front brakes locked up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douknowd22630

Reaction score
My has the front brakes locked on it, I rode it sunday and it was fine went out today to go to class on it and the brakes were locked up. Any ideas or things to look for. thanks

Could have an air bubble issue. I'd bleed them and see where that gets you.
It also could be as simple as too much fluid, or some crud is in your master cyl preventing fluid to flow back in to the reservior.

If it's still stuck, start loosening the banjo bolts at the different connections. For example with the brakes stuck, if loosening the bolt at the master cylinder makes no difference, then that rules out the master cylinder.
If you loosen the bolt where the single like connects to the junction block and the brakes still stick, then you go to the lower lines.
If you loosed the bolt at the caliper and fluid squirts out and the brake releases, you know it's that lower line.
If the brake stays locked, then it's the piston stuck in the cylinder.

Being an 89, if the Brake Fluid hasn't been changed out, it may have gone bad... I just did this to my 98 Dodge Truck. The fluid that was there was allowing Anti Lock and Brake Failure lights to come on... Brake fluid does wear out...

Good Luck

As part of routine servicing brake fluid should be changed every two years.

Also make sure that the lever pivot is free and that the master cylinder piston can return to its fully out position. Check for crud behind the retaining circlip.

You could also try un-bolting the caliper's and try to pull of the disks. If both are 'stuck' then it is likely to be a master cylinder problem.
If it is one side only then investigate seized pistons.

well guys i think that its the lines bcuz I went out today and was tinkering with it and it moved freely, just figured i would let u know, so now I need order a set of brake lines, Im thinking that I will go with a braided set. Thanks for the help

Now I have another problem guys Idk if it attributed to the front brakes locking up on me or not, but here it is. The Master cylinder for the front brakes looks like its leaking around the sight glass but Im not 100% sure really havent had time to mess with it lately school has been pretty busy

Latest posts

Back