HID Headlight Upgrade Gone Bad

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
So I'm halfway thru my upgrade and guess what? Yup, the headlight doesn't go back together with the new filament. A 1/4" too long!!

Of all the posts I read before buying it there was no mention of ANYTHING about having to custom hack out the back of my housing.

Has anyone done this upgrade and had this problem?
Was there another solution to the problem without pulling out the dremel?

Below is the link that is in the thread I read and ordered from. But it looks like they pulled up and left town. The link doesn't work anymore.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

Probably right after they got my money....:damn angry:

Otherwise the bulb is bright and looks like it's gonna be awesome.

TIA for any help.

A guy on the Yahoo lists did this mod with a bi-xenon kit and the micro-ballasts and he had to cut the opening on the back of the headlight shell. Another option is using a 7 inch headlight.

A guy on the Yahoo lists did this mod with a bi-xenon kit and the micro-ballasts and he had to cut the opening on the back of the headlight shell. Another option is using a 7 inch headlight.
Like Mark said take a look at a 7" lamp as the housing is a little deeper.
Here is the link to the Yahoo list HID conversion. Looks like he as taken down the pictures but the explanation is there. Hope this helps somehow Mike.

Mike, I may have a extra housing,:ummm: if I do I'll bring it with me saterday.

Well thats interesting. They used to sell a slim balast kit for 55 shipped. Now they dont. Gay, I shoulda gotten one when I had the chance.

Red, No. Those are not simular. I'll be back out there tonight. I have some pics of the hardware i'll try to post later. I should get back in there tonight after work. I'll take some pics of the hack job as it goes.

Rick, I have a spare housing if I ever decide to go back to stock. Thanks anyways. Catch ya tomorrow.

Red, No. Those are not simular. I'll be back out there tonight. I have some pics of the hardware i'll try to post later. I should get back in there tonight after work. I'll take some pics of the hack job as it goes.

Rick, I have a spare housing if I ever decide to go back to stock. Thanks anyways. Catch ya tomorrow.

Hi Mike,

I successfully installed a DDMturning motorcycle HID kit last year from this site. IT was a 55watt 5000k single slim ballast setup. It was tight, but I had no problem installing everything inside of my stock light housing. I ran the actual relay and ballasts under my left scoop. Very clean nice setup and looks awesome! I have highly recommended this company. Looking at their site now, they no longer list this setup. Not sure what happened being they do warranty it for lifetime so they say! Did you get a slim ballast bulb? The normal HID will not fit, but the slim ones do. Heres the pic of it in my dark garage.....

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3135&page=4

Hi Mike,

I successfully installed a DDMturning motorcycle HID kit last year from this site. IT was a 55watt 5000k single slim ballast setup. It was tight, but I had no problem installing everything inside of my stock light housing. I ran the actual relay and ballasts under my left scoop. Very clean nice setup and looks awesome! I have highly recommended this company. Looking at their site now, they no longer list this setup. Not sure what happened being they do warranty it for lifetime so they say! Did you get a slim ballast bulb? The normal HID will not fit, but the slim ones do. Heres the pic of it in my dark garage.....

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3135&page=4

Not sure on the bulb type. I had ordered this a while back and have been waiting for winter to finally install it (along with a bunch of other items). I had read a thread and it was saying to install "this one" so I follwed the link and ordered it.

I have one "box" above my ignitor and the other two under the left scoop. They're tucked-in pretty neatly. I'm happy with the setup thus far (except for this one issue). Tonight I should be able to finish getting it in there and make the final connections.

As stated, I'm already impressed with the improvement of light. Can't wait to get it out on the dark backroads this spring.

Not sure on the bulb type. I had ordered this a while back and have been waiting for winter to finally install it (along with a bunch of other items). I had read a thread and it was saying to install "this one" so I follwed the link and ordered it.

I have one "box" above my ignitor and the other two under the left scoop. They're tucked-in pretty neatly. I'm happy with the setup thus far (except for this one issue). Tonight I should be able to finish getting it in there and make the final connections.

As stated, I'm already impressed with the improvement of light. Can't wait to get it out on the dark backroads this spring.

I know that I reused my rubber grommet on the back of the light bucket. Are you sure you took the protective covering off of the actual bulb? Check and see if your bulb is called a slim ballast or not. If its not the slim, it wont fit the stock bucket. I too purchased this from the forum posting here and love it. Its like night and day with this. I do plenty of early morning riding to work on country back roads so it gives me more lighting for animals in the surrounding. I LOVE IT!!!

I got my system mounted and working last night with only minor cosmetic surgery required.

Captive here in the garage I can't tell much yet except it's appears much brighter and it's defineately a bit different being blue-ish and not....yellow-ish........

Pics, comments & questions to follow shortly....

I'm working on pics...but first a couple of questions.....

1. Does it harm the ignition to leave the key forwards for, say, 10 minutes or more (i'm on a battery tender also. does it hurt that?)? I'm trying to test the durability of the new install (a liitle bit anyways in the garage). Feel what's getting warm/hot and so forth......I know you don't want to run the bike with boots off to possibly damage the ignition. just wondering.......

2. The "black box" that has the heatsink built onto it starts out with a fairly loud high-pitch whine then after about 10 secs. quiets down considerably but is still there buzzing away.....i'm assuming this is normal?.....Unless someone tells me differently.

Thanks.

1. Does it harm the ignition to leave the key forwards for, say, 10 minutes or more (i'm on a battery tender also. does it hurt that?)? I'm trying to test the durability of the new install (a liitle bit anyways in the garage). Feel what's getting warm/hot and so forth......I know you don't want to run the bike with boots off to possibly damage the ignition. just wondering.......

2. The "black box" that has the heatsink built onto it starts out with a fairly loud high-pitch whine then after about 10 secs. quiets down considerably but is still there buzzing away.....i'm assuming this is normal?.....Unless someone tells me differently.

Thanks.

If your on a tender, you should be fine all in all. I have done that too here when I was setting it up.

As to the buzzing, mine does that too. Its just the relay I believe, but its all normal. What KV rating did you get? If you saw mine, its pure white with just a hint of blue like 5000 or 6000 kv I believe. I LOVE IT! Best bang for the buck here so far......

Thanks.

sorry mike i thought i responded to #1 a while ago! i had the response all written wonder what happened to it.

anyways i've done the same thing quite a few times for troubleshooting or unintentionally!

Here's the update...sorry for the delay..........I've been busy. I should definately be a candidate for the Mod Monkey Award for Jan or Feb!!

As mentioned above the system functions. I'll have to get it out on the road this spring to access it thoroughly............

So the only problem I had was towards the end of the install when I realized the filement would not fit in the bezel. Missed too long by 1/4". :bang head: So out came the dremel and I cut out the back of the bezel. Seeing as there are two open holes back there for wiring I guess a third one is not that big of a deal. Plus I run a fairing so that helps keep most water away from that area too.

Below are some pics of the install and where I hid all those black boxes............

IMG_3916.jpg

I put the main pack above the ignitor on top of the rubber mat. Fits pretty snug.

IMG_3915.jpg
(pic won't work for some reason)

The heatsink looking unit fit nice piggy-backed on the v-boost module. Running the system for awhile the pack barely got warm to the touch.

IMG_3924.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

Pics of the hack job.

We'll see how well and especially how 'long' the system works. Only time will tell.

IMG_3918-1.jpg

I'm not sure what hue rating I bought. Pretty sure it's 6K.

I used a 5-3/4 inch cut ice motorcycle headlamp and fitted to the stock housing. Yes you will have to cut the back of the stock housing to fit the bulb. I used a 55 watt HID 4300K H4 bulb. I have flatslides on the bike, so have room for mounting the ballast and relay under the fux tank cover.

Marcus

Attachments

• 0209112222.jpg
    0209112222.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 0209112224.jpg
    0209112224.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 31
I'm surely glad that I didnt have to hack mine up. All fit in perfectly! Looks great, works awesome!!!

Back