GPS's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for sure ive always had good luck and no issues with garmins, great data basis, easy to use and get updates. never hurts to peek at a map on the super long runs to give you a idea of where your going. gps is only as smart as the operator is.

I can't speak for other locales......

But I know personally of incidents where a GPS unit has sent folks out into farmers' fields, onto sunken roads(that haven't been above water since the 1950's).....down Jeep trails and power line maintenance roads......... .and have just flat out lost themselves around here.....

The look on the face of that poor truck driver who walked into our office wondering if he had just driven off the face of the earth, GPS in hand, was priceless.......

Welcome to Northern New York!!!!!!!!

your right kyle. even putting in my address is about 1 mile off, thats why i say its only as smart as the operator. you still have to know what and where its taking you, if your following it dumb def and blind well you might just end up under the drink. if you are totally new to a area then guess your at the mercy of the data base. oh well what could possibly go wrong ey? lol

your right kyle. even putting in my address is about 1 mile off, thats why i say its only as smart as the operator. you still have to know what and where its taking you, if your following it dumb def and blind well you might just end up under the drink. if you are totally new to a area then guess your at the mercy of the data base. oh well what could possibly go wrong ey? lol

I borrowed one for a trip to the State Trooper Academy in Albany for training.......Damn thing was telling me to turn right......I was on an OVERPASS:damn angry:

just gotta drive faster to get off the bridge to where it wants you to turn hahahaha. you know that dam sat is moving around 18000mph, hard for it to deal with you at 60mph :rofl_200:

just gotta drive faster to get off the bridge to where it wants you to turn hahahaha. you know that dam sat is moving around 18000mph, hard for it to deal with you at 60mph :rofl_200:

Yeah RIGHT:rofl_200:

Geez! You guys make me feel so behind the times. I pick a direction and go 9 times outta 10. If I am going somewhere with a destiniation in mind and I've never been I typically print a map off my computer an put it in my pocket. I thought having a map in your pocket was high tech.:rofl_200:

I know what you guys are saying...for the "usual" rides a paper map gets it done still. But I know i'm riding past some great secondary roads that I don't know where/if they come out in advance. Or now a days I find myself setting up a ride for 5-15 bikes to a destination and want to plan it out in advance to hit the best roads and sit back and turn correctly well before the turn comes up and not sit there looking left-right-left at a turn with all these bikes behind me.........or worse...trying to look down at the map and back up without hitting anything....that's a couple of reasons i'm looking to get into them......plus bluetooth my phone & tunes in!!!! SWWEEEEETTT

I know what you guys are saying...for the "usual" rides a paper map gets it done still. But I know i'm riding past some great secondary roads that I don't know where/if they come out in advance. Or now a days I find myself setting up a ride for 5-15 bikes to a destination and want to plan it out in advance to hit the best roads and sit back and turn correctly well before the turn comes up and not sit there looking left-right-left at a turn with all these bikes behind me.........or worse...trying to look down at the map and back up without hitting anything....that's a couple of reasons i'm looking to get into them......plus bluetooth my phone & tunes in!!!! SWWEEEEETTT

Understood, and I agree. I just haven't embraced all of this technology yet. I have no problems following the guy with the GPS. I just don't want to be the guy that owns and operates the GPS. Hell, I don't have have a phone line at my house, or cable (I did recently get a few channels for free when i reprogrammed my tv, not sure how that happened??), and I don't own a mp3 or ipod. As I said, you guys make me feel like I am living in the dinosaur days!

Understood, and I agree. I just haven't embraced all of this technology yet. I have no problems following the guy with the GPS. I just don't want to be the guy that owns and operates the GPS. Hell, I don't have have a phone line at my house, or cable (I did recently get a few channels for free when i reprogrammed my tv, not sure how that happened??), and I don't own a mp3 or ipod. As I said, you guys make me feel like I am living in the dinosaur days!

Mike, you're not Amish are you?:worthy:

Amish with a V Max?

Jebediah, me thinks that the demons unleashed above 6K RPMs hath surely been the work of the Devil.

If you get a GPS make sure it's WAAS enabled. It's MUCH more accurate. The only issues I've had is when roads have been added/subtracted or moved.

Chris

Great advice Chris. I do like the Zumo. It is expensive, but it looks nice.
I am wondering if I tell it to bring me to the "Brownie Run" how it would do?

Great advice Chris. I do like the Zumo. It is expensive, but it looks nice.
I am wondering if I tell it to bring me to the "Brownie Run" how it would do?

Save it ahead of time as a fav and it will do it. It doesn't have voice recognition though... Unless the new ones do. :confused2:

I have a ton of fav's saved and all I have to do is hit GO! You can also set it to remind you at a certain mileage that you need gas. On the Vmax 100miles would be average and then when it informs you it puts a gas pump on the screen. If you hit it it will tell you where several of the nearest pumps are.

It's really a VERY nice device.

Chris

I have been in the market for a GPS too. But last week a friend asked me to drive a moving truck to Nebraska from PA. She said I could take my bike and ride back. Mix buisness with pleasure. I could not agree fast enough. I needed a GPS right then and now. But cash is a bit short. I already have my iphone. So I turned on the GPS software Att charges $10 per month for. The softeware is free, but the service costs. I know it sounds like a lot. But its always current, and you never have to pay for updates. And you can turn it off. So I leave it turned on for the summer months while I travel 5 days a week. And turn it off in the off season. Works out to be $60 a year and its always up to date.
On this trip from Nebrask to PA it worked perfectly. In my helmet I run a Scala Communicator. SO the iphone BlueTooths music and the phone to it. So the turn commands came right into the helmet. It worked perfectly. I doubt I will buy anything now except a good motorcycle mount for the iphone.
Ram makes a nice one. But I saw another with encloses the phone completely in a water proof case. but the gel face still allows you to work the controls. Its next on my shopping list.

The link below is the case I am thinking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-WEATHERPROOF-Handlebar-iPhone-Players/dp/B001IB3ODA

i have the same set up as dennism i already have the ram mount and the scala fm communicator but my phone is a gz one which is water proof it works really well and like you said its allways up to date mine is under verizon which is the same price.

Back