Header Color

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
Hey guys, just noticed my stainless header pipes are getting a gold/copper like color to them. Tried reading up on what may cause that..I'm somewhat getting the feeling that this is natural with stainless but wanted to make sure I'm not running lean. Is this gold/copper color a sign that iits running lean? Bike does'nt seem to exhibit lean symptoms when riding it...Thanks

How do the spark plugs look? bright White=lean, black/dark brown=rich, light brown=good

Last edited:
Hey guys, just noticed my stainless header pipes are getting a gold/copper like color to them. Tried reading up on what may cause that..I'm somewhat getting the feeling that this is natural with stainless but wanted to make sure I'm not running lean. Is this gold/copper color a sign that iits running lean? Bike does'nt seem to exhibit lean symptoms when riding it...Thanks

I was concerned about that very thing with my Mark's so I sent this pic to Mark, as well as several Mark's owners.

Mark said this was normal, especially the rear ones as they get less air circulation. The other Mark's owners confirmed their pipes were doing the same thing, some said their rear pipes were even darker.

Attachments

• 100_1851.jpg
    100_1851.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 44
I was concerned about that very thing with my Mark's so I sent this pic to Mark, as well as several Mark's owners.

Mark said this was normal, especially the rear ones as they get less air circulation. The other Mark's owners confirmed their pipes were doing the same thing, some said their rear pipes were even darker.

It's possible to remove it with some polish compound and some hard work :)
Had the same on mine, if you do it all frequently you can keep it shiny but it's hell since it will always turn gold :)

Other solution is coating, haven't try yet.

It's possible to remove it with some polish compound and some hard work :)
Had the same on mine, if you do it all frequently you can keep it shiny but it's hell since it will always turn gold :)

Other solution is coating, haven't try yet.

I've heard it can be polished out, but after looking at the rear headers, and determining the most effective way to polish them would be to remove them, and replace gaskets when re-installing....plus all the dicking around with the other pipes & cans 'n shit.....I've decided I absolutely LOVE that rich dark golden color!!

In fact, if the pipes DIDN'T turn that color I would burn them with a propane torch!

I've heard it can be polished out, but after looking at the rear headers, and determining the most effective way to polish them would be to remove them, and replace gaskets when re-installing....plus all the dicking around with the other pipes & cans 'n shit.....I've decided I absolutely LOVE that rich dark golden color!!

In fact, if the pipes DIDN'T turn that color I would burn them with a propane torch!

i can see you out there at night, welders glasses on, torch burning away anything for that perfect look ey Dan :punk:. that seat pad shift around on you any when riding dan???

All 4 of my Kerker pipes have that gold tint to it. My a/f and plugs are fine. I guess its the nature of the beast. I kinda like it myself.

[/COLOR]

i can see you out there at night, welders glasses on, torch burning away anything for that perfect look ey Dan :punk:. that seat pad shift around on you any when riding dan???

Not at all Ro, just when I get off aparrantly....eh? I should have centered it before taking the pic I guess.

There's only enough air in it to give a slight cushion between yer butt and the seat.

didnt notice it was slightly off, then again im slightly off so that must have made it centered in my eyes i guess :rofl_200: no was just wondering if it might be a little wiggly on the turns or hard braking.

Stainless does turn a golden almost dirty brown when heat is applied. Perfectly normal. When it starts looking like a rainbow (and not titanium material) then you need to be worried.

Sean

didnt notice it was slightly off, then again im slightly off so that must have made it centered in my eyes i guess :rofl_200: no was just wondering if it might be a little wiggly on the turns or hard braking.

I use it on Morley and Sportmax seats and have noticed no shifting, altho it's well documented that I don't drive like some of the 'maniacs' I hang around with!! :rofl_200:

Also, not sure how it would act on a stock seat. :confused2:

im you need to test it out on a stock seat, you dont need to beat around the bush Dan-O id be happy to donate the V2 for further testing and documentation.......

Seans comment about the rainbow colors made me a bit nervous so I ran out and shot some pictures of the rear header pipes..When Sean says rainbow what colors am I looking for?

Does the color of headers in these pcitures look like anything to be concerned with...

Thanks

Attachments

• Rear Left Compressed.jpg
    Rear Left Compressed.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Rear Right Compressed.jpg
    Rear Right Compressed.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 30
think mine are little more blue then yours but im not around the bike to take pics. bike came like that(blueish/rainbow)

Seans comment about the rainbow colors made me a bit nervous so I ran out and shot some pictures of the rear header pipes..When Sean says rainbow what colors am I looking for?

Does the color of headers in these pcitures look like anything to be concerned with...

Thanks

Yours look great. When large sections of the pipe start turning blue or rainbow color that is when you should start worrying.

Would you mind taking you camera out and getting a few more shots of the left side of you bike? I'm interested in seeing the wiring and vent hose routing down that side. I'd like to see a shot near the shift lever if possible

Sure, I'll snap some photos, Im actually posting some on the bike as I speak with the mods I just finished up with. If you cant make out the details you need from the pictures I have I'll take a close up of whatever you need.

I was able to get all the yellow off of my pipes with a polishing wheel mounted in the bench vise, my dremel with a polishing wheel, and using this stuff:

http://www.californiacustom.com/purple_metal_polish.html

The lighter brown color came off pretty easy by hand with this polish but it got tiring and there were some stubborn spots. Once I broke out the wheel and the grinder things got a lot easier. Its messy work though.

Yes, get Honda Metal Polish...it'll get the copper sheen off in short order.

Vmaxes are a little wiggly on turns and hard braking anyway.......a loose seat pad would hardly be noticeable:biglaugh:

Back