Gear selection switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gofast68

Reaction score
Okay guys, put your thinking caps on. I'm looking for a way on a first gen Max to turn a 12v DC device on only in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. In other words, I need a way to turn something on without pushing a button when the bike is in those gears. I don't want to turn it on in first gear under any circumstances. If the first gen had a real ECU in it, the powercommander can monitor gears, but with our old school bikes, it's not an option.

Anyone have any idea's or places to look for a solution? I found one for a car from Dakota Digital, but the hookup to monitor the gears won't work on a motorcycle since the gear shifter ratchets to the same location every time you shift. Anyone seen anyway to monitor what gear your in on a first gen vmax?

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....category_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd60.htm

Thanks guys!

You could use a venture gear selector segment. It's a bolt on piece and gives a contact for each gear including nuetral. With that you can easily make the gear indicator (we have one on hand that Prezmek make with the venture unit I sent him).

Sean

That's exactly what I need. Are you saying you have a spare you'll sell or can you point me in a direction to find one of these?

Thanks Sean!

-Jeremy

Sean
I am interested in this as well as I am looking at getting a new electronic speedo and this would be nice. You know me I am always willing to spend money on my bike :biglaugh:

Here the pic of indicator of my friend:
shiftf.png

Personaly i dont like the location but that led dispaly is very small and can be located anywhere. I was working with casing for this display but shut the project temporaly.

Most of universal gear indicators will work depending of the rpms and its not very acurate.
Indicator shown above is permanent. It will work even if engine is not running.
Its not using the rpms but current location of transmision shift shaft.

I haven't worked out a price (yet) but can try and get us something. It uses a hard wired feed from each gear pin location and not RPM based as was noted. It requires removing the middle gear cover to access the sensor (which is more of a switch). I have a few of the venture units used on hand and only one of the completed indicators. They are about $75 new. I'd take $25 for just the sender/switch.

Sean

So if I understand this right, when the bike is in the gear that matches up to appropriate pin, it grounds that circuit? That means if I wanted to turn one stage of nitrous on in 2nd gear and in third, turn on a second stage, I would run the ground wires to the appropriate pin.

If that is the case, this is exactly what I needed. Sean saves the day again!

Exactly. You have 6 pins for completing the circuit (1-5+N). Wire up all the 2nd-5th wires into your switch for the activation and you should be good.

Sean

If you have the stock vmax one you will be able to see where the extra contact points go for the venture unit. I haven't taken a pic of it though. It's got small screw locations for the extra wiring to do the gear indicator.

Sean

Below are three pictures of the gear position indicator that comes on the Venture Royales.

Not every Venture has these, some only have the neutral pin version. Only the ones that have the CMOS panel between the tach and speedo as shown in last picture have them. Gear position indicator is #2 in photo.

Standard models do not 4 push buttons at bottom, clock is above warning indicators.

Gary

Attachments

• shift sw back.JPG
    shift sw back.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 59
  • shift sw front.jpg
    shift sw front.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 60
  • shift sw pos.JPG
    shift sw pos.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 66
  • MKI royale cluster.jpg
    MKI royale cluster.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 60
They either use that sending unit for another model or they built it with the intention of making it into a six speed (which would have been super cool).

Sean

They either use that sending unit for another model or they built it with the intention of making it into a six speed (which would have been super cool).

Sean

One can only wonder why Yamaha didn't take Honda's lead using a 6spd overdrive like all the Magna's got....took me like 2 years to stop trying for 6th after riding my V30....also liked how it had an "OD" light that came on when it went into 6th so you knew you were out of gears.

I suspect they tried it in development but were killing the transmissions with the power output. The original design is just an adpatation of the Venture which first came out in 1983. So, you figure they started that design somewhere in the later 70's or early 80's. Had the power stayed where your V30 was then the six speed would have worked.

The Vmax power pretty much ruled out being able to keep the narrower gears required to fit in the case. The alternative would have been to make the engine even wider then it currently is.

I suspect a 6 speed conversion could maybe be done with some custom shafts and adapters to the engine block (and machine work to the block). Of course you would still need a custom shift drum and fork. So, you are talking so much money it really just flat isn't practical.

Now, one of our overdrive fifth gear transmissions would help you know when you are in high gear!

I suspect they tried it in development but were killing the transmissions with the power output. The original design is just an adpatation of the Venture which first came out in 1983. So, you figure they started that design somewhere in the later 70's or early 80's. Had the power stayed where your V30 was then the six speed would have worked.

The Vmax power pretty much ruled out being able to keep the narrower gears required to fit in the case. The alternative would have been to make the engine even wider then it currently is.

I suspect a 6 speed conversion could maybe be done with some custom shafts and adapters to the engine block (and machine work to the block). Of course you would still need a custom shift drum and fork. So, you are talking so much money it really just flat isn't practical.

Now, one of our overdrive fifth gear transmissions would help you know when you are in high gear![/QUOTE]
+1, I used to try to upshift all the time, but rarely do I ever do it now.
In fact I'm absolutely proof-positive-sure I haven't tried to upshift to "sixth" for over 5 months now!
:biglaugh:

Now, one of our overdrive fifth gear transmissions would help you know when you are in high gear!
Actually I have quite advanced project "on paper"but I may never finish that :confused2:

Its most defo doable, even with poor funds.

Exactly. You have 6 pins for completing the circuit (1-5+N). Wire up all the 2nd-5th wires into your switch for the activation and you should be good.

Sean

Depending on exactly how this switch works, if your using it to control nitrous you may find it turning the nitrous off and back on every gear change. if the switch doesn't have electrical overlap between turning one gear indicator light on and the other one off this could happen, something to check on anyway????? I don't know how the contact development is on these switches so I could be completely wrong about this but I'd make sure first.

Might be better to use the nuetral and 1st gear switch to keep it off? Even then if the above situation exists you might be getting a blast of nitrous as you sweep from 1st, across nuetral and into 2nd. If you do this I'd test it thouroughly without the nitrous on.

Last edited:
Back