Help with oil change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did everything I could. Damn it, dummy that had this bike before me overtightened it to death. Vise Grips didn't help, now it's completely stripped. I have to buy extractors now, it sucks big time. First I'm getting air compressor to do the shotgun, idling on this bike is crap. Opened up carbs from each side, dirt, gasoline came out with dirt in it too. One of the left carbs was stuck inside, that's why I didn't like the sound in the first place. I'm glad I took stuff apart, it looks bad enough. Another thing on this bike was wobble, low or high speed. Today I took large flat screwdriver and a small hammer, hammered two rings with notches on them. Well it went around about half inch, maybe little more. Than I tightened the main bolt on top. Could this be my problem with wobble? BTW I didn't mess up the rings at all, did it gently. Please somebody answer on all this, got enough trouble already. Wish somebody could help me, got enough tools but no hands. Thanx to all and forum.

Well I did everything I could. Damn it, dummy that had this bike before me overtightened it to death. Vise Grips didn't help, now it's completely stripped. I have to buy extractors now, it sucks big time. First I'm getting air compressor to do the shotgun, idling on this bike is crap. Opened up carbs from each side, dirt, gasoline came out with dirt in it too. One of the left carbs was stuck inside, that's why I didn't like the sound in the first place. I'm glad I took stuff apart, it looks bad enough. Another thing on this bike was wobble, low or high speed. Today I took large flat screwdriver and a small hammer, hammered two rings with notches on them. Well it went around about half inch, maybe little more. Than I tightened the main bolt on top. Could this be my problem with wobble? BTW I didn't mess up the rings at all, did it gently. Please somebody answer on all this, got enough trouble already. Wish somebody could help me, got enough tools but no hands. Thanx to all and forum.

Hey did you try the punch and hammer method on the drain bolt? It's always worked for me.

To check your steering bearing for tightness, do the bounce test! Get the bike on the center stand, then either get someone heavyish to sit on the pillion seat or jack up the front under the motor - you need the front wheel off the ground.
Then, starting with the wheel pointing straight ahead, give the handlebars a little nudge and watch them fall. They should come to a rest gently. If they bounce off the stops, your castle nuts need tightening some more. If they don't fall all the way, they're too tight and you'll end up with a low speed weave (always have to correct, can't keep it in a straight line).
BUT, this is just adjustment. If your steering bearings are worn (mine were, badly), no adjustment, furbur washer or anything like that will stop it from wobbling - only fresh bearings will do.

Get the concept, and you'll never forget. Using your right hand, turn the bolt in the direction of your fingers, and the bolt will move in the direction your thumb points.

Right Hand Rule

Right_hand_rule_simple.png

My handlebars fall fast to the sides, I think it was loose for sure. I will be able to tell if steering bearings are bad or not. Just need to drive it. As for drain plug, just came back from Lowe's with a extractor. I will post results after dinner tonight.
How important are little screws 4, when doing shotgun on your carbs, it said to count in increments and screw them in and then out.

You turn them in, counting the revolutions, before backing them completely out so you can set them back where they were after you're finished with the shotgun.

For example: You turn the a/f screw in GENTLY 2 & 3/4's turns and it bottoms out....then back it out completely, perform the shotgun then when replacing that screw, screw it all the way in till it bottoms out, then back it out 2 3/4's turns.

That puts it where it was when you started.

AAAAH yes that's it. Is it really important how they go back? I'm asking just in case ,if by accident I turn'em little bit more left or right.

AAAAH yes that's it. Is it really important how they go back? I'm asking just in case ,if by accident I turn'em little bit more left or right.

Put a narrow strip of tape on your screwdriver handle and count the revolutions, you will come very close that way.

Just be sure to write them down referencing which carb, etc.

Yes I did write everything down, I made schematic too. So hopefully I won't make a mistake that bad. And how easy is to learn to tune carbs with proper tool? Thanx for the info.

Yes I did write everything down, I made schematic too. So hopefully I won't make a mistake that bad. And how easy is to learn to tune carbs with proper tool? Thanx for the info.

Assuming you don't make any drastic changes like a full system exhaust or any other mods it's pretty easy. Syncing is about it, everything else is pretty much maintenance.

Nice, sounds good to me. Not much to mess up. Oh yeah, my drain plug is off. I am happy again he he he

Oh man, bike is very heavy right? I'm by myself to fight it, tried to put it on one side somehow to fix the problem. Well I ended up leaning my bike on left side, not flat but close to it. Wanted to drill the pilot hole for the extractor, but changed my mind and instead took the socket 17mm and tried to hammer it on the bolt. After couple of times I had it on, don't ask me how. Unscrewed it very easy. Big problem was to lift the bike, I'm actually sweating still. Everything is OK now. Thanx for ideas guys

Oh man, bike is very heavy right? I'm by myself to fight it, tried to put it on one side somehow to fix the problem. Well I ended up leaning my bike on left side, not flat but close to it. Wanted to drill the pilot hole for the extractor, but changed my mind and instead took the socket 17mm and tried to hammer it on the bolt. After couple of times I had it on, don't ask me how. Unscrewed it very easy. Big problem was to lift the bike, I'm actually sweating still. Everything is OK now. Thanx for ideas guys

You don't drill for bolt extractors......they look like sockets with spiral grooves in them......to cut into and grip a rounded bolt head.....

You drill pilot holes for screw extractors....look like spiral drill bits or square steel with a sharpened side......both styles taper to cut into the hole drilled in the snapped screw shank and remove it....

Glad you got it sorted......

Does your bike have a center stand??

I had no problems getting access to anything up on the stand......that's why I don't want to lose use of it:confused2:

As for laying it down on it's side to work on it........you is NUTS!!!!! Note to self.......never piss off Steelfish.....

Leaning it that far over might have caused other issues.......I will let the more experienced folks comment further on that.

I didn't drop the bike at all. I got 4 extra wheels and tires for my car stacked up. But they were too low. It was hard to lower it, but hard to lift it again. Bike is fine, unless you can damage something lowering it.

just give it a bit to make sure the gas has drained properly and the like. shouldn't mess up anything with it on its side. mine was on its side in november.

just let the floats and gas normalize.

yea the bolt extractors basically have a left hand die sorta right?

Screw extractor is what they gave me actually. I'm lucky, didn't try to drill a hole in drain plug. Bike was on two tires height. I don't think anything is bad at all.

Screw extractor is what they gave me actually. I'm lucky, didn't try to drill a hole in drain plug. Bike was on two tires height. I don't think anything is bad at all.

yea, which would work for a screw, but it'd be a lot easier for a bolt extractor for that in the future.

and yea i agree. just don't start it up right away and she's fine.

No starting my bike for at least 3-4 days, I got to check more stuff. Can't wait to ride again.

Steelfish...if you have a conventional battery (not a sealed gel one) check to see if any acid ran out anywhere and got on anything!

If so, neutralize with a baking soda/water mixture and rinse liberally. You don't want any of that crap left on any part of your bike!

Glad you got the drain plug out.....that wasn't so bad....right? LOL!

Latest posts

Back