How many 85's r out there??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My god it was so far ahead of it's time!! ( stock ) Long live that beloved brute we call a max, none like it befor, few like it since.

Yup, it was. Hope they will revise the 09 to the same conclusion!

My 85 is rat rough but always puts a smile on my face when I unleash the ponies....

I just bought my '85 about a month ago, from a collector who had to sell off many of his bikes. Only had 15,240 original miles on it! I've already run it up to over 16,500. I just can't seem to NOT ride it. What a kick in the butt! I also have a '94 Honda Magna with over 90,000 miles on it, and I thought it was pretty darn quick until I twisted the throttle on the Max. Not even close!

On cars it is supposed to be yearly. Not sure on the requirements for bikes.

Sean

Here is my Koso RX-1 Electronic speedo pics for all you interested. Actually does a lot of things including quarter mile timing! Cool huh!
I suppose I could make a housing that better fits the airbox cover. It is somewhat complicated to use and navigate until you start using it a lot. Does everything the stock instrument panel does. I ahve yet to hook up my temp and fuel level connections. I will try to answer any questions you might have. PatMax. I have two 1985s and one 1990. Opps, I forgot to turn on the ignition so you could see the blue lights and LCD. If anyone wants to see it, PM me.

Last edited:
Hey MTN, that IS pretty early especially with the number starting at 00000101 so that makes you 268th? I think California got the first models. I would love to be able to document the 85s. As S:punk:ean said, they were popular and they made plenty but how many survive right?

Here is my Koso RX-1 Electronic speedo pics for all you interested. Actually does a lot of things including quarter mile timing! Cool huh!
I suppose I could make a housing that better fits the airbox cover. It is somewhat complicated to use and navigate until you start using it a lot. Does everything the stock instrument panel does. I ahve yet to hook up my temp and fuel level connections. I will try to answer any questions you might have. PatMax. I have two 1985s and one 1990. Opps, I forgot to turn on the ignition so you could see the blue lights and LCD. If anyone wants to see it, PM me.

very trick!

Okay, now I'm jealous! :damn angry:

we picked up a 85 max for my girlfriend last year. had about 5K on the miles. been sitting for over 12 years. original maroon paint, not in too bad shape, pipes were in pretty bad shape but for the most part bike was in really good shape for the age and sitting for so long.
after a little work getting it painted and some stuff powder-coated, new pipes and shocks, it looks pretty sharp.
later
Michael

I know this is an old thread, but here is my 85 with less than 15K mile. I would rate it an 8 out of 10. It is #388 :biglaugh:

Attachments

• DSC02886.jpg
    DSC02886.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC02888.jpg
    DSC02888.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 34
I know this is an old thread, but here is my 85 with less than 15K mile. I would rate it an 8 out of 10. It is #388 :biglaugh:

Sweet!

naughtyG: The 85's had raised white letter tires. Some were Dunlop Qualifiers and others were Bridgestone Exedra's.

Damn, reading this thread got me curious because I'd never really paid attention to the build sequence on mine. So I just went out to the garage and looked and I've got #258. I was kinda relieved to see it wasn't #101, because I'da had to shit my pants then. :biglaugh:

Well, glad this thread got a bump. Learned alot, namely that my 85 with the 1139 vin isn't that early:tantrum:

But, it's still cool and fast:banana::banana:
24,xxx and counting miles, 3rd owner, 6 out of 10 on the like new scale.
But I likey, and it was inexpensive:punk:
I will say, like many of those on here, I remember when the max came out (high school grad at that time) and always thought "gotta get one of those"
I did, 25 yrs later :rofl_200:

Iv got two 1985's. Ones tricked out , other stock. They both share plates registration and insurance.. :biglaugh:

Damn Mopure, you got an early model there. I never gave much thought to build dates but when I bought my second 85 in Tenn as a basketcase and the seller said it was one of the very first imported. I had to go home to research it but the boast was bogus. I am still interested in a "85" registry for bikes that are still alive or intact. I am betting tons are totalled, parted out, and junk yarded. I don't suppose anyone would be opposed to posting their last six VIN numbers. Hey Buster, any chance you can make this happen? Maybe an 85 photo gallery? I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Patmax

I got one....
Sp, who's finally gonna nominate me for the "Highest Mileage on a VMax" award, or do I have to do it myself???:hmmm:

119,800 and counting!

I nominate Bill for the Highest Mileage On A VMax" award. Absolutely amazing, Bill!! :worthy:

I bought my maroon '85 on Apr 30, 1985, in Dalton, Ga. Still have an original '85 brochure.

** VIN # 000167
** I paid $4,500 + tax + license, no set up fee or transportation costs. I can't remember if the list price was $5,199 or $5,299. ?
** 51,000 miles
** Maintenance: motor never opened up, of course! Only the carbs cleaned and synced, new front fork seals, new stock muffler, plus tires, brakes, oil and filters, etc.
** Modifications: factory engine guards and combination highway pegs and a manual fan switch.

It uses no oil and is very clean, better than 8 out of 10.

A recent spring ride near Republic, WA:

IMG_2801.jpg

NORM , new holder of oldest Vmax! Number 66 off the assembly line!
Any others with a lower VIN!

Back