Hot no start, charging/battery issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmailley

Reaction score
I've seen some of the posts on starter/hot start issues. Here's what I'm experiencing;
  • Hot starting got worse. Won't crank at all now when hot.
  • Battery place checked the battery and the charging system. Battery @ 13 not running, same @ idle and high 12's at 3500 rpm's.
Battery guy says probably a combo of bad battery and stator is going or bad. Thank God I went to a place that had a guy that worked 15 years for a Harley dealership. He loved my bike by the way.

I haven't checked anything yet but am going to this week. Where's a good place to start? I don't have alot of $$$ to spend on this so I'll need to do this in the right order to make sure I'm checking eveything and not overspending.

Also, I see you guys are getting 100+ miles per tankful of gas. My low light goes on @ 79-82 miles. I haven't pushed it to see how far I can go after that. I've leaned it out to just over 1 turn out (extremely lean by what I read here) and still I am getting a very strong exhaust and low mileage. I changed the valve cover gaskets and cleaned out the carbs after they had been soaked with oil. Oil had also gotten into the intakes and I cleaned them as best I could then ran crab and throttle cleaner through 4 tanks of gas. After running the cleaner I pulled the carbs/intakes again and there is still some oil in the intakes but not much. Thoughts? Fixes?

I've seen some of the posts on starter/hot start issues. Here's what I'm experiencing;
  • Hot starting got worse. Won't crank at all now when hot.
  • Battery place checked the battery and the charging system. Battery @ 13 not running, same @ idle and high 12's at 3500 rpm's.
Battery guy says probably a combo of bad battery and stator is going or bad. Thank God I went to a place that had a guy that worked 15 years for a Harley dealership. He loved my bike by the way.

I haven't checked anything yet but am going to this week. Where's a good place to start? I don't have alot of $$$ to spend on this so I'll need to do this in the right order to make sure I'm checking eveything and not overspending.

Also, I see you guys are getting 100+ miles per tankful of gas. My low light goes on @ 79-82 miles. I haven't pushed it to see how far I can go after that. I've leaned it out to just over 1 turn out (extremely lean by what I read here) and still I am getting a very strong exhaust and low mileage. I changed the valve cover gaskets and cleaned out the carbs after they had been soaked with oil. Oil had also gotten into the intakes and I cleaned them as best I could then ran crab and throttle cleaner through 4 tanks of gas. After running the cleaner I pulled the carbs/intakes again and there is still some oil in the intakes but not much. Thoughts? Fixes?

You should see no less than 13.5V and prefferably more like 14.5V while reving the motor a little bit. Sounds like you need the "crimp fix" and prob a look at your R/R situation.

This is a very inexpensive fix pending your stator, RR and battery is ok. Most of the charging issues are poor connections including ground wires corroded, make sure ground cable is clean where it connects to engine. Make sure you have a battery with adequate CCA. If you follow the thread to the T and get your voltage up to at least 14+ you will have a much better running and quicker starting bike.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=18834

OK men, here's the results. I did the second fix from Dman.
First I charged the battery since it was low and hadn't been running for about a week and was reading 12.6.

Then I started the fix. Ran the tests replaced both the red R/R wire and the black ground and eliminated the connector fro the stator wires. I have a 93 with the shunt R/R. Then I did the volt test on the 3 stator wires with the bike not running. I got 11.8 volts on all 3 wires and combo's. The fix says they got 20 volts AC. I am also still getting a small drop in charging when I rev to 2500-3000, from low 14 @ idle to 13.8 or 9 @ rev.

I took a ride and got the bike fully hot. When I got home I shut the bike off. It started right up with virtually no slow or sluggish start but I am still concerned with the low volt readings. I guess my next step would be to replace the R/R. Could the stator be going/gone bad as well with the low volt readings?

Battery Tender Jr.

The other thing is I see some of you use a charger when your bike is not in use. With winter setting in here in S. Oregon I will not be riding as much so I am considereing this charger. Looks like it comes with all the connectors to make it easy. Anything I shopuld know before doing this?

Re: Battery Tender Jr.

The other thing is I see some of you use a charger when your bike is not in use. With winter setting in here in S. Oregon I will not be riding as much so I am considereing this charger. Looks like it comes with all the connectors to make it easy. Anything I shopuld know before doing this?

If you have more than 1 bike, riding lawnmower , etc . , you can get one with 1 , 2 or 4 output capability .

Then I did the volt test on the 3 stator wires with the bike not running. I got 11.8 volts on all 3 wires and combo's. The fix says they got 20 volts AC. QUOTE]

Something about that statement doesn't sound quite right. I don't know how the stator can produce AC voltage if the bike is not running.....

Latest posts

Back