Gen 2 "X-Pipe" Photo for Danny

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's Darren Crays pipe...I think it's gone through a design change since that photo.

It is DLCrays' pipe. I believe the only design changes it has undergone since this photo would be to the internals - where the pipes meet up, and not the basic outer design. He may have gone to the next larger diameter tubing. I'm not sure.

It can be powder coated in black as well as the ceramic shown, if a person wanted it to disappear under the bike rather than shown off with the shiny.

PM him for details &/or pricing info.

I've heard this pipe with various cans installed, and all I can say is: It's too loud for my tastes......but I likes OEM sound and am one to seldom, if ever, modify a bike. (My Gen II was bought used, and already modified, except for the paint color scheme and Nash Flash.)

Well, I hauled off and bought the Mark's pipe....figure that and a flash over the winter will set me up pretty good for spring.

Gonna leave the stock mufflers, I watched Olivers comparison of OEM vs X-pipe (both with stock mufflers) and like the extra little burble with the modded pipe, and that leaves me open for some Hindle Evolution C/F mufflers down the road.

I tell ya, modding these Gen II's is a peice of cake....all you need is money....lots of money!! :rofl_200:

Well, I hauled off and bought the Mark's pipe....figure that and a flash over the winter will set me up pretty good for spring.

Gonna leave the stock mufflers, I watched Olivers comparison of OEM vs X-pipe (both with stock mufflers) and like the extra little burble with the modded pipe, and that leaves me open for some Hindle Evolution C/F mufflers down the road.

I tell ya, modding these Gen II's is a peice of cake....all you need is money....lots of money!! :rofl_200:

:thumbs up:

Danny,

I reccomend you purchase these 2 items for your pipe install if you don't already have something similar.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-38-metric-long-ball-head-hex-socket-set-67888.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-14-in-38-in-12-in-drive-wobble-socket-extensions-67971.html

They will make the job a lot easier and cut down dramatically on the amount of cursing while doing it. The rear header bolts in particular are a PITA to get to.

Also, here is a set of mid-pipe installation instructions for you to look over while you wait for your pipe.

EPSON003.jpg

-Mark-

Danny,

I reccomend you purchase these 2 items for your pipe install if you don't already have something similar.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-38-metric-long-ball-head-hex-socket-set-67888.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-14-in-38-in-12-in-drive-wobble-socket-extensions-67971.html

They will make the job a lot easier and cut down dramatically on the amount of cursing while doing it. The rear header bolts in particular are a PITA to get to.

Also, here is a set of mid-pipe installation instructions for you to look over while you wait for your pipe.

View attachment 39701

-Mark-

Thanks Mark! I have the socket allens but not the wobble extensions. Mark said it would be a couple weeks before he gets it made and shipped...so plenty of time to look the install over and order the extensions. I love Harbor Freight!! :punk:

I'm hoping to get the pipe installed in time to still check it out on the road but we're on borrowed time already, might get lucky tho.

Good choice.... you'll be very happy with the Mark's pipe (best price compared to anything else out there that I'm aware of, too).

I also have the Mark's mid-pipe/collector on my '09 with the stock cans and I think it sounds great. Jeff (Kosrider) suggested that pipe and even helped me install it (thank's again, Jeff... still owe you lunch/drinks for that). If you need any install tips, contact Jeff - with his help we did the install in about three hours or so. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to turning wrenches and his help was invaluable.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I'll definitely keep that in mind. The installation instructions SEEM pretty clear, but you never know. Mark posted them in a previous post....I went to print them off for some nightly reading, and the printer pooped the sleeping compartment....:bang head::bang head::bang head:

So, now I gotta deal with a dead printer! :blink000:

Ha, just couldn't leave it stock, could you?
good choice with the marks pipe. jeffs sounds really good, you will be pleased

Ha, just couldn't leave it stock, could you?
good choice with the marks pipe. jeffs sounds really good, you will be pleased

Just not in my dna Bill, I KNOW you understand!:rofl_200:

Having crossed the first mod hurdle...they say that's the hardest one...I've decided to do the airbox mod and a ECU flash also. If there's power to be had, might's well go git it, ey? :punk:

Thanks Scott, I'll definitely keep that in mind. The installation instructions SEEM pretty clear, but you never know. Mark posted them in a previous post....I went to print them off for some nightly reading, and the printer pooped the sleeping compartment....:bang head::bang head::bang head:

So, now I gotta deal with a dead printer! :blink000:

Your right......just need money to solve the gen 2 itch
Lol:rofl_200:

I just recorded a video with my POS camera per the request of some guys on the StarVmax site, thought I would post it here too. The camera doesn't capture the true exhaust note worth a damn like it would if you were standing there in person, but here it is anyway. Mark's mid-pipe/collector, stock cans with Python exhaust tips, Nash flash, modified air box with K&N filter.

Scott

I just recorded a video with my POS camera per the request of some guys on the StarVmax site, thought I would post it here too. The camera doesn't capture the true exhaust note worth a damn like it would if you were standing there in person, but here it is anyway. Mark's mid-pipe/collector, stock cans with Python exhaust tips, Nash flash, modified air box with K&N filter.

Scott

What do you think that set-up is putting down for power/torque?

The video works for me over here Scott, and sounds just like mine....nice rap at idle, I like it!

Don't know what the HP at the wheel would be but wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 20 HP+ gain....maybe a bit more with the 20 or so lbs. of weight removed. It's certainly noticeable...that's for sure. :punk:

What do you think that set-up is putting down for power/torque?

Around 185 HP and 120 lbs TQ (give or take)

There is a big bump in TQ below 4000 rpm as well. That combined with the weight loss (cat weighs around 20 lbs) makes a difference you can really feel.

Around 185 HP and 120 lbs TQ (give or take)

There is a big bump in TQ below 4000 rpm as well. That combined with the weight loss (cat weighs around 20 lbs) makes a difference you can really feel.

Tim did a nice job of beefing up the low end TQ, my 1260 felt quicker than the Gen II under 4K....not no more tho!

Probly gonna have to set up a direct buy brokerage account with the Battleax folks....I don't see these rear tires lasting very long. :hihi:

Tim did a nice job of beefing up the low end TQ, my 1260 felt quicker than the Gen II under 4K....not no more tho!

Probly gonna have to set up a direct buy brokerage account with the Battleax folks....I don't see these rear tires lasting very long. :hihi:

You're feeling 2 big improvements there Danny. The pipe takes a dip out of the TQ curve between 3k and 5k rpm (and adds a bunch more everywhere else) If you look at the graph I circled that area. At one point there is almost a 20 lb improvement.

What doesn't show up in the graph is some of Tims work to get rid of the bog that happens right off idle. From the factory the throttle openings are restricted. He allows the throttle to open wider and faster, greatly reducing the bog. Makes a huge difference at the track by improving 60 foot times. And makes for more fun on the street when leaving stop lights. :biglaugh:

09_vmax_stage1.jpg

Thanks Mark, this is the way I was expecting it to feel and was a little surprised at the 'doggie-ness' off idle. I'm not a drag racer but it must be a huge improvement at the track.

i have the akro pipe on my '10 it sounds badass its not to loud yet not to quiet it makes it a sleeper and i took it off this past summer because the bike DOES need a re flash the bike around town and the track is a slight delay with mixture is annoying with the FI and on the highway is fine but i took it off for now till i find a solution of a reflash ive heard its around 700+ for the flash i havent really looked into it.

Back