HID setup

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
Just wanted to share that these inexspensive HID setups are still available for our bikes. This fits in the stock light housing without any modifications. I put one on last August without any issues. I purchased the 55watt HI/LO 6000K HID slim ballast setup. Its showing $47.50 plus shipping now.

Its insanely bright!!! The picture of my bike below is in my garage in the dark with the low beam on.

Here is the link:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

Attachments

• HID2.jpg
    HID2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Was the stock harness long enough to be flexible as to where you mounted the ballast?

All my ballast and relay was placed behind my left scoop just fine. Two clean wires come from the headlight to the left scoop. Its very clean and the results are awesome! This mod took me less than 2 hours to do. There is plenty of extra slack in the wiring harness for the HID. Some place the ballast on one side and the relay on the other side.

Thanks for the info on the HID kits. I had been thinking of doing this as well. The eyes aren't getting any better, especially at night... LOL :biglaugh:

I had my eye on these kits from this vendor: Click Here

Anyone use these?

G Man

I have ddmtuning.com sets on 3 vehicles: my '09 GMC, a '96 Camry, & a '95 Accord. They work great & I intend to get one for the VMax too. All installed easily. I got 35 watt/6k kits. I received them about a week after ordering.

In the truck I run them in the lows & fogs, I had them in the highs but ended up removing them because I rarely used them. I also had to source a new thinner o ring for the bulb install because the stock one would not fit in my fog housing easily, I used a pair from an ass't. I bought for ac repair at the local auto parts house.

The only thing I wish to mention is that in the GMC the highs did take a few seconds to power-up to max brightness & if you don't have the lows stay on w/the highs, you may not like the non-instant-on function. Some people solder a jumper between the low & high terminals on the headlight relay to provide this dual function.

Yeah, the DDMTUNING is a nice HID kit for the vmax at a reasonable price. I did go with the 55 watt kitt since I went all LED elsewhere so there is plenty of reserve on my bike for the 55 watt over 35 watt kit. I only notice that when you first fire up the bike, it takes a minute for the HID to fully illuminate and then its good to go. No hesitation between low/high beam at all.

BTW....DDMTUNING gives a lifetime warranty on its HID kits at NO EXTRA CHARGE! Their technical help has been useful for when I called in with questions. I am all for this company being its USA based and owned. Cant beat the price either for this kit.

FOR ALL DOING THIS no matter what make, just make sure you get the SLIM BALLAST setup unless it wont fit!

Enjoy......

I have ddmtuning.com sets on 3 vehicles: my '09 GMC, a '96 Camry, & a '95 Accord. They work great & I intend to get one for the VMax too. All installed easily. I got 35 watt/6k kits. I received them about a week after ordering.

In the truck I run them in the lows & fogs, I had them in the highs but ended up removing them because I rarely used them. I also had to source a new thinner o ring for the bulb install because the stock one would not fit in my fog housing easily, I used a pair from an ass't. I bought for ac repair at the local auto parts house.

The only thing I wish to mention is that in the GMC the highs did take a few seconds to power-up to max brightness & if you don't have the lows stay on w/the highs, you may not like the non-instant-on function. Some people solder a jumper between the low & high terminals on the headlight relay to provide this dual function.

vmax2extreme I bought the same kit you listed, how the hell do I wire this thing??? LOL Mine didn't come with any directions and there is an awful lot of shit to try to fit! :confused2: Any help would be appreciated guys!

Id like to see a picture outside at night.

My main concern is the reflector housing washing out the beam.

Just wanted to say thanks Mike for sending me the directions!:clapping:

Mike's not lying when he said its bright! I love it, I can actually see at night now! Big props to Mike for posting this & helping me out with the install! :clapping:

I just saw this posted by Ibrahim on the VMOAtech list, it a single bulb/ ballast HID setup.I just thought I'd add it to the resources on HID's.
Here is the current (4/3/11) ebay listing for their Motorcycle HID: H4-4 HID Bi-XENON Motor Motorbike Conversion Kit 6K 8K
Here is their ebay store:Leaps Xenon

He has since taken his recommendation back as once mounted :

" The cutoff between the low & high beam is off ( in order to have a useful high beam , the low beam will be just a few feet away from the bike , if the headlight aim is adjusted for the best low beam , the high beam will light up the trees ). "

" When changing from low to high beam or vice versa , the delay is too long , making it like having no light for 40 seconds ( this does not happen with the solenoid type bulb ). "

" The idea of design is good but the high burner is misplaced by several mm which is way off . I don't recommend this kit any more & hope not too many people bought it . "

" I'll take it off and put back my 55 watt blaster . "

Couple people expressed their disappointment that they had ordered it already based on his recommendation , ( prior to his installation and test ) .

Well the one I am showing here isnt the one talked about below. The Hi/Lo switchover is instantly with no delays and works great. The dramatic range of sight impact is phenomenal! I still say its the best bang for the buck.

He has since taken his recommendation back as once mounted :

" The cutoff between the low & high beam is off ( in order to have a useful high beam , the low beam will be just a few feet away from the bike , if the headlight aim is adjusted for the best low beam , the high beam will light up the trees ). "

" When changing from low to high beam or vice versa , the delay is too long , making it like having no light for 40 seconds ( this does not happen with the solenoid type bulb ). "

" The idea of design is good but the high burner is misplaced by several mm which is way off . I don't recommend this kit any more & hope not too many people bought it . "

" I'll take it off and put back my 55 watt blaster . "

Couple people expressed their disappointment that they had ordered it already based on his recommendation , ( prior to his installation and test ) .

Mike's not lying when he said its bright! I love it, I can actually see at night now! Big props to Mike for posting this & helping me out with the install! :clapping:

I am truly glad that you have had a painless installation. I too now recollect that they do not give you an installation manual, but you have to go online and download it (see link below). The file is too large to upload here.

https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=11&nav=0,1

Now on to LED accent lights. Waiting on them from China MFG. I cant wait since they just shipped. If these babies work, I'm going to start selling them here since nobody else in the USA handles it.

So i just installed that kit yall are talking about. Hooked it up fine. Later on i cranked it up and it was idleing at like 750 almost spuddering.Thought it was just cold and took it around the block, it would rev up to about 3000+ and really spudder. 2700 and under it was running ok to get me home. but nothing or 55 mph. Checked the main fuses and the other fuses under the tank. They were fine. Any advice??? I also unplugged the hid kit and plugged the stock blub back in and it is still running off.

With many-a-max going down for the winter, I thought I'd give this thread a bump.
Best $ I spent and the better thing is, it didn't cost me a bundle of greenbacks.

This company is sweet to deal with and has lightning fast shipping.

Here are a few pix. I don't run the conventional headlight, but still, the cost was under $50 ($61 w/shipping). I had to change up on the wiring harness, but it cleaned up and mounted nicely.
Here is the unit. Its in 6000k color and two 35w bulbs do the lighting. I converted the wiring harness. Here is a couple before and afters, plus a cool effect I'm getting. I call it; "Skull and Crossbones". I don't know where it's coming from There is no light pollution and my headlights project straight. I think it might have somthing to do with the reflectors in the headlights. I think its pretty cool, besides skull and crossbones and a blacked out Vmax seems like a good match.

Attachments

• P1030459.jpg
    P1030459.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 79
  • P1030452.jpg
    P1030452.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 68
  • P1030454.jpg
    P1030454.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 70
  • P1030461.jpg
    P1030461.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 68
  • P1030462.jpg
    P1030462.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 69
  • P1030464.jpg
    P1030464.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 79
  • P1030463.jpg
    P1030463.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P1030456.jpg
    P1030456.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I just picked up the DDMTuning kit for my Max and finally got a few hours and some nice temps to do the install. I could not get everything to fit under the left scoop area. I shoved, pushed and tried to use every nook and cranny there was and it wouldn't work. Can anyone post pics on where they put everything or at least a detailed explanation? This makes me really want to ditch the airbox for individual filters!

I tested it first before install and burned my retinas in the process. I was looking directly at the bulb during testing and could only see white spots for about 5 minutes afterwards!

Oh, the bulb I got with the kit required that I cut out the back of the headlight bucket to clear.

Thanks!

Did you get the thin ballast or did it come with the thick.

Can you get away with mounting it between the coolent overflow and the airbox?

The ballast is pretty small and I would imagine its the 'slim' varient. I don't believe the wire length would allow me to extend it so far.

I just picked up the DDMTuning kit for my Max and finally got a few hours and some nice temps to do the install. I could not get everything to fit under the left scoop area. I shoved, pushed and tried to use every nook and cranny there was and it wouldn't work. Can anyone post pics on where they put everything or at least a detailed explanation? This makes me really want to ditch the airbox for individual filters!

I tested it first before install and burned my retinas in the process. I was looking directly at the bulb during testing and could only see white spots for about 5 minutes afterwards!

Oh, the bulb I got with the kit required that I cut out the back of the headlight bucket to clear.

Thanks!

Mine did as well. I put what I could behind the left scoop and the rest just inside the frame near the iggy box. Sorry no pics.

Latest posts

Back