First time owner of '97 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelerBike

Reaction score
Hey guys 'n' gals, I just made my mad max purchase after 24 years of wanting. I have many questions for you all.

1. What MPG should I expect using 93 Octane?
2. Is there mod to move the foot pegs about an inch forward? I only have a 30 inch inseam and when I put my feet down, the pegs are in my way.
3. It's been many years since I've had a carburated bike--what should I do to keep it healthy? Bike has 23,000+ miles on it.
4. Any good luggage solutions? I'm looking for locking and easily detachable panniers.

Thanks All,
Steeler

Use should get anywhere from 90 -110 miles until to hit then red fuel light .
This depends on how you ride it . Mine got to 160kms when the light went on (lots of boosting) but i have managed close to 200kms (without) . I have also riden from redlight to empty - 43 kms .
Not sure on footpegs but you could always run a pair off the engine guards if you have some .
Balancing the carbs and keeping them balanced does wonders , also give them a good clean .
As for the panniers , go on to naughtyg s page and have a look at his album ,
But he wont be far away from commenting on his thread .

And post some pics of ya new ride , congrads and welcome .. :clapping::punk:

Hey guys 'n' gals, I just made my mad max purchase after 24 years of wanting. I have many questions for you all.

1. What MPG should I expect using 93 Octane?
2. Is there mod to move the foot pegs about an inch forward? I only have a 30 inch inseam and when I put my feet down, the pegs are in my way.
3. It's been many years since I've had a carburated bike--what should I do to keep it healthy? Bike has 23,000+ miles on it.
4. Any good luggage solutions? I'm looking for locking and easily detachable panniers.

Thanks All,
Steeler

Hey Steeler, welcome to the forum!

1. well tuned max should get 120 miles till red light goes on - 87 octane is fine - any higher is a waste of money
2. may think of getting rearsets for the bike - there are mid set pegs available - I think from exactrep
3. a couple of ounces of seafoam in a full tank every 4-5 tanks of gas - invest in a carb sync tool
4. Fatmax makes a nice hard bag - like the ones on Naugthy G's bike - I have soft bags (small and large set) but not locking

Enjoy the max and post some pics.

Mike

Thank you all for your responses. Naughty G's bike is awesome.

I'll post pics later. The only thing changed on the bike is the Corbin seat.

I do have a pitting problem. Is it cheaper to buy used parts or have the aluminum re-platted?

Thanks!

Thank you all for your responses. Naughty G's bike is awesome.

I'll post pics later. The only thing changed on the bike is the Corbin seat.

I do have a pitting problem. Is it cheaper to buy used parts or have the aluminum re-platted?

Thanks!

i'd consider chroming or p/c those parts. morley does an excellent exchange program (one2dmax)

Welcome!
Get with Sean Morley (One2dmax) and look into his chrome exchange. Pricey but GREAT quality and chrome is MUCH better for long term good looks.

Mine is all black so no chrome. That's another way to go. Have everything powder coated the color of your choice.

Don't run 93... It's a waste of money on a stock engine. 87 will run stronger and cost less.

Cheers,
Chris
Da Bears!

Thanks for all your awesome ideas. This is definatly a project bike with a great deal of potential.

by the way, what is the claimed horsepower and torque on my '97?

It's the lowest year man, you should have bought my 05.

Seriously, they are all about the same. stock will be 110-115 rwhp and around 75-80 torque.

Sean Morley

Thanks for all your awesome ideas. This is definatly a project bike with a great deal of potential.

by the way, what is the claimed horsepower and torque on my '97?

lets see some pics man???? where did ya pick the bike up from, ive noticed a bunch of 97 for sale on ebay these days...

It's the lowest year man, you should have bought my 05.

Seriously, they are all about the same. stock will be 110-115 rwhp and around 75-80 torque.

Sean Morley

And just how much did you want for your '05?

I should have joined this forum before I made my purchase.

I did take a pic of my fleet but it turned out like hell. I'll post soon.

Okay, here are a few peeks. .

VMAX004.jpg

VMAX003.jpg

My buddy just sold his Vmax, moved to TN and bought a used K1200R...

Good bikes. I wanted one when they came out. Now I want a 1300R... lol

Your 97 is clean enough. Looks like maybe some chrome exchange will take care of the corrosion that has started (and is normal on these bikes). My 05 (95xx miles) is for sale for $6000 and the 03 I have is for sale for $4500 ($12,5xx miles). Both are stock but my 05 has an overdrive trans we offer already installed.

Sean

Your 97 is clean enough. Looks like maybe some chrome exchange will take care of the corrosion that has started (and is normal on these bikes). My 05 (95xx miles) is for sale for $6000 and the 03 I have is for sale for $4500 ($12,5xx miles). Both are stock but my 05 has an overdrive trans we offer already installed.

Sean

Damn, if only I'd met you sooner. I would have looked at your '03. Do you want to trade and I'll give you a few bucks to make up the difference???

I paid 4 Gs for mine. Please don't tell me I'm an idiot.

I'm not sure I want to go with chrome (in other words--I have to check with my GF!) It's OUR project bike :biglaugh: (that's how I justified 3 bikes)

Damn, if only I'd met you sooner. I would have looked at your '03. Do you want to trade and I'll give you a few bucks to make up the difference???

I paid 4 Gs for mine. Please don't tell me I'm an idiot.

I'm not sure I want to go with chrome (in other words--I have to check with my GF!) It's OUR project bike :biglaugh: (that's how I justified 3 bikes)
nice bike, congrats again.
so you coming to the canton NY pizza run on sat??? gonna be a bunch of us and a blast.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=9261

I'm sure we could work out some kind of trade in but with shipping it would eat up more of your money. I did rebuild the 03 carbs and put in new fork seals. The bike isn't perfect by any means and your's still looks good to me.

You could easily spend the same difference and get chrome and other stuff from me and be just as happy. There we no real significant changes from your year to this one.

Sean

Oh, and by the way, the $4000 is still a very good price. It's just that I happen to have low enough money in these to offer them at those prices. And the economy being down is hurting everything.

Sean

nice bike, congrats again.
so you coming to the canton NY pizza run on sat??? gonna be a bunch of us and a blast.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=9261

Hmmmmm...Pizza!!! Man, I have too much yard/exterior house work to do. Besides, I'm taking the beast to the dealership tonight for inspection. I need a new rear tire and a few other things. I probably won't have it back until next week.

I'm sure we could work out some kind of trade in but with shipping it would eat up more of your money. I did rebuild the 03 carbs and put in new fork seals. The bike isn't perfect by any means and your's still looks good to me.

You could easily spend the same difference and get chrome and other stuff from me and be just as happy. There we no real significant changes from your year to this one.

Sean

Oh, and by the way, the $4000 is still a very good price. It's just that I happen to have low enough money in these to offer them at those prices. And the economy being down is hurting everything.

Sean

I will check out your chrome. Thanks for making me feel good about my purchase price.

whats the dealer doin that you can't? a lot of people have had bad luck at dealers. i'd try to do a lot of the work yourself, first, if possible.

Back