Gears

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any V maxes with a six speed tranny?.Mine soundes like it could use one more gear.

No, even the 2nd Gens are 5 speeds. You can change to a Venture rear end but then you lose power down low.

I'd love to lose some gear on my 89. It already does great rolling second gear burns. I could go for some of that in third....
Wouldn't that be scary, smoking the rear tire starting at 50 ish MPH....:rofl_200:That'd be a blast. Tried it on a wet road a while
back, not so much fun... But still controllable....

The 94, like COPRUNNER said, 2 more gears for the highway... As is, it likes to cruise at 90...

Most bike engines spin a lot faster than cars. My old Honda 500 would spin 6000RPM@ 75mph, and that had a six-speed also. Didn't redline until 11,500. 600 class sportbikes can spin to 16-18,000 RPM.

Automotive engines are too heavy internally to spin those kind of speeds. Forces on crank journals, con rods, ect, increase with the cube of engine speed, so big V8 pistons and conrods and crank weights reach the limits of their materials much more quickly, say 5 or 6000RPM. Less weight allows the engines to spin faster with the same strength materials and give the potential for more HP.

As such, bikes are just geared for faster spinning motors, like diesel cars are geared for a slower spinning engine. Some hardlys and big twins will only spin 2000-2500 at highway speeds, but also nothing happens if you roll on them at that speed. Cruising only.

The Vmax has a very low gearing in the pumpkin, to give it that brutal acceleration. Yamaha didn't design this bike as a highway tourer.

I switched to a Venture's final drive. That cuts RPM across the board by about 10%. 75mph in fifth is around 4400RPM for me, it's close to 5000 with the stock gears.

It'll still do rolling burnouts in second with ease, and pick the front end up a few inches if it's got a nice warm tire.

" Some hardlys and big twins will only spin 2000-2500 at highway speeds, but also nothing happens if you roll on them at that speed. "

I wouldn't say NOTHING happens, they do get a lot louder. Jus' sayn" . . .

I had Sean install a Royal Star 5th gear in mine and it works well for the hwy. I find that I run 4th gear more around town b/c below 50 the rpms drop below 3k, which feels like it lugging the engine to me. I run 4k rpms at 70 mph, 45k = 80ish. It really feels great when it hits vboost in 5th as it feels like a big hand is giving you a big push, more noticeable than when hitting vboost in 4th gear. I have only gotten it up to 7k rpms in 5th good for ~150 indicated (speedo needle is jumping 2-3 mph below and above actual indicated, I didn't spend much time studying it. lol) Actual speed is probably in the 142-145mph range.
All speed testing performed on my secret closed course track of course!:punk:

I'm feeling for another gear sometimes myself, but I wouldn't wasnt to loose rpms in the lower gears with a Venture pumpkin and stock engine. A Morley 5th seems to be the way to go if cruising a lot. Which I do.
Brian, I hear you Bro. Up in the tripple digits my focus is on the road ahead of me...lol
6th gear? You never know. I never thought they'd get 5th gear in a Sportster and it's happened.
Sean, is it possible and doable in a Max, Gen 1? I'm sure you've been asked many times.
Steve-o
Steve-o

To get an extra gear you'd have to reduce the sizes of each gear enough to squeeze it in there. Yes it can be done (with enough money) but the gears won't last long.

Latest posts

Back