your time have fun and you and Mr. Max will have a long life.

Will have to agree with you there , i get lots of looks at my bike when its parked on the side of the road from lots of riders of other bikes .
I get the usual "Nice bike" or "I always wanted one of those" :clapping::punk:

One thing I learned after riding a VMax for 24 years is to make sure you've got it aimed before you pull the trigger! Maxes were never known for handling, and it is very true that if you're not careful, it's really easy to run wide in a sweeper.

Take your time, and don't do anything crazy. You're gonna absolutely get to love that bike.:punk:

Mine runs hot too as soon as you start hitting stop lights. Nothing dangerous as far as the guage goes, just uncomfortable on the bike. Water wetter in the next two weeks.
The max is awesome as far as power and torque, but take a busa or a zx for a spin if you want scary fast. It's not that the max aint bad, it's giving up damn near 200 lbs to the crotch rockets, gen 1 still turns heads and demands respect. Any shit talking R1 riders want to talk shit, just tell them you will race them straight up if they go two up with one of their bff squids on the back of their bike to make it fair:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I'll tell you the same thing that the guy that sold me my bike
told me.
"Ride the bike don't let it ride you."
Definitely a fun bike with weaker brakes and suspenders.
That motor can over power the chassis in a hurry.
Take it slow and you can upgrade the brakes and suspension.
Just don't mistake it for one of your buddy's crotch rockets
in the twisties. Mr Max has a charm all it's own though.
Kinda like a shark in the fish bowl. May not be the quickest
but don't let him get a hold of your ass !!

Back