How many people are actualy thinking about buying a new Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I will be buying one. I will put my VMAX up for sale at the end of the summer Aug. I cant wait to have more horsepower and be able to ride with my sportbike buddies on back roads again.
Most of all I hope I can run with some big bore sportbikes on the top end.
I am ready to get rid of this outdated style motorcycle. Its about time after 24 yrs.
Reliabilty will be a plus of a new bike. Best of all if I blow a rod bearing I can take it back to the dealer and have em fix it rather than wrenching. Tired of fixing I want to ride.

Yes I will be buying one. I will put my VMAX up for sale at the end of the summer Aug. I cant wait to have more horsepower and be able to ride with my sportbike buddies on back roads again.
Most of all I hope I can run with some big bore sportbikes on the top end.
I am ready to get rid of this outdated style motorcycle. Its about time after 24 yrs.
Reliabilty will be a plus of a new bike. Best of all if I blow a rod bearing I can take it back to the dealer and have em fix it rather than wrenching. Tired of fixing I want to ride.

althought itll probably take them 6 warm months to fix it

If the announcement comes on the 4th, I doubt you'll be able to walk into a dealer and pick one up that day. Unless the Yamaha dealers have them sitting in crates in their stock already.
How long do you think it will take for all the dealers to get at least one or two ready to go?
I'm guessing October!
And I think the reason why they have been stretching out the release is so they can associate this with a 25 year anniversary of the VMax. But that's just my guess.

I would love to have one but I'm not willing to go into debt for a new one.

I'd love a new one but I am getting older and looking to settle down a bit. I'd like to get into some road racing with cars soon. We'll see.

I will wait for the new model to get seasoned, the dealers to get seasoned, and maybe some of the quirks worked out of it. In 2-3 years the fervor will die down and prices will come down, I hope. Too many other prorities right now to think about it anyway.

I'm was seriously considering going more into dept over it today. The pictures from MCN got me hooked even more, and I can't control the drooling now.
:drool::drool::drool:
But after reading about the variable cam shaft timing, I'm kinda leaning on waiting a year or two now, to see what kind of issues arise from it.
Unless this has been done before on other bikes?

I already have the down payment ready to go. The best part is that I have been talking about it for long enough that my wife isn't even going to kill me when I ride it home.

"If you build it, I will come."

I'm was seriously considering going more into dept over it today. The pictures from MCN got me hooked even more, and I can't control the drooling now.
:drool::drool::drool:
But after reading about the variable cam shaft timing, I'm kinda leaning on waiting a year or two now, to see what kind of issues arise from it.
Unless this has been done before on other bikes?

Yamaha INVENTED variable valve timing with the YPVS (Yamaha Power Valve System) with the RZ350 in 1984. They pioneered it and I am sure this system will work well. May have bugs, may not. I am willing to bet it will be fine.

Mike

I will buy the new one when they are three years old so I can buy it with cash like I did my 05 :biglaugh: I don't like making payments on motorcycles so I buy the most I can afford used. Another thing is full coverage insurance is something I like to keep optional because my driving record may vary, even more so with the 214hp on the new max:punk: Zero to Felony speeding in seconds...

But if the new one looks like the pictures I might just have to sign a few years of my life away, sell my sportbike and current Vmax eat ramen noodles more often, forget about what is rational for me and hunt some busas!

Yamaha INVENTED variable valve timing with the YPVS (Yamaha Power Valve System) with the RZ350 in 1984. They pioneered it and I am sure this system will work well. May have bugs, may not. I am willing to bet it will be fine.

Mike

Dammit!!! :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: Back to Drooling!

Mike

Well that's not quit the same as Variable Valve Timing so I don't think Yamaha can lay claim to the invention of VVT.

"YPVS" stood for, Yamaha Power Valve System, and is now used in nearly all 2-stroke engine design. The system was designed to vary the exhaust port aperture, depending upon the revs of the engine. This meant that at low revs, the aperture would be reduced to increase the pressure through the exhaust port, and hence boost power, and when the engine was working at it's hardest, i.e. when the revs were high, the aperture would increase allowing the exhaust gas to flow more smoothly when expelled from the engine. The exhaust port aperture was varied by using a cylindrical, servo operated valve, sitting just above the exhaust port. This would rotate depending upon engine revs, and give the desired aperture.

VVT allows the lift or duration or timing (some or all) of the intake or exhaust valves (or both) to be changed while the engine is in operation. Two-stroke engines use a Power valve system to get similar results to VVT.

Well that's not quit the same as Variable Valve Timing so I don't think Yamaha can lay claim to the invention of VVT.

"YPVS" stood for, Yamaha Power Valve System, and is now used in nearly all 2-stroke engine design. The system was designed to vary the exhaust port aperture, depending upon the revs of the engine. This meant that at low revs, the aperture would be reduced to increase the pressure through the exhaust port, and hence boost power, and when the engine was working at it's hardest, i.e. when the revs were high, the aperture would increase allowing the exhaust gas to flow more smoothly when expelled from the engine. The exhaust port aperture was varied by using a cylindrical, servo operated valve, sitting just above the exhaust port. This would rotate depending upon engine revs, and give the desired aperture.

VVT allows the lift or duration or timing (some or all) of the intake or exhaust valves (or both) to be changed while the engine is in operation. Two-stroke engines use a Power valve system to get similar results to VVT.

I know what the YPVS did and I know what VVT is. While the YPVS rotated a cylindrical valve, my point was that this technology was pioneered by Yamaha. They are not new to the game, they invented the game....even if it was originally a two stroke application. The concepts are both similar and Yamaha has continuned to develop the technology.

Mike

I know what the YPVS did and I know what VVT is. While the YPVS rotated a cylindrical valve, my point was that this technology was pioneered by Yamaha. They are not new to the game, they invented the game....even if it was originally a two stroke application. The concepts are both similar and Yamaha has continuned to develop the technology.

Mike

My 98 Sea-Doo GTX limited 130hp 3 cylinder two stroke, engine by Rotax of Austria, had variable exhaust tracts....

And I agree they are totally different principles, one varies the size of the exhaust tracts, thereby allowing higher velocities thru the tract and better throttle repsonse at lower speeds and still aloow bigger tracts and more volume at higher RPMS

Variable valve timing allows a "radical" cam profile at high RPM and still allows for better throttle response and driveability at lower RPMS.

If you "locked in" one of these systems at it's WOT, high RPM setting it would barely even run at low RPMS.

I have no idea who invented the principle but it's been around on car for at least 15 years that I know of.......Toyota was doing it in the early 90's on thier high performance inline 6's and V8's in the Lexus SC300 and SC400 among others.....

Back