How do I remove the VMax emblem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score

Q: How are the emblems on the faux tank and the side panels attached?

A: They are attached with double-sided tape. They can be removed with a hair drier and fishing line followed with a mild solvent to remove the rest of the paint residue.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, not to dig up and old thread, but i did this, but whats the best way to put them back on? What type of tape do you use, and do you use an exacto knife to cut it out?

thanks in advance guys.

I used silicone sealant. Working good so far. Just don't use too much.

I used silicone sealant. Working good so far. Just don't use too much.

Correct me if I am wrong. Isnt silicone a sealant and not an adhesive? I would think one would want to use an adhasive rather than blowing them off at the next motorcycle wash.

You said to correct you if you are wrong, so here goes.

If you look at the friction coefficient of a silicone sealant, you would be very surprised with what you would find. Now with that being said, if you compare the thickness of the sealant in relation to the friction coefficient, you will notice that there is a exponential decrease of the friction/bonding properties due to the very weak tensile strength of the silicone. When the thermal properties are taken into account you will find that silicone will actually create a stronger bond due to the flexibility and elasticity of the covalent bonds in the outer electrons of the molecule. By adding additional heat to the sealant you will find that blubber will actually be created and your machine that has this sealant on it will actually fly.

Sorry have no clue on what I just wrote, but it sounded pretty cool. Lankee, I think you are probably correct on what you said, but the sealant would have to have some bonding capabilities in order for it to seal. I sure wouldn't trust it to a pressure washer!

Just use the 3M double sided tape and you won't have any problems.

You said to correct you if you are wrong, so here goes.

If you look at the friction coefficient of a silicone sealant, you would be very surprised with what you would find. Now with that being said, if you compare the thickness of the sealant in relation to the friction coefficient, you will notice that there is a exponential decrease of the friction/bonding properties due to the very weak tensile strength of the silicone. When the thermal properties are taken into account you will find that silicone will actually create a stronger bond due to the flexibility and elasticity of the covalent bonds in the outer electrons of the molecule. By adding additional heat to the sealant you will find that blubber will actually be created and your machine that has this sealant on it will actually fly.

Sorry have no clue on what I just wrote, but it sounded pretty cool. Lankee, I think you are probably correct on what you said, but the sealant would have to have some bonding capabilities in order for it to seal. I sure wouldn't trust it to a pressure washer!

Just use the 3M double sided tape and you won't have any problems.

u almost had me going. hahah... i like the 3m doublestick idea the best. i guess you could get the adhesive silicon/caulk combo?

I got one off from the side panel and put it on the false tank. I used silicone and it hasn't budged in two seasons.

I have a very expensive paint job and wanted to be sure I could remove the emblems without damage if needed. The silicone works fine and have not lost the emblems yet. I suppose they could be knocked off but if so, I will just get another....

I used automotive emblem adhesive to attach mine and had no issues. Of course the bastards were damn near impossible to remove again once the glue dried. Use fishing line to "cut" them off and then Varsol to remove residue.

i got some black silicone adhesive. going to try that out... damn that shit was expensive! like $1.50 more a tube instead of clear or white!

black silicone seems like it worked great.. now to wait a month or so to try it at speed...

I am surprised that one of you ol' body shop pros have not chimed in with the "right" answer. Here is how it is done on Overhaulin and Pimp My Ride. Get some of your favorite flavor dental floss and cut about a foot or foot and a half length. Tie two loops on each end large enough to slide your gloved fingers through the loops. Slip the floss under one end of the emblem and start sawing up and down while pulling the string from one end of the emblem to the other. You will still leave some adhesive or tape on the paint but that comes off easy with reducer or solvent like "Goof Off" or even WD-40.:punk: Wish I could take credit for the idea.:worthy:

I have used a sealant called The Right Stuff (made by Permatex) as an adhesive many times. I've never used it on emblems, but it would probably work well. That stuff is some of the best RTV type sealant I've ever used.:worthy:

I am surprised that one of you ol' body shop pros have not chimed in with the "right" answer. Here is how it is done on Overhaulin and Pimp My Ride. Get some of your favorite flavor dental floss and cut about a foot or foot and a half length. Tie two loops on each end large enough to slide your gloved fingers through the loops. Slip the floss under one end of the emblem and start sawing up and down while pulling the string from one end of the emblem to the other. You will still leave some adhesive or tape on the paint but that comes off easy with reducer or solvent like "Goof Off" or even WD-40.:punk: Wish I could take credit for the idea.:worthy:

I use 10lb test fishing line... Works the bee's knees when debadging. :eusa_dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back