Good Deal?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a 535 Virago. It has 16000 on the odometer. Bike is in great shape it was always in the garage. It comes with saddle bags and a cover. I do not know to much about this bike or how reliable they are. I can pick it up for 1000. Any input you guys you can give me would be greatly appreciated. :confused2: Thanks in advance.

It's a turd but reliable enough. A smaller person/lady might like it.

Sean

I was thinking about buying it and possibly selling it for a slight profit or for the woman. Blue book says it's worth about 1800 in its present condition.

Disconnect the leads to the right side plugs on your Vmax and go for a spin, that will give you a rough estimate on what to expect.

It's a great learner bike (comes just under the power restrictions required here) and has a nice low seat for those with shorter legs...
I've always wondered if the two carbs were stolen off a VMax :ummm:

I highly doubt you'd get $1800 for it. Book values are very optimistic in this economy, stuff rarely sells for anything near it's listed value.

If you can get it for a grand, there might be a couple hundred to be made, assuming problems (tires, battery, carbs) don't eat up the small profit margin.

They're around 25hp, and around 20% of that is eaten up by the shaft, so it might spin a dyno up to around 20rwhp. I'd guess they max out around 80 or so, given plenty of room.

It wont be FAST but I would buy it...I like little buzz around bikes for running to pay bills,get beer,or a backpack full of groceries or to just buzz over to a buddies. But I tend to go a little more "aftermarket" with mine.

Like this 85 Nighthawk 450 I built. 45 miles to the gallon surface streets,and it ran me at 6'2 230lb upt o 75 mile an hour no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 22
TURD....unless mint and you REALLY want it.... not worth the grand.
Do you think you can resell it for what you will pay for it?

Stay away from that V-twin.

I would doubt that you will make money on this bike. If you are just looking for a toy that is one thing. But, if you are going to buy it to make money I would pass.

Don't underestimate the resale value of these bikes. Many people starting to ride love them. Insurance is cheap (under the 600cc size) and the bike is cheap enough that new riders buy them before they even know if they want to ride.

Most have very low miles because it is a beginner bike and just not fun to ride for any extended miles.

Check your area but I bet there is some to be made but I would not expect $1800.

Sean

Here is a picture of the bike. I noticed the pipe turning blue otherwise it looks pretty clean. If any one can spot anything else let me know. And what do think I may be able to get for this bike. Wondering if it iss worth it. :confused2: Cant get pic to attach will try later:bang head:

Remember that cash is king. If it looks good and you don't have to spend $500+ in tires, battery, cables, brakes, carb cleaning, bulbs, switches, etc., then you just make a lowball offer and leave your phone #, after no-one paying what he wants, he calls back to accept your offer, or you call him back in a week to ask if he wants to sell it now. You aren't really missing-out on anything.

I once owned a KZ550 Kawi ( also KZ750 & 3 KZ1000's) and had a lot of fun on that bike. The frame was a bit small for best comfort, but the smaller bikes are much more 'user-friendly' to learn to ride on. Four cyl bikes are much faster than twins, most of the time (hey we ain't talkin' Ducatis here!) and might sustain someone's interest and needs for a longer period of time. The XV535 is a good bike to learn on.

Back