front wheel bearings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamster66

Reaction score
after trying to figure out if the noise in the front wheel was indeed the rotors being warped, I found today one wheel bearing is shot (destroyed is probably a better word for it)
Are these pressed in or are they easy to remove/put in?
also....since one bearing pack was totally messed up, will that hurt the wheel....should I get it checked for any damage?

I've replaced my front wheel bearings. They are pressed in, but not very hard, just a tight fit.
I just knocked them out with a suitable punch from the inside, and fitted the new ones with a suitably-sized socket. I would check the mating surfaces in the wheel carefully, and make sure not to forget the spacer between the two bearings b4 refitting the second one, like some idiot PO did on my ride..

thanks gamorg02....I've got one....just have to find it (been remodeling and everything around here is chaotic...lol)

thanks gamorg02....I've got one....just have to find it (been remodeling and everything around here is chaotic...lol)

no problem. the manual basically says to use a drift and sockets....

good luck bro!

Here's a blast from the past. There was a recall on the '85s and we all got a
new set of wheel bearings. The recall was for something with the speedo drive, if I remember correctly. Mine didn't have the problem, so the dealer just handed me a set of wheel bearings, and said to hang on to them. 24 years and 120,000 miles later, I still have them wrapped up in the waxed paper - never taken out of the box. I may have them put in when the guy mounts the front tire. Think they'll be OK after the years in the box?

that bearing belongs in the junkyard..where all bad bearings end up

The original bearings on the '85 were still holding up Ok, but were replaces along with the front tire. It had to be time by now...... Better new bearings after 120K miles, than having one disentigrate at 121K!

Latest posts

Back