HD Sportster Discussions about a VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I owned a 1988 Sporster 1200 for a couple of years - the best you can get performance wise is decent and that's with alot of upgrades and cash. The vrod is much better bike than the Sporster, and IMO beats a Vmax only in the area of wheels (radial) and chassis. But for me, I'd rather invest the same amount of cash on a properly modded Vmax than own a stock Vrod.

Mike

A V Max is one of those bikes that has to be riden to really be apreciated. I do not have any Harley kill stories because the way I usualy ride I can't tell if they were racing or not lol.

Back on my 79sf XS1100, wife and I were out for a summer ride. We had our gear and helmets and were strolling down main street with the visors up. We got a red light and rolled to a stop. Guy pulls up solo on his fancy Harley - no idea what size but it had the big engine.... Does not even give me a nice nod or waive, me but starts revving the engine like he wanted a go. I gave the wife the tap and told her "this is going to be fun." She put the visor down and I let the hammer down at the green light. He was toast before I topped out 1st gear. Hit 2nd before I started on the brakes because I was well in front and already XSively speeding. And my 85 Max would stomp my XS......

Can't wait to wax a hogly on my 24 year old junker...

Was out riding with my friend who prefers "the finer things in life," and consequently owns a BMW-K1200rs (or one of those newer models...). We switched bikes and his bike was shutting down on the rev limiter... I had trouble keeping up with him riding my Max... He keeps telling me how fast his bike is but it just didn't feel "fast"... But my Max at 6500+ ..... now there's a pretty fast bike...

Now if I could just get those beemer ABS brakes on the Max! (both he and I agree that his ABS has saved us both at times on his bike!)

Back on my 79sf XS1100, wife and I were out for a summer ride. We had our gear and helmets and were strolling down main street with the visors up. We got a red light and rolled to a stop. Guy pulls up solo on his fancy Harley - no idea what size but it had the big engine.... Does not even give me a nice nod or waive, me but starts revving the engine like he wanted a go. I gave the wife the tap and told her "this is going to be fun." She put the visor down and I let the hammer down at the green light. He was toast before I topped out 1st gear. Hit 2nd before I started on the brakes because I was well in front and already XSively speeding. And my 85 Max would stomp my XS......

Was out riding with my friend who prefers "the finer things in life," and consequently owns a BMW-K1200rs (or one of those newer models...). We switched bikes and his bike was shutting down on the rev limiter... I had trouble keeping up with him riding my Max... He keeps telling me how fast his bike is but it just didn't feel "fast"... But my Max at 6500+ ..... now there's a pretty fast bike...

Now if I could just get those beemer ABS brakes on the Max! (both he and I agree that his ABS has saved us both at times on his bike!)

lol you can get ABS 18,000 and they will throw in a new max also..

The BMW K1200RS is definetly a decently fast bike but no match for the max. My good friend rode one for 5 years and everytime I rode that thing it was very uninspiring. No sound to it and it didn't "feel" fast at all (even though it had plenty of power).

The new BMW K1200S is another story. I just sold mine in June and that is a bike that will give a max a run for it's money and then some.

I though some of you might get a kick out of this link:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?p=1544552

My favorite post was this:

"I very much doubt people on a V-Max forum have "why my Max is better than a Sportster" discussions."

I like how the thread starts out with the above quote and morphs into a thread with everyone saying how the vmax is superior. :deadhorse::deadhorse: All I can say is they are two different worlds. 99% of my riding group ride harleys. Dyna lowrider, a wide glide, sportster 883, sportster 883 converted to 1250, sportster 1200, old iron head sporty, and the list goes on. They enjoy their bikes for their own reasons. They enjoy their bikes comfort, simplicity, reliability (no, these guys don't have mechanical problems all the time) and most of all I think they enjoy a sense of commaradery (sp). They feel that they belong to a group. They like the fact that there is so many different options to customize from both the factory and aftermarket. They like the fact they can cruise into nearly any town usa and see someone they have common ground with and strike up a conversation. They have many shops to choose from that understand their machine and they can go in and buy goodies for it off the shelf. I like the fact that I tore into my friends 883 and turned it into a 1250 including new pistons/rings, cylinders, gaskets, cams, redone heads, new ignition, new exhaust, new carb, etc. for less than $3K. And I've never worked on one before. It was easy to do with basic tools and the results were worth it to him.

I got my vmax for different reasons. First off its fast but you're not hunched over like on a crotch rocket. The price (in my opinion) can't be beat for what you get when you buy a used 1st gen bike. They are fun, period. To me, the looks of the bike are just bad ass. Not everyone has one. And the real clincher for me was stepping off of the borrowed 883 that I had been using and throwing a leg over the max for the first time. I was sold 1 mile down the road. Really, that all it took.

Everyone has their reasons for what they own. No bike is better than another in my opinion. It's just which bike you want to own and what you want to do with it. Yes its fun when my Harley buddies get on it and try to pass me when we cruise cause they can't. But that doesn't make my bike better, just faster. And, other than me, who cares if it is faster?

Bout 15 years ago I worked in a factory with just a bunch of regular guys. We pretty much all had bikes or at least a licenes or were getting one. One guy got the HD bug and "order" himself one, and paid more than retail which was teh case at teh time. Didn't tell anybody what it was, but talked about non stop, wore nothign but HD stuff and I used to joke with that if i shellacked a turd and put a HD flag o it he would buy it. Anywho, it comes in, brnigs to to work and its a 883 Hugger. Yes a toatal chic hd. He got soo much shit from everybody about it he must of spent at least another $5000 trying to makeit look like a different bike. It was hilarious.

I like how the thread starts out with the above quote and morphs into a thread with everyone saying how the vmax is superior. :deadhorse::deadhorse: All I can say is they are two different worlds. 99% of my riding group ride harleys. Dyna lowrider, a wide glide, sportster 883, sportster 883 converted to 1250, sportster 1200, old iron head sporty, and the list goes on. They enjoy their bikes for their own reasons.

(Snip)....

Everyone has their reasons for what they own. No bike is better than another in my opinion. It's just which bike you want to own and what you want to do with it. Yes its fun when my Harley buddies get on it and try to pass me when we cruise cause they can't. But that doesn't make my bike better, just faster. And, other than me, who cares if it is faster?

Mike ... major respect sent...you sure nailed it... Build, buy, ride, whatever you wish, But the constant BS about what's better is just that...BS! .. But I believe that since I bought mine, most HD riders I meet and talk to personally have a lot of respect for 'max's.

The comment submitted by this guy, "Needless to say my experience with HD owners has always been bad. In my opinion most of them are agent orange infested vietname vets who haven't heard of Gillette. Nothing wrong with being a vet as I just got out the Marines a few years ago but I can not honestly see ANYTHING fun about riding a HD. If you enjoy being constantly underpowered, leaky and vibey then just go buy a dildo from wal-mart".... is the supreme example of why when I still built and rode HD's, I had no use, mostly contempt, for the squirrels on imports and crotch rockets.

Strange how this thread turned very quickly into a HD bashing party for the most part..when the other one was apparently about respecting the VMax...some things it seems, will never change.

Philthy

Why hate on the HD guys? Just study them. Like ants.

There's a biker bar not far from my house. A regular House of Harley. It's fun on the weekend to pull up (right in front), get off my BKing, walk up to the bar and order a Diet Coke. It's like they've seen their first alien, or something.

I wave at them. I speak to them. And, on rare occasions when I get the chance...I blow by them (and nod). What's not to like?

Jayhawk, next time leave your helmet on and just lift face plate a bit so suck through a straw. That would be hilarious.

Ok so I own an '86 Max. Yesterday my neighbor came by - he has an '85 Harley.

I helped him out as his speedo drive/cable was squeeking, and his rear brake badly needed adjustment. What made me laugh was that the rear brake light switch was a pressure switch that actually has fluid running thru it - that seemed so dum to me. :confused2:

Anyway, once I got done he asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. Having not ridden a HD for a long long time, I took the oppoortunity to check it out.

Well what can I say - it was like riding an antique!! :rofl_200:Considering it was made just a year before Maxine, and probably cost twice the money, I'm sorry but what a POS.

I was expecting arm stretching torque from that big twin, but found it very average. The brakes were just scary - they just didn't seem to work at all, even after adjustement. The handling was about as good as a bicycle. I've ridden bikes like this before - they were made in the 1940s LOL

Don't mean to bash on HD, but I was just gobsmacked by how much less of a bike this '85 was than my '86. I believe it was a sportster - no idea on the motor size but it looked pretty big. There was only one thing I liked on that HD and miss on Maxine - it's got a kick start!!

Agree on pretty much all that said.
But I wave at every one, even the scooter dudes,...if any one says peeps on scooters are wimps,..try riding one in busy traffic , Big bike+large sound = Respect.
Most of my close calls were all on small bikes.
If some one chooses not to wave back,..so be it ...i did my part.
As for helmets,..they are law here. I ride highway mostly, so when the wind is cold and high...i make a point of passing the bandanna covered nut shell wearing dude in hopes he sees me smile through my comfy full face shield.
I ride what i ride cause i love the bike,...if it's HD you love ,..so be it,..lets sit and drink a few and talk about all riding a BIKE has to offer.
Our differences make us interesting,..lets not argue about it, but revel in it.

"Keep it shiny side up" :punk:

Man where do i begin. I love any motorcyle ever made. Its the rider not the bike, on the street. I've had my run ins with the poser HD guys, metric cruiser morons and egotistical croth rocketers. But its always the person I have a problem with, not their bike. I have a loyal small group of riders that I ride with. We are called the black widows (clint eastwood fans know who the black widows were:biglaugh:) and you may commence laughing now. It started as a joke but we have stuck with it. We all have code names and everything, its kinda hilarious. Smoke, Catfish, Skull, Boomhower, Plumber, B Bopp and our fearless vitnam vet leader Snake.:rofl_200: I'm the youngest of the group and between us all we have owned over 40-50 motorcycles. You name it we have prolly rode it, rode the piss outta of it, wan to ride it or at least stood next to it. We love our curvy moutnain rodes, but we can big chill at the dragstrip too. We love every aspect of motorbiking. So to get back on topic here, Skull's dad died 2 years ago and left him a 1999 883. He is not a harley enthusiast by any means and prolly has owned more bikes than any of us in the group except maybe old man snake. He had it custome painted with his dads years on the tank etc. He got the 1200 kit put on it and the fatter gas tank for longer rides. That bike can't beat a max in a straight line but he will humble you with it in a heart beat through the mountains. :worthy: He could give a shit that its a harley, it's a bike, it means something to him, and he rides the hel outta of it. We all ride it and drag some harley chrome bits and forwrd controls and its fun! (we do give him some shit for being a HD owner though, can't just let the stereotypes lay by the wayside, you know) So I hav eno idea where I was going with all this and I am still drunk from last night I think. But those f'in morons (HD ones more than anyone) do suk. They bash and have no clue what they are talking about, but at the same time I won't bash their bike...just them. :damn angry: Ride on!:punk:

Attachments

• Black Widas.jpg
    Black Widas.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Deal's Gap 07 020.jpg
    Deal's Gap 07 020.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 23
  • m_de09290967689ec861ec9e1889842945.jpg
    m_de09290967689ec861ec9e1889842945.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 21
  • l_b27eded3b6b49897a61873161b5ed261.jpg
    l_b27eded3b6b49897a61873161b5ed261.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 15
  • m_07a938efe5b327e9df17dbe46c6088de.jpg
    m_07a938efe5b327e9df17dbe46c6088de.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 20
  • m_6497d163376801d173419c15ad2e084e.jpg
    m_6497d163376801d173419c15ad2e084e.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 17
  • m_7c9af03849b3fadbebff32367c337793.jpg
    m_7c9af03849b3fadbebff32367c337793.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 24
  • untitled.bmp
    56.6 KB · Views: 7
Man where do i begin. I love any motorcyle ever made. Its the rider not the bike, on the street. I've had my run ins with the poser HD guys, metric cruiser morons and egotistical croth rocketers. But its always the person I have a problem with, not their bike. I have a loyal small group of riders that I ride with. We are called the black widows (clint eastwood fans know who the black widows were:biglaugh:) and you may commence laughing now. It started as a joke but we have stuck with it. We all have code names and everything, its kinda hilarious. Smoke, Catfish, Skull, Boomhower, Plumber, B Bopp and our fearless vitnam vet leader Snake.:rofl_200: I'm the youngest of the group and between us all we have owned over 40-50 motorcycles. You name it we have prolly rode it, rode the piss outta of it, wan to ride it or at least stood next to it. We love our curvy moutnain rodes, but we can big chill at the dragstrip too. We love every aspect of motorbiking. So to get back on topic here, Skull's dad died 2 years ago and left him a 1999 883. He is not a harley enthusiast by any means and prolly has owned more bikes than any of us in the group except maybe old man snake. He had it custome painted with his dads years on the tank etc. He got the 1200 kit put on it and the fatter gas tank for longer rides. That bike can't beat a max in a straight line but he will humble you with it in a heart beat through the mountains. :worthy: He could give a shit that its a harley, it's a bike, it means something to him, and he rides the hel outta of it. We all ride it and drag some harley chrome bits and forwrd controls and its fun! (we do give him some shit for being a HD owner though, can't just let the stereotypes lay by the wayside, you know) So I hav eno idea where I was going with all this and I am still drunk from last night I think. But those f'in morons (HD ones more than anyone) do suk. They bash and have no clue what they are talking about, but at the same time I won't bash their bike...just them. :damn angry: Ride on!:punk:

Who's bumblebee R1100S in the background? I bet that sportster won't come near that in the twisty's!

Funnily, I actually quite like the looks of HDs, and have always been a V-twin lover.

Also, when I went riding with Philthy and his crew, I was quite impressed by how well their HDs were going, even if I hated how loud they were. Then again, that wasn't so much of a problem - all I had to do was whizz past them:eusa_dance::biglaugh:

But man, that '85 sure was an eye-opener, I didn't think it would be as bad as it was..

The group I ride with , around 15 bikes, is a mix of Harley's from Sportster's, Dyna's, Heritage Baggers, one Indian and a couple Vrods. They are the best group of Riders you could ask for. They all respect the Vmax, In fact they all would like one and when they take mine for a spin, they all come back with big freakin grin. The only bike in the group that even ran with me was a Screamin Vrod and he still sucked my exhaust fumes from start to finish. Was I impressed with that v-Twin, sure. I love all bikes, but the vmax is what I always wanted. Took me until 2006 to get a new one and its been the best adventure's I could have ever imagined.

Chris Hansen
# 4560

Agree on pretty much all that said.
But I wave at every one, even the scooter dudes,...if any one says peeps on scooters are wimps,..try riding one in busy traffic , Big bike+large sound = Respect.
Most of my close calls were all on small bikes.
If some one chooses not to wave back,..so be it ...i did my part.
As for helmets,..they are law here. I ride highway mostly, so when the wind is cold and high...i make a point of passing the bandanna covered nut shell wearing dude in hopes he sees me smile through my comfy full face shield.
I ride what i ride cause i love the bike,...if it's HD you love ,..so be it,..lets sit and drink a few and talk about all riding a BIKE has to offer.
Our differences make us interesting,..lets not argue about it, but revel in it.

"Keep it shiny side up" :punk:

I'll second that !

fasterlapdunn... Many Thanks for sharing your post n' pics... BWFFBW..

Y'all got a great crew there...good asortment of rides, and good people who enjoy good times and love for riding...and who the hell gives a damn WHAT you ride?....

The lil' tribute snortster looks sweet!...I'm sure the late Larry C would be very proud!

We (also jokingly), call ourselves "Wild Dogs", 'cause Wild Hogs was already taken, and we don't all ride 'hogs' either...

Special greetings sent to your 'prez', Snake, from another surviving and bearded "agent orange soaked "vietname" vet".... Ride On Bros!

Uncle Philthy

Back