Frame Steel?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1st Shirt Maxer

Reaction score
I know someone on here can tell me what kind/type of steel our frames are made of? I'm getting ready to install a set of frame braces that require one end to have a tab welded for its mounting point and my aircraft welding buddy wants to know type of metal? I was a welder for a few years before I came into the air force but everything I was welding on was stainless so I never got to into the particulars of welding. Thanks for the help in advance

Any regular steel will blend... as you know just make sure its free from rust and paint when welding. TIG weld will give you a better finish and no splatter. Cover the bike properly around the welding area.

Frame is mild steel, you can weld it (tig) with general purpose ms rods or stainless rods.
I use stainless on just about everything.

stainless ros is best but the mild steel rod will work fine.

Why would you use stainless on mild steel. I know it can be done but would there be a reason? I think the ductility would be more brittle with stainless although probably insignificant I would still use like material , ie: ER70S wire

It's got a higher tension strength and the weld will not rust (which when you add heat this will make a normal steel weld rust faster). It's not needed for sure but also no reason not to either.

It's got a higher tension strength and the weld will not rust (which when you add heat this will make a normal steel weld rust faster). It's not needed for sure but also no reason not to either.

Its going to rust in the HAZ regardless , and more then likely a proper weld with stainless on mild steel will mix with the mild steel so that it will rust anyway :ummm:

Inevitable no matter what you do! Keep it clean and finished (paint, coat, or chrome).

Still waiting on the braces but will post pics once we get them in place. As for the coating, can't wait to have you PC my frame to get rid of all the crap and rust I have. Guam is rough on metal with all the salt and the intense sun.

You can use a ER309 stainless tig wire that is for welding stainless to carbon. However I would still stick with a ER70S-2 tig wire. Do not use ER70S-6 because it works better at higher elevations. It will have issues with silica.... Trust me on this I deal with welding issues daily at work.

Latest posts

Back