How many people are actualy thinking about buying a new Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what the YPVS did and I know what VVT is. While the YPVS rotated a cylindrical valve, my point was that this technology was pioneered by Yamaha. They are not new to the game, they invented the game....even if it was originally a two stroke application. The concepts are both similar and Yamaha has continuned to develop the technology.

Mike

Mike, Fiat was the first manufacturer to patent a functional variable valve timing system which included variable lift. Developed by Giovanni Torazza in the late 1960s,(US Patent 3,641,988).

Mike, Fiat was the first manufacturer to patent a functional variable valve timing system which included variable lift. Developed by Giovanni Torazza in the late 1960s,(US Patent 3,641,988).

Point taken. Of course, they didn't put that technology to work in a mass produced vehicle as Yamaha did.

If the announcement comes on the 4th, I doubt you'll be able to walk into a dealer and pick one up that day. Unless the Yamaha dealers have them sitting in crates in their stock already.
How long do you think it will take for all the dealers to get at least one or two ready to go?
I'm guessing October!
And I think the reason why they have been stretching out the release is so they can associate this with a 25 year anniversary of the VMax. But that's just my guess.

1985 + 25yrs = 2010

How is a 2009 model the 25th anniversary?

You have to count 1985.

85 1
86 2
87 3
88 4
89 5
90 6
91 7
92 8
93 9
94 10
95 11
96 12
97 13
98 14
99 15
00 16
01 17
02 18
03 19
04 20
05 21
06 22
07 23
08 24
09 25

Looking at the pictures again, I'm wondering how wide the bike is at the scoops. It looks wider there than an old gen Max. I know on the BKing, it has that issue, it feels too wide where the scoops are... have to wait until the dealership gets one in. I wonder if they will have one available on test ride days?

But but, they didn't make one in 2008? The 2005 being the 20th anniversary model might just make the 2010 model the 25th model year......yea/nay? :confused2:
Maybe we need a poll to let the masses have their say!

I wonder if they will have one available on test ride days?

I seriously doubt this bike will be allowed to be tested. Maybe if you have a friend at a dealership, but the masses? No way. Too fast, too dangerous and too easy to wreck.

Mike

I'm with KJ on the fact that my '00 is bought n' paid for.. and found in 'as new' low mileage condition.

I've looked at the pics and hype surrounding the new one with curiousity as what the new generation would be......frankly I ain't all that impressed with the 'style' of it.

Have y'all any idea how hard it was to find a HP bike that was carb'ed? I know they can be PIA, but with a lot of help from some great folks on here, I have learned much in what I need to keep them tuned... I HATE efi sytems, and all their bs that take computers and a whole lot of other factors to just start and run.... I'm on old school FOG that just doesn't get all that high tech shit, and have no wish to ever really learn it.

I'll be keeping the one I have...'till death do us part'...and then pass it on to someone else who will hopefully love it as much as I have.

For all those that will be paying a couple pounds of hundred dollar bills for that new one... bless your hearts, and best of luck...I'll be looking forward to hearing all about how great they are!

Philthy

I seriously doubt this bike will be allowed to be tested. Maybe if you have a friend at a dealership, but the masses? No way. Too fast, too dangerous and too easy to wreck.

Mike

Hard to say... I took out a Busa and a ZX-14 on test rides at an event that had most of the bike makers there.

I'm with KJ on the fact that my '00 is bought n' paid for.. and found in 'as new' low mileage condition.

I've looked at the pics and hype surrounding the new one with curiousity as what the new generation would be......frankly I ain't all that impressed with the 'style' of it.

Have y'all any idea how hard it was to find a HP bike that was carb'ed? I know they can be PIA, but with a lot of help from some great folks on here, I have learned much in what I need to keep them tuned... I HATE efi sytems, and all their bs that take computers and a whole lot of other factors to just start and run.... I'm on old school FOG that just doesn't get all that high tech shit, and have no wish to ever really learn it.

I'll be keeping the one I have...'till death do us part'...and then pass it on to someone else who will hopefully love it as much as I have.

For all those that will be paying a couple pounds of hundred dollar bills for that new one... bless your hearts, and best of luck...I'll be looking forward to hearing all about how great they are!

Philthy

I'm 44 so I have done carbs, mostly on cars, plenty. Just started screwing with EFI in the last ten years and all that has been on cars, mostly on my wifes supercharged 350Z. I took to it like a duck to water because the difference between making a pass, spendin an hour jacking with a carb as opposed to going straight to the staging lanes and plugging in a laptop, playing back the most recent runs datalog; and punching a few keys to correct a/f or timing when detonation showed up is insanely more simple. I LOVE EFI now!

I almost bought a V-max in 2002 but was concerned about the wobble, brakes, etc. that people complained about and I wanted to stick with fuel injection. (Even back then the dealer told me a new one was on the way.) I got a 2002 GSX-R1000 instead and it is a fantastic bike. It is a straight line hammer that handles and brakes well too. After 24,000 miles it is still the best machine of any type I have ever owned.

That being said, I really like the boulevard bad ass looks of the V-max including the new one. Modernized, this may be the bike I have always wanted. If it specs out right and the price is not outrageous, I really hope to own one in the next year or so. I wonder if there will be more than one color option or if they will stick with one layout per year?

Last edited:
But but, they didn't make one in 2008? The 2005 being the 20th anniversary model might just make the 2010 model the 25th model year......yea/nay? :confused2:
Maybe we need a poll to let the masses have their say!

Uhhh - yeah that's what I was thinking all along. :biglaugh:

Have they given you a confirmed delivery date?

No date. They give the same 'official' line and can't say anything until after the launch events. They did confirm with H.O. that they could deliver but not when they could deliver.

you know whats sad?

sad is realizing half way through your build, that your doing all this shit to your vmax to basically up date it to exactly what you will be able to buy in a short time....... maybe i should just put my max back together stock and fit that 240 tire to my 2009 vmax eh? stop fucking around RJ....slap slap slap...

Back