Gen 2 Engine Build

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the picture of the bike shortly before we unloaded it back in 2009. The bike is number 825 as well. I show this was taken 06/15-2009 (can't remember when the first ones hit the show room). He had purchased the bike while we were fixing his gen 1 (which he still has).

Attachments

• 2009 in Van.jpg
    2009 in Van.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 58
A lot of modern cars have an oil pressure protection circuit, that is if you lose oil pressure the engine will shut down immediately.
I wonder if the function might find it's way to bikes then shit like this is less likely to happen.
It probably wouldn't be hard to make our own.

In this case the oil loss protection circuit would not have prevented this complete engine failure. Most of those systems are designed to let the engine continue to run so as not to cause a complete loss of steering and braking power. They do however prevent engine restart on the next time you try and start the car. Most modern cars do have this in place. Not sure if the motorcycle industry has tried to incorporate this into them yet.

A lot of modern cars have an oil pressure protection circuit, that is if you lose oil pressure the engine will shut down immediately.
I wonder if the function might find it's way to bikes then shit like this is less likely to happen.
It probably wouldn't be hard to make our own.

I thought about doing this. Still may. Was going to send a pressure signal to my WideBand Brain and key it to RPM with an output to kill ignition.

Would need to key it to RPM since idle pressure is so freaking low.

I thought about doing this. Still may. Was going to send a pressure signal to my WideBand Brain and key it to RPM with an output to kill ignition.

Would need to key it to RPM since idle pressure is so freaking low.

Even with Seans HD oiling kit I only see around 8-9 PSI at hot idle.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

1st time I've seen one of the Gen 2 motors apart- Can someone exlain the split/2pc gear that they used on the exhaust cam? It may just be the pic, but one side(the narrower one) of that gear looks slightly smaller in diameter, as well? :ummm:

The intake cam has dual gears. One is for the chain to the crank, the other is to mesh with the rear cam. The gen 1 uses one longer chain to run across both cams. The advantage on the gen 1 would be easier to do custom cams and slot the gears to get cam timing back to ideal. The intake on the gen 2 can be done this way but not the exhaust since that gear is pressed on and not as easily modified to make it adjustable.

bottom line is. if you pay 17k for a new bike.....it shouldn't have any issues JMO

You pay 3 times more then that for many new cars and get the same recall problems too. Shit happens sometimes. Overall the bike is well put together and I see no real issues with this setup (other then I would have liked to see better rods used).

1st time I've seen one of the Gen 2 motors apart- Can someone exlain the split/2pc gear that they used on the exhaust cam? It may just be the pic, but one side(the narrower one) of that gear looks slightly smaller in diameter, as well? :ummm:

My understanding is they used chain and gears to reduce the overall size of the head. That and changing the cylinder angle actually made the engine slightly shorter than a Gen 1.

Based on those pics is that engine ever going to be anything more than a "what's it look like inside there" experience ? (Which is worth something I would say) to learn what mods can be done to make it even more bad ass.

Pretty catastrophic failure!

Also;

What the hell happened to the oil pressure driven variable valve timing gears they were going to give it?

Wonder if it was just to complicated or they never got it sorted to well enough to work in a small enough package?

EDIT -
The internals of this engine are far similar to the gen 1 but on a much more robust scale (except the rods which I just don't fully understand). I do like what I see in general and congrats to the engineers. But, the power is only proportional to the engine cc's so they really didn't gain a lot over the last 25-30 years with the technology improvements which I am still disapointed in (though I still like their power and potential when doing upgrades).

The old 1200cc made 110-115rwhp which is .092 hp per cc.
The new 1700 makes in the 165-170rwhp which is .097 per cc.
Compare this to the 2009 R1 which bone stock makes about 145rwhp in 1000cc's.
This is the equivalent to .145 hp per cc.

If the R1 had the same cc's as the gen 2 it would make 246 rwhp! This is what I would have expected with all the new technology that the gen 2 was supposed to have.

Wasn't what Yamaha was going for.....they were not trying to maximize HP in this engine. They've said as much many times.......even wrote it before the bike was released. They were going for a feel, and they nailed it.....power at any rpm. Unless you ride one all the time it's hard to appreciate.

You pay 3 times more then that for many new cars and get the same recall problems too. Shit happens sometimes. Overall the bike is well put together and I see no real issues with this setup (other then I would have liked to see better rods used).

Wow this good info, Will there be warranty to cover the guy's motor.

Everything was dropped off to my local dealer to handle the warranty/recall claim. Now it's up to the customer to see what they can/will do. This engine might be able to be salvaged though it's going to really have to be looked over good. If we decide not to salvage it then this may be a good candidate for the chain drive work.

IF, it goes that far then I will work with Jedi to make it happen.

The other engine that wasn't as bad is currently being bored out (+3 mm). Looking at larger intake cams with adjustable timing gear as well as possibly larger valves. A little more compression and then see what it can do!

Looky what showed up!

Attachments

• IMG_20131219_182548_162.jpg
    IMG_20131219_182548_162.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20131219_105459_733.jpg
    IMG_20131219_105459_733.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20131219_105423_666.jpg
    IMG_20131219_105423_666.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 58
Looky what showed up!

Nice! That's a $9,000+ part number....@ dealer cost!

If that's for the trashed engine due to the oil pump failure, good for him! Not everyone has been so lucky as to get their damaged engines replaced.

Yea, its for the warranty engine. They are saying 3.5 hours for the r&r labor which is complete bs so we're going to complain about that. Everything else about the transaction is going well though.

Back