Fuel Light/Reserve

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorgBiker

Reaction score
I thought I had it figured out, I really did. After reading several threads regarding the fuel light and reserve switch, I came to the conclusion that I should leave the switch to the left, moving it to the right after the fuel light comes on. And it seemed to work until recently.

This morning as I was warming the bike up, I noticed that my trip meter was showing 82.xx miles. Based on past experience, this tells me that I have somewhere between 10 and 28 miles before the light comes on, depending on how hard I've been riding. And then I should have something like 1/2 to 1 gallon after that to get me to the next gas station. While riding in heavy freeway traffic this morning, the light came on when the trip meter said 92.xx miles, which is at the bottom of my expected range, but still acceptable.

I had already moved the switch to the right position a few miles back, as I was in heavy Monday morning traffic and didn't need the extra distraction. At 95.xx miles, the motor starts acting like there's no gas! I jiggled the switch back and forth, and managed to get to 96.xx before it died, forcing me to coast to the shoulder of this VERY busy freeway.

Still calm (no idea how), I moved the switch firmly to the left, and firmly to the right a few times, then tried to restart the engine. The starter acted like it didn't have any power for a moment, then fired the bike up. It seemed to have normal power again, so I rode down the next exit to hunt down a gas station.

3 miles riding down Ventura Blvd and I found a gas station, but not without having the bike nearly die several more times. It seemed like I was getting gas only by moving the switch back and forth every minute or so, otherwise it'd sputter. I finally made it (without pushing the bike :) ) and after the fill up everything worked great again. Except for the knob that turns the trip meter, which broke while I was attempting a reset.

So now I have a fuel warning light that I can't trust, and no trip meter reset - I have to do math(!) to keep from running out.

Could it be that the switch on the handlebar is wonky? Or is something more sinister at work here:ummm:

I thought you left the fuel switch in the 'ON' position till then fuel 'Light' came on then when the motor starts to starve for fuel you flip the switch to 'RES'. And when the light came on start looking for a fuel station. My fuel light comes on about 3/4 gallon to 1 gallon which is some where near 90 miles depending on how I been riding.

So am I correct to leave the switch in the 'ON' position till the motor starts to sputter or do I have it backwards?

The sender is at the bottom of the tank. If I remember right you can get it in and out without removing the tank, though you will have to drain it first. There's a drain plug right next to it.

The switch could be malfunctioning, that's easy enough to inspect. Remove the two screws from the throttle block, disconnect the throttle cables, and inspect the contacts of the fuel switch. I bet the sender is more likely the culprit though.

It's part #35 on the fuel tank fiche. Probably run you like $60-70

I thought you left the fuel switch in the 'ON' position till then fuel 'Light' came on then when the motor starts to starve for fuel you flip the switch to 'RES'. And when the light came on start looking for a fuel station. My fuel light comes on about 3/4 gallon to 1 gallon which is some where near 90 miles depending on how I been riding.

So am I correct to leave the switch in the 'ON' position till the motor starts to sputter or do I have it backwards?
You are doing it right...

Yea, they use the same nomenclature as for a mechanical fuel cock:

ON = on as in juice comes through

RES = reserve as in use the last bit of juice in tank

OFF - the missing link on a Max because it uses a fuel pump.

I came to the conclusion that I should leave the switch to the left, moving it to the right after the fuel light comes on.

Are you sure you wrote that the right way around? Coz to me, it's backwards.
On my Vmax it's the other way around.
Left = RES
Right = ON

(And no jokes about being Down Under, OK? Veronica is from America anyway. :rofl_200:)

* If you don't have the writing on the switch, just remember you push the switch with your thumb when you need more juice.

Maybe I'm dumb (probably), but I thought it didn't matter if it was on RES or ON, the act of toggling it from one side to the other would get the reserve portion of the tank flowing? It's basically just a signal to turn on the reserve? :ummm:

Nah, in order for the last 3/4gal to be pumped through the switch must be in the RES position. Try it - if you just go RES then back to ON when the fuel light's on, you'll get a carb bowl full' distance, then it'll conk out again..

Originally Posted by bazwell On my Vmax it's the other way around.
Left = RES
Right = ON
On mine also, but your fuel goes into the fuel pump counter clockwise being your down under
Yea, they use the same nomenclature as for a mechanical fuel cock:

ON = on as in juice comes through

RES = reserve as in use the last bit of juice in tank

OFF - the missing link on a Max because it uses a fuel pump.
I thought I read it that way in the a post on here and in the PDF file I down loaded from Mad Max site.
Being I get dyslexic from time to time I wanted to be sure.:ummm:

Are you sure you wrote that the right way around? Coz to me, it's backwards.
On my Vmax it's the other way around.
Left = RES
Right = ON

(And no jokes about being Down Under, OK? Veronica is from America anyway. :rofl_200:)

* If you don't have the writing on the switch, just remember you push the switch with your thumb when you need more juice.
That is right. Left is Res.
Steve

When all else has failed I sometimes find that reading the manual helps.

picture.php

Assuming my grasp of English is correct then the switch is pushed to the right (On) for normal running and to the left (Res) when the fuel light comes on.

well it looks like i have had it backwards i think. which is odd because moving it to 'on' has always re-started the fuel pump for me.

well it looks like i have had it backwards i think. which is odd because moving it to 'on' has always re-started the fuel pump for me.

Maybe I was confused, and the cruising I would do after moving to the "on" was all just fuel in the carbs...

I originally thought that the switch should stay in the 'On" position (right) until the light came on, and then move to the left "Res" position, but after 2 times of cruising to a station on fumes, I read one of the threads here and concluded I had it wrong. I started doing the opposite of what made sense (but knowing that sometimes Japanese labeling doesn't translate well), by keeping it on "Res" and moving it to "On" whenever I saw the fuel light.

Gotta love it the way past experience points one way, but then you get information telling you the opposite. I'll try keeping it on Res and then moving to On, seeing what happens.

From the owner's manual;

During normal operation, this switch should be kept in the "ON" position. If
the fuel warning light comes on while riding, set the switch to "RES", refuel
as soon as possible, and then set the switch back to "ON".

I'll try keeping it on Res and then moving to On said:
If you keep it at RES until it sputters, then move it to ON, you will find yourself walking in a very short time. Keep it ON until the light comes on. You will have about a mile until it sputters. Move it to RES and start looking for a fuel stop.

I started running out today. I went to res. then it started bogging again quickly.I went to run again then Res. again. Somehow I made it the few miles I needed. It's not making sence, but worked? Anybody else have this happen ever?:ummm:
Steve

I started running out today. I went to res. then it started bogging again quickly.I went to run again then Res. again. Somehow I made it the few miles I needed. It's not making sence, but worked? Anybody else have this happen ever?:ummm:
Steve

Mine was screwing up a couple years back. I opened up the housing and sprayed the contacts and all has been well since.

Latest posts

Back