Header wrapping exhaust can.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saml01

Reaction score
I have a kerker exhaust on my bike and its in pretty rough shape overall. The biggest eyesore is the badly peeling chrome on the can. Im talking big chunks peeled off exposing the dull metal underneath. I honestly never knew chrome peeled, but it is. I dont want to re-chrome the can right at this moment for a few reasons so I figured id conceal the ugly as much as I can. I was watching biker build off(yea yea ha ha) and saw one of the guys use header wrap on his pipes. So I thought, why not just wrap the can. If I can do it tight and consistent it wont look bad I think.

What do you guys think?

What color should I use?
Black
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E243CA/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Titanium
http://www.amazon.com/010129-Titani...U7G4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292771327&sr=8-1

Leaning toward black.

It will look great while you are saving for a new can. It will keep any moisture traped if your in a wet/rainy/snow (?) area. I had it on the pipes of my ZX11 and it was all good in the Nevada desert ( which is now covered in snow:confused2:)
Lew

little off topic but what kind of length do we need to do 4 headers?

Ive read that its a bad idea because it traps moisture and rusts out the pipe but I'm sure you're not gonna puddle jump your bike. Wouldn't any moisture bake off with the heat? Id try it, you may keep it if it turns out good. I use thermotech wrap on my 68 BB Chevelle headers years ago and they still 'feel' good since I cant see if the pipes rusted or not. I also used the can sealer made by them too so maybe that helps.

^ Thats exactly what I think. If it ever gets wet it will instantly bake off. Hell the guys on the show put theres on WET so it was more elastic, then after the exhaust heat dried the wrap the result was a tighter wind.

I never saw the titanium before, but it looks pretty cool. Still, I would go with black. I've got a thing for black-wrapped exhaust, white letter tires & racing stripes, but that's just me. So far all I can afford is the stripes. :biglaugh:

Good point, just in case there aren't any instructions (thermotec comes with them) You need to soak the wrap in warm water first, obviously overlap and clamp it off at the end with some nice looking stainless clamps. I used lock wire twists to hold it at corners till it dried, then sprayed the whole thing with the sealer.

Like the idea. I have same issue except I'm just too cheap to buy a new can lol. So I might steal the idea if ya don't mind!!
:clapping:

Robert

I used some 1" wide wrap on my rear cylinder down tubes. I went this way because I have removed alot of stuff in that area "sheilds" and I wanted to protect the fuel tank and the battery from any extra heat!

G

Good point, just in case there aren't any instructions (thermotec comes with them) You need to soak the wrap in warm water first, obviously overlap and clamp it off at the end with some nice looking stainless clamps. I used lock wire twists to hold it at corners till it dried, then sprayed the whole thing with the sealer.

How does the sealer work?

Its in a spray can, once its dry you just spray it on like paint. Thermo-tec has it and probably auto stores.
http://www.thermotec.com/products/12001-hi-heat-coating.html

Just a thought. This is what the wrap was designed to do so be aware that it may change the performance. I'm not an expert and someone else may chime in on this but wrapping one or half of a system may or may not cause a difference in power.
Wrapping headers maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower intake temperatures. My guess is its very small.

Back