Help-how do I lower the bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaha2008

Reaction score
I want to buy a VMAX really bad. However, the bike is a little tall for me. I am tip toeing when the bike is not moving. Is there a cheap and simple way to lower the bike by 2 inches?

Easiest way would be to get an aftermarket seat from Sean Morley or John Furbur at brmsportmax.com. That will lower you a couple of inches. otherwise, you can get shorter Progressive rear shocks. Stock length is 13 inches so may want to go with 11.5. Only thing is it'll be harder to use center stand unless you modify. You will also need to cut a 1/2 inch from your side stand so it leans properly. To lower the front to match the rear just slide your fork tubes an inch or so up in the triple trees.

Easiest way would be to get an aftermarket seat from Sean Morley or John Furbur at brmsportmax.com. That will lower you a couple of inches. otherwise, you can get shorter Progressive rear shocks. Stock length is 13 inches so may want to go with 11.5. Only thing is it'll be harder to use center stand unless you modify. You will also need to cut a 1/2 inch from your side stand so it leans properly. To lower the front to match the rear just slide your fork tubes an inch or so up in the triple trees.

I agree with all of this except, you should get the progessive fork spring lowering kit and lower forks that way. This way your curing two issues, height and the spongy springs

i run 280 - 300 lbs and I'm worried that lowering will make it so I just don't room to compress my fat ass over the bumps.. do you guys think that with aftermarket springs and rear shocks that would be an issue?

I also wanted to put that larger-than-stock tank in, would that cause clearance issues?

I'd reccommend trying the seat first. I bought a max where the forks were lowered about an inch and it really felt like it affected the handling. It might have just been me but it felt tippy compared to my stock.

Additionally it seemed to change my riding position just enough to irritate. I was more forward and it put pressure on, well my ass joint, where you legs conncet with your butt :) I could ride all day on my stock but starrting getting tired after about 50 mi on the lowered one.

My friend is 6' 270 and never grounded out. On the bright side it's easy to raise back up if you don't like it.

I'd reccommend trying the seat first. I bought a max where the forks were lowered about an inch and it really felt like it affected the handling. It might have just been me but it felt tippy compared to my stock.

Additionally it seemed to change my riding position just enough to irritate. I was more forward and it put pressure on, well my ass joint, where you legs conncet with your butt :) I could ride all day on my stock but starrting getting tired after about 50 mi on the lowered one.

My friend is 6' 270 and never grounded out. On the bright side it's easy to raise back up if you don't like it.

finally someone who feels the same. I think dropping the fork tubes in the tripple tree SUCKS!!! It does affect the handling. I have two maxes, the second one I bought had the triple dropped on the tubes. Hated It.

Yes try the seat first. If your just tippie toe you probably would be OK with the seat.

Do get yourself some fork springs. I would go to Racetech for springs. I felt the progressives were to soft for my 240lb ass. Racetech can lowere them for you if you want to go that way.

Im not sure about the bottoming out with shorter shocks. call John Furber at www.rmsportmax.com he's a big dude and could probably help ya.

/hijack on Hey where in MN are ya Mnmax? I'm over in maplewood /hijack off

i run 280 - 300 lbs and I'm worried that lowering will make it so I just don't room to compress my fat ass over the bumps.. do you guys think that with aftermarket springs and rear shocks that would be an issue?

I also wanted to put that larger-than-stock tank in, would that cause clearance issues?

I'm currently 285 and have been heavier with no issues lowered. I went 11.5 in the rear and 2" Race-Tech internal drop up front. Replace the stock springs. They SUCK! Especially with someone your weight.

I do have my max lowered 2" internally up front with Progressive's lowering spring kit, as well as the Progressive springs. I have also installed a set of the Ricor intiminators. It feels OK, but this morning on the way to work, I hit a couple of bumps and the front suspension hit bottom. I have the preload spacers cut so that they are just slightly above the tubes, and am running 20oz of 5w fork oil in each tube. Is there anything else I can do to keep from hitting bottom?
:ummm:

I clock about three bills myself and run with 11.5 progressive rears and a 2" drop up front from the progessive spring kit.

It can be a real ass-puncher, but so is just about any bike with someone our size on it. It's certainly no worse than stock, and I find the whole thing greatly improved if you add one of Seans seats to the mix. Depending on your pipes the biggest issue with lowering will be cornering clearance. My cobra's drag early, and often.

I have progressive springs in the front and my bike is lowered 2 3/4" at the trees and 2" in the rear and I weigh 245 lbs. and my bike handles great .
It steers alot better that at stock height where you get that teeter totter feeling going around corners and drives and corners well in the mountains.
I also lost the air in the front and no mushy felling when I brake and the tire dosen`t come near the radiator either.
<<:th_favorites24:David>>

Back