Has anyone experienced this?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX Scott

Reaction score
If I accelerate hard I get a slight slippage that lasts maybe a second a couple of times in a row. It?s an instant off and on sensation. Almost like if I were to hit a small ice patch then dry road again. I have experienced this from 1st all the way thru to 5th. It has done this when the bike is cold, warm, and hot.

If I accelerate hard I get a slight slippage that lasts maybe a second a couple of times in a row. It?s an instant off and on sensation. Almost like if I were to hit a small ice patch then dry road again. I have experienced this from 1st all the way thru to 5th. It has done this when the bike is cold, warm, and hot.

I'd guess clutch related. Hammer on it in 5th gear and see if happens worse there then in 1st. If so, I'd say clutch.

If it were just one gear, I'd say trans.

If your bike was the most insane vmax ever, i'd say tire slippage. I don't see that happening in 5th though. :biglaugh:

could be ignition related since it is every gear and misc conditions.

Sean

If your bike was the most insane vmax ever, i'd say tire slippage. I don't see that happening in 5th though. :biglaugh:

:biglaugh: In high school I was the coolest dude in the parking lot because I was the ONLY dude with a motorcycle,let alone (my senior year,my other rears I had a Honda)a V-Max
I had gotten it at the beggining of the year and was not fully used to its characteristics yet.

Whenever I thought nobody was looking I would hammer the gas across the school parking lot because my friends still in class could hear me leaving when I did.

But ever time, my Max would "bog and kinda spool" and I couldnt figure out why only in this parking lot it would not launch!

Then one day I did it (after about a month of doing it) but this time I was kinda leaned over AND I FISHTAILED ACROSS THE PARKING LOT!
The next day I came in and looked at the ground...EVERY DAY FOR THE LAST MONTH I WAS SPINNIN MY TIRE ALL THE WAY OUTTA THE PARKING LOT and never noticed!

It finally dawned on me why the parking guard hated me so much!:rofl_200:
And to think I wondered why my tire was balding so fast!

Anyhow...+1 clutch

Easy way to check if it's clutch slipping is to put front wheel against something that won't move, like a wall, start bike, shift into 5th gear and release clutch while giving some gas - if it stalls out, clutch good, if it doesn't and revs go up - clutch bad

Mike

Mine Does It Also ( Wheel Spin ) , If I'm On A Older Road , ( Meaning Not Freshly Paved ) And The Surface Is A Little Rough & I Hammer It , It Hop's & Sounds Like A Race Boat , Jumping & Landing Back In The Water Really Quick, So When The Tire Grabs It Tries To Jerk The Bike Out From Under Me ! ... The First Time It Had Done It ( When I First Got The Bike ) , I Wasn't Ready For It & I Almost Fell Off Of The Back ! ... But If I'm On A Freshly Paved Road , It Will Wheelie Very Easy !

Just an update, I haven't been able to experiment with different riding conditions as the weather down here has not been cooperating. The first chance I get to get the max out I will try the suggestions and let you guys know. I appreciate the feedback. One note though, most of the roads in Houston are brand new, not a whole lot of gravel or torn up roads. Most are concrete down here due to the extreme heat in the summer. So I don't think that it's an road issue.

Just an update, I haven't been able to experiment with different riding conditions as the weather down here has not been cooperating. The first chance I get to get the max out I will try the suggestions and let you guys know. I appreciate the feedback. One note though, most of the roads in Houston are brand new, not a whole lot of gravel or torn up roads. Most are concrete down here due to the extreme heat in the summer. So I don't think that it's an road issue.

The advice on "5th gear slip" is dead on. Get it in 5th at around 6500-7000 and try full throttle, if the RPM's "runaway" it's almost certainly the clutch. If the clucth is really bad you'll see it in other gears but it'll always be worse in 5th because the motor is working the clutch harder when thrying to accelrate in 5th

What part of Houston do you live in? I'm in Baytown, plenty of other Maxxers aroud these parts too.

I will try the 5th gear slip test as soon as I can. I live in Houston on the NW side, 290 and Hwy 6 area. Let me know when you want to ride.

Not to hijack your post, but my max is doing the same thing in 1, 2, and 3. No problems in 4 or 5. Only does it on hard accelaration. New tires, fresh oil change, new plugs. 12,000 miles. I think the clutch is slipping, motor doesn't seem to die or hesitate.

Indeed. Max has a lot of power, and comes with rather crap tires (Dunlops especially, Bridgestones not much better). Try a Shinko T230 on the rear, you'll have a hard time making that slip on the dry!

Another update:

I have tried all of the suggestions... New roads, dry roads, the 5th gear at around 7 grand, I have a pretty new back tire - Metzler only about 3,000 miles on it. It does it in every gear and now it seams to be getting worse, starts doing it earlier under acceleration now. I think I'm going to rebuild the clutch. From what I have been reading, I should go back with OEM clutch parts. If I'm wrong let me know or if there is something better than that let me know of that too. I don't think I want to do the double D clutch. Any possibility of oil being a factor in this? Just to throw that out there. Thanks to all of the responses.

It can be oil-related: do not use any 'energy conserving' oils as they have additives that will make our clutch slip. If in doubt, drain it and replace it with either Yamalube (recommended by Yamaha) or Shell Rotella-T recommended by a lot of us. Most use the dino type in either 5W40 (colder weather) or 15W40 (hot weather). Remember that to get most of the oil out there's also a drain plug under the middle gear housing.

That's cheaper and easier than rebuilding your clutch, which you may still do if it does not improve. When you say you may go back to OEM parts, what do you mean? What parts do you have that are non-OEM?

Vmax Scott, We have a sunday ride scheduled, meeting at the Dennys on 290 just past Spring Cypress out bound side. kickstands up at 10:00 Am

Hey, I changed the oil from amsoil full synthetic 20-50 to shell rotella t 15-40 and the slipping almost completely went away. Probably still some synthetic in there. May want to try an oil change first if you're using synthetic. I wouldn't want to tear into a good clutch if it's just oil related.

I tried Mobil one and my clutch was slipping 500 miles later so bad that I was not sure I would make it home, changed to rotella t and it seemed to quit slipping and I got my new Barnett clutch in the mail today from Python (changing oil does not help when the plates are probably burnt.

Hello again everyone. Another update..... I changed the oil out to the Shell Rotella-T. It has cleared up most of the problem, but now it only does it in 2nd gear. I have hit it hard in all of the other gears and they are all fine except for 2nd gear. When I accelerate hard it doesn't slip like any other clutch that I have experienced it the past, like the winding up when it starts to slip. Again it,s a on and off problem and I'm not hearing any problem sounds from the engine like it's cutting off at all. I have read in the forums about a 2nd gear issue, and I'm just wondering if this is the direction my Max is pointing to. Again I really appreciate all of the comments and suggestions from everyone.

Thanks again!

Scott

Latest posts

Back