Highway Speeds??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than my butt starting to hurt after about 60 miles, having the Hellfire windshield means I can carry on at any speed all day long - I've ridden a good hour and a half at 85-125mph without any problems more than once. You can even keep your helmet shield open if it's hot.
I highly recommend it if you ever wanna do some distance on Max.

OK, kinda off topic a wheee bit.... is it ok to maintain a sustained high speed (which translates into a higher RPM) on the Max?

For exmaple. If I'm cruising down the highway at 150+km/h I'm running at about 6k rpm. Am I going to damage anything sustaining that speed for say an hour? Granted there will be a few boosts in there too :)

OK, kinda off topic a wheee bit.... is it ok to maintain a sustained high speed (which translates into a higher RPM) on the Max?

For exmaple. If I'm cruising down the highway at 150+km/h I'm running at about 6k rpm. Am I going to damage anything sustaining that speed for say an hour? Granted there will be a few boosts in there too :)

as far as i know, nope. wouldn't hurt to back it down to 4k for a little bit tho. just make sure u have oil going thru at all times.

(perfect time to grab a COO oil pressure gauge).

I'd say you should be fine too - only difference is over years of use, you'd get more wear at 6k than at 4k.

But then that's true for any motor, right? Thas why racing motors last a few hours, and diesel bus engines run forever..

Running at 6k all the time might take it's toll in the extreme long run, but I really wouldn't worry much about it. My 500cc Magna V4 ran between 6500-7000(75-85mph) RPM for hours at a time- it redlined at 11,500, and I sent it past 13 more than once because I'm an ass-hat and wanted to see if I could do 55 in first gear, or was too excited that my 500cc was whooping a H-D with 3x the displacement and I forgot to shift.

Granted, I only rode about 9k miles on it but it never gave me a lick of trouble.

Look at it this way...most American stock V8's will spin to 4500-5000 RPM and then blow(older ones), or bounce off a rev limiter(new idiotproof ones). Cruising on the highway my old Ford 351 truck would spin about 2200 RPM at 75mph, or about 50% of it's maximum engine speed. My newer Ford 5.4 truck only spins at about 2100, and hits a rev limiter at 5200. My work has a Chevy 2500HD 6.0, and that spins about 2600 to only do 70, it's got super tall axles. Though I've pegged it's RPM gauge at 6k accelerating in drive...sounded like it was about to explode. Sports cars with high gearing and high-revving motors excepted, most cars run between 40-50% of maximum engine speed to do highway speed.

The Vmax spins to 9500, and a highway cruise at 80mph for me(with venture drive) is about 4500 RPM. Not even 50% of maximum speed, and car engines these days easily see 200k miles. That 351 had 145k on the clock and still ran like new. Not to mention the Vmax motor is so underworked just cruising along. The stupid 4 cylinder SUV's and minivans are WOT going up any sort of highway grade, and usually have to downshift.

Latest posts

Back