Gen 1 Stock front tire choices?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ALWAYS run the size tire made for the size wheel. I'm funny about that. I have two tires under me. I'm NOT taking ANY chances.

Chris

mold release wear off those tires yet?:rofl_200:

I Figure , THAT THE BIGGER REAR TIRE , I WILL LOVE THE LOOK & THAT WILL MAKE THE STOCK SIZE FRONT TIRE LOOK SMALLER & I REALLY CANT AFFORD TO GO ANY LOWER , IF I'M NOT CAREFUL NOW MY BELLY-PAN RUBS IN & OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY & PULLING IN & OUT OF SOME GAS STATIONS ! ! ! .. :confused2:

I Was JUST THINKING . :damn angry: . ALSO , 3/8 OF AN INCH LOWER COULD BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JUST SCRAPING THE BELLY-PAN , OR BENDING THE BELLY-PAN MOUNTING BRACKETS ! .. :confused2:

New Update:
Went with the Pirelli Route 66...not only because of the price ($161 to the door, fer the pair) but because I already run the Diablos on my FZ1.
A couple of you guys were right.....the front was much thinner and shorter than the OEM than I expected, but looked good.
The back for a 170 was kind of small......with the Shinko I had to wiggle, move, adjust and wiggle again to get the rear wheel on....with the Pirelli it slipped right in just as easy as the 150.
But when side by side with another Max with the Shinko, almost looked the same...just a bit taller & narower, but left a little larger footprint:confused2:.

Riding impressions:
Put 13o miles on it, 80 today......VERY quick steering, both slow and fast speeds....falls into the turns and changing lanes at any speed, even faster than my FZ. A little bumpy/rough/firm ride...running the pressure a little high until I get the feel of the tires.
The high was 78 degrees today with NW winds of 15 to 25 mph.
I hit 135mph pretty quick and tires felt fine...a couple times at 145, was a little hairy.....front end felt a little too light and I could almost feel every pebble on the road, and the start of the dreaded weave was eminent.
The wacky weather (fast crosswinds) could be the possible causes, have to try again under better conditions. Can't let my buddy's '03 Max run away from me at 145mph....he was having a good day.
Just have to remember these aren't V Rated:bang head:
Thanks for all the imput,
Chris

Thanks fellas. I just bought front and back Metzler 880's shipped to my door for $252.88.

New Update:
Went with the Pirelli Route 66...not only because of the price ($161 to the door, fer the pair) but because I already run the Diablos on my FZ1.
A couple of you guys were right.....the front was much thinner and shorter than the OEM than I expected, but looked good.
The back for a 170 was kind of small......with the Shinko I had to wiggle, move, adjust and wiggle again to get the rear wheel on....with the Pirelli it slipped right in just as easy as the 150.
But when side by side with another Max with the Shinko, almost looked the same...just a bit taller & narower, but left a little larger footprint:confused2:.

Riding impressions:
Put 13o miles on it, 80 today......VERY quick steering, both slow and fast speeds....falls into the turns and changing lanes at any speed, even faster than my FZ. A little bumpy/rough/firm ride...running the pressure a little high until I get the feel of the tires.
The high was 78 degrees today with NW winds of 15 to 25 mph.
I hit 135mph pretty quick and tires felt fine...a couple times at 145, was a little hairy.....front end felt a little too light and I could almost feel every pebble on the road, and the start of the dreaded weave was eminent.
The wacky weather (fast crosswinds) could be the possible causes, have to try again under better conditions. Can't let my buddy's '03 Max run away from me at 145mph....he was having a good day.
Just have to remember these aren't V Rated:bang head:
Thanks for all the imput,
Chris

Running those speeds , you need to be on Radials .

Running those speeds , you need to be on Radials .

I expected "you should'nt be running those speeds...period".
Radials would be nice, but until they make 'em for the rear, ain't happening.
I tell ya though....the OEM Dunlop Qualifiers are my fav, were rock steady at high speeds, not bad at the track (after a burnout), and could cut some corners and I loved the white lettering...just crappy millage, took too long to warm up, and too high a price, and hard to find.....I've also pegged the Max'es speedo with them.

FYI also...we're not hooligans down south, but in south florida, the only curves we got are on/off ramps....our only thrill is a burst of speed every now and then.
When we do our sunday runs, we're at 85/95 for an hour or more.

Will probably try the metz or Pirelli dragon next tire.

I Just ORDERED MY DYNA BEADS ALSO , JUST CLICK ONTO " TIRE CHART " , THEN SCROLL DOWN TO " MOTORCYCLES " & FIGURE OUT HOW MANY ONCES YOU NEED FRONT & BACK FROM YOU TIRE SIZES , AND THEN CLICK ONTO " PRODUCTS & PRICING " & SCROLL DOWN TO MOTORCYCLES AGAIN , CLICK ONTO THE COMBINATION THAT YOU NEED & CLICK ONTO " ADD TO CART " AND THEN CHECK-OUT ! http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm

I'd be really interested in how ya like the dyna beads C.P.
Steve-o

Back