Hard cold start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke86max

Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys changed the gap on your spark plugs when installing COP's? Reason I ask is cause I am having a really hard time getting my bike to start when it's cold.

Went out this morning (low 40's) and went to start it and it really tried to start but just wouldn't catch. I went away for about 2 hours and came back (now 55 degrees) hit the button and it fired right up. The battery is brand new just put it on over the weekend.

Any thoughts
Duke

I didn't, but I did put in new stock NGK's when I did. Honestly I didn't even gap them, took them out of the box and into the motor. I'm running Mitsu COPs....they came off a 2007 R6.

Usually my problem when it's cold is the starter clutch won't grab. No...it's not loose. I've had it apart twice...once to initially find it loose and fix it, the second time when it would still sometimes "miss" in cold weather, only to find it totally tight and secure as I left it. I can only assume it's a flaw in the design, or maybe the oil I'm using (mobil 1 4T), I don't know. Once it catches and managed to kick the engine over a few times it fires right up.

I've got the Denso COP's off of a GSXR 1000.
The only reason I bring this up is because it is the only thing I changed. Before the COP swap I just mashed the choke and hit the button now it seems that mashing the choke is too much.
Duke

I didn't, but I did put in new stock NGK's when I did. Honestly I didn't even gap them, took them out of the box and into the motor. I'm running Mitsu COPs....they came off a 2007 R6.

Usually my problem when it's cold is the starter clutch won't grab. No...it's not loose. I've had it apart twice...once to initially find it loose and fix it, the second time when it would still sometimes "miss" in cold weather, only to find it totally tight and secure as I left it. I can only assume it's a flaw in the design, or maybe the oil I'm using (mobil 1 4T), I don't know. Once it catches and managed to kick the engine over a few times it fires right up.

mines doing that too now. so that fix didn't cure your problem in cold weather?

Not entirely. When it was loose, it would often miss several times on the first start of the day, even in warm weather. Anything below about 60, forget it, you'd have to bump start it. Once the motor was warm it was usually fine.

After I fixed it, it is much better. With a cold motor in cold weather, it may still miss every so often but after a try or two it'll start.

What I did find was holding the throttle just a tiny bit off idle when cranking would often make it miss less though.

Not entirely. When it was loose, it would often miss several times on the first start of the day, even in warm weather. Anything below about 60, forget it, you'd have to bump start it. Once the motor was warm it was usually fine.

After I fixed it, it is much better. With a cold motor in cold weather, it may still miss every so often but after a try or two it'll start.

What I did find was holding the throttle just a tiny bit off idle when cranking would often make it miss less though.

weird. i would say mine is much more at this point like your 'after'.

i coudl always pull the cover and just see if those bolts are loose tho. i guess after that not much else to do huh?

could the rollers or springs go bad maybe?

I went out yesterday and pulled the plugs all were fouled (gas) so I cleaned them. They were gapped at .31 I regapped to .34. I went out this morning (38 degrees) and it hit right away then shut off. I played with the choke a little and it fired up again I let it sit and warm up for a few minutes, 2-3, and it was running nice then all of the sudden it acted like it was running out of gas and quit went to refire and all it would do is spin wouldn't start or even try to start. I had the switch on res. and know there is plenty of gas so what the hell?
Duke

I went out yesterday and pulled the plugs all were fouled (gas) so I cleaned them. They were gapped at .31 I regapped to .34. I went out this morning (38 degrees) and it hit right away then shut off. I played with the choke a little and it fired up again I let it sit and warm up for a few minutes, 2-3, and it was running nice then all of the sudden it acted like it was running out of gas and quit went to refire and all it would do is spin wouldn't start or even try to start. I had the switch on res. and know there is plenty of gas so what the hell?
Duke

i recently had the same thing after putting on COP's. it died and went to start it and all it did was crank and crank. there was lots of fuel, the pump wasnt priming cause carbs were full, pulled a plug looked perfect i thought it was flooded from trying soo much. well after a bit of scratching it slowly started to fire while cranking and then with a hole hand of throttle came to life. i kept the choke on lots to keep rpm up and got it home....... only drove it once or twice after that and it didnt happen again. so not sure what the deuce is going on either

edit: it was just at or slightly above freezing and did notice idle before this happened was lower slightly. Also chg over to COP's has netted a slight increase in water temp on the gauge. wonder why? shouldnt run leaner, maybe more efficient but cant be by that much as fuel mileage about the same

Last edited:
I don't think it is a spark or fuel problem it has to be in the starting gear or whatever. I went out today, temp. about 45 degrees, went to start it and it cranked and cranked but wouldn't start finally after some messin with it it fired up. I rode it about 7 miles to the gas station and filled up went to start it and it wouldn't fire just cranked as soon as I twisted the throttle a little it fired up. I rode it about 25 miles through town out onto the highway and back home the bike runs GREAT low mid and upper range it's awesome. I got it home and let it sit about 5 minutes went to fire it up and it just cranked no fire hit the throttle a little and it fires up.

One thing I have to say is when I first tried to start it initially after a couple of cranks I heard something that sounded like a chain slapping inside the motor but never heard it after that.
Later
Duke

If you are having a hard time starting when cold make sure your choke lever is opening all the starter plungers on the carbs completely. The right bank is usually slightly more closed than the left due to the design of the actuator arm and that could contribute to poor starting.

Latest posts

Back