FUEL TANK headache!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmem8

Reaction score
Hi gents,
I am a bit down today because I finnally got my tank all sealed and back in ,I found it to be a prick of a job especially getting the mufflers back on by myself (might be easier with two people). Anyway I got everything bolted up and then I poured in a litre of fuel in(glad it wasn't 10ltr). It all came pouring out around the fuel gage. So now I have to pull it apart again.
Could someone please tell me would it be easier to remove the back wheel and replace the oring on the fuel gage this way? I have never taken off the back wheel before is it a hard job ?
Man I wish I replaced that Oring in the first place DOH!
Cheers fella's :)

:punk: Hey the back tire is easy to take off and only takes a few minutes if you have the stock rear wheel installed. Too bad you have to do it over. Good Luck, Spurs

The steps are very simple.
1. remove the cotter pin on the axle bolt
2. remove the cotter pin and nut/bolt on the brake stay bar
3. loosen the axle nut
4. remove the axle
5. lift the brake clear (careful not to loose the washer/spacer)
6. from the right side of the bike pull the wheel directly to you
7. the wheel will drop free
( you must have the bike high enough off the ground for the wheel to tilt to clear the plate unless you remove the plate mount)

Good luck with it.
Oh and if I missed any steps Im sure someone will correct this.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=13338&highlight=rear+wheel

Check out the how to section. Lots of helpful info.
Also, check out the links tab at the top of the screen. You can download a free manual.

Should be able to remove the gauge sender with the rear wheel in place, I think :ummm:. OEM exhaust might be the PIA to work around. Can't remember. Its been awhile since I had the OEM exhaust on the bike.

Thanks heaps fella's if I take the back wheel off I should be able to get the oring off the guage without pulling it all the way out.
thanks again.:clapping:

Don't lose any spacers! Make sure you know where the hardware goes when you reassemble it. Look at any of the fiche drawings or consult your Service Manual (you do have a VMax Service Manual, don't you?) which you can find online here I believe. As for me, I like a hard copy I can put greasy fingerprints all-over.

Before I disassemble something, I look at the exploded parts diagrams and order from RonAyres.com or one of the forum supporters like Captain Kyle or Sean Morley all the 'consumables' I am going to need to do it 'right' the 1st time. I am not saying I never had to re-do something, but things like gaskets and fuel tank o-rings can prevent some unfortunate accidents.

Do you want a bit of salt to rub into my wound?
Yes you are right I should have replaced the Oring the first time but it looked good so I didn't, I regret it and I won't do it again.
No I don't have a manual. more salt?:biglaugh:

"Good on-ya" for trying to fix things yourself. Knowledge is powerful. Getting access to knowledge is what gives you the power to be able to do things safely and in a timely fashion. We all love saving $, and you are to be commended for working on your ride. Often, in the process of fixing one thing, other maintenance items come to-light. This can prevent a roadside break-down, or prevent an accident if the maintenance issue is of a more-serious nature.

Anyone who wants to own one of these, or any mechanical item, should make a priority of obtaining the service manual or at-least a parts diagram right-away, especially if you intend to do your own work. Of course, the internet makes much of this available, but better to have print-outs or an actual shop manual on your shelf onto which you can place big greasy paw prints while trying to research the proper assembly sequence, or what parts to order.

I just put my salt cellar back into the cupboard, but Lot's wife is standing by my front door, & she ain't movin'!

thumbnail.aspx

"Good on-ya" for trying to fix things yourself. Knowledge is powerful. Getting access to knowledge is what gives you the power to be able to do things safely and in a timely fashion. We all love saving $, and you are to be commended for working on your ride. Often, in the process of fixing one thing, other maintenance items come to-light. This can prevent a roadside break-down, or prevent an accident if the maintenance issue is of a more-serious nature.

Anyone who wants to own one of these, or any mechanical item, should make a priority of obtaining the service manual or at-least a parts diagram right-away, especially if you intend to do your own work. Of course, the internet makes much of this available, but better to have print-outs or an actual shop manual on your shelf onto which you can place big greasy paw prints while trying to research the proper assembly sequence, or what parts to order.

I just put my salt cellar back into the cupboard, but Lot's wife is standing by my front door, & she ain't movin'!

thumbnail.aspx

Good-on ya mate, you are the salt of the earth! I know... I know I got to get a service manual. Thanks for the encouraging words.
Have a nice weekend:punk:

Thinks just got really annoying for me, I got my new Oring only had to drive 2.5 hrs to get it, got home took the back wheel off (trying to do this job without taking out the fuel tank again as I just put it in after re-sealing it) managed to slide out the fuel Gage between exhaust and tank(very tight fit) put on the new Oring then began to tighten the bolts...... one bolt snapped! It just felt like it wasn't tight enough dont know why maybe cause of the awkward position I was in. Now I have to take out the tank and drill out the bolt I might be fortunate enough to get it out with a screw extractor? Hope so.:bang head: stay calm stay calm.

Back