How many zeros in a billion?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxride06

Reaction score

This is too true to be funny.

The next time you hear a politician use the

word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about

whether you want the 'politicians' spending

YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend,

but one advertising agency did a good job of

putting that figure into some perspective in

one of it's releases.

A.

A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B.

A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C.

A billion hours ago our ancestors were

living in the Stone Age.

D.

A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E.

A billion dollars ago was only

8 hours and 20 minutes,

at the rate our government

is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain...

let's take a look at New Orleans ...

It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division.

Louisiana Senator,

Mary Landrieu (D)

is presently asking Congress for

250 BILLION DOLLARS

to rebuild New Orleans . Interesting number...

what does it mean?

A.

Well... if you are one of the 484,674 residents of New Orleans

(every man, woman, and child)

you each get $516,528.

B.

Or... if you have one of the 188,251 homes in

New Orleans , your home gets $1,329,787.

C.

Or... if you are a family of four,

your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington, D. C.

HELLO!

Are all your calculators broken??

Accounts Receivable Tax

Building Permit Tax

CDL License Tax

Cigarette Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Dog License Tax

Federal Income Tax

Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)

Fishing License Tax

Food License Tax

Fuel Permit Tax

Gasoline Tax

Gift Tax

Hunting License Tax

Inheritance Tax

Inventory Tax

IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)

IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)

Liquor Tax

Luxury Tax

Marriage License Tax

Medicare Tax

Property Tax

Real Estate Tax

Service charge taxes

Social Security Tax

Road Usage Tax (Truckers)

Recreational Vehicle Tax

Sales Tax

School Tax

State Income Tax

State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)

Telephone Federal Excise Tax

Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax

Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax

Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax Telephone State and Local Tax

Telephone Usage Charge Tax

Utility Tax

Vehicle License Registration Tax

Vehicle Sales Tax

Watercraft Registration Tax

Well Permit Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago...

and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.

We had absolutely no national debt...

We had the largest middle class in the world... and Mom stayed home to raise the kids .

What happened?

Can you spell 'politicians!'

And .. I still have to

press '1'

for English.

I hope this goes around the

U S A

at least a billion times!!!

Man, I was in a good mood till I read that. Now I'm all pissed off again. Totally agree with all this. I've been saying this since I got a real job and a house and "stuff". They get so much money in taxes it is ridiculous. I mean if I make x amount of money per year, I have to pay the federal gov't their percentage. So before I even see my paycheck, I'm losing like 14 percent of my money. Then, with the 86 percent left over I have to pay my property, local, school taxes. These taxes are paid with money I already had taxes taken out of. Then I go to the store and buy groceries, fuel, motorcycle parts, etc. and it is all taxed. WTF... I have no idea how to figure it out logically but to me it seems that for every dollar you make you are spending at least 50 cents on taxes. Unless you are putting it into a retirement account or tuition savings account where you can pay all kind of taxes on it later. YEAH!

Just saw a blurb for the local newscast. A new tax may come into effect that will be based on the mileage you drive/year. :confused2: Tune in at noon!

Just saw a blurb for the local newscast. A new tax may come into effect that will be based on the mileage you drive/year. :confused2: Tune in at noon!

Yeah cant wait for this one, I commute 400 miles a week. The working class is taking this whole CHANGE thing in the backside. Are they going to repeal all the federal and state Gas taxes then if this passes?

Well done! Unfortunately - you're preaching to the choir here. This post should somehow be sent out to every person in this country...

Ha! Taxes. Just wait. How do you think that we will pay for the trillions of dollars in corporate handouts being passed out like candy on Halloween? These times remind me of the person maxing out their credit cards, and opening up more accounts and maxing out those, just to support an artificial lifestyle.

People said Rome would never fall either. It's only a matter of time.
your right dirty and it all comes down to greed...voting and passing bills and laws to advance the wealth of a chosen few time after time after time

We seem to all agree that America is heading down a path of financial destruction but what can we do about it? Most of us are too busy making ends meet to take the time to complain to our congressmen and get a change in policy. Like that would work anyway! This is a freight train going downhill, gaining momentum. Very difficult to slow down, let alone stop.

We seem to all agree that America is heading down a path of financial destruction but what can we do about it? Most of us are too busy making ends meet to take the time to complain to our congressmen and get a change in policy. Like that would work anyway! This is a freight train going downhill, gaining momentum. Very difficult to slow down, let alone stop.

Total and complete misery to all would be a good start. This country really hasn't seen hard times since the great depression. These are a lot of the same folks that were fighting WWII that I was writing about somewhere on here about a week ago. They had it hard and once they made it through all that, I guess things weren't taken for granted as much as if it was given away in the name of hope and change. We are not united as a country like we were (more so) back then. People's ideology is either far left or far right or just stupid and uninformed(like a liberal but worse). I personally do not want to see it come to this but I have a feeling it's coming sooner or later. Take it for what it's worth.

Yeah cant wait for this one, I commute 400 miles a week. The working class is taking this whole CHANGE thing in the backside. Are they going to repeal all the federal and state Gas taxes then if this passes?

From the article I read....Yes the state and Federal gas taxes will go away and be replaced with the mileage tax. This is in direct response to Hybrids and soon to be electric vehicles, if you arent buring as much fuel then they cant collect the money they need for infrastructure maintenance.

On top of that when gas prices get really high for the most part people cut back on their driving. Plus bigger vehicles will more than likely have a higher tax on them.

Just my prediction but I dont see this happening any time soon. It was a suggestion from the Sec of Commerce for the administration to look at. Honestly I dont see this happening in Obama's first term at all. Once he gets this shitty mess of an economy under control (good luck) he has Afghanistan and Iraq to deal with. Then China, next Turkey trying to kill off the Kurds. With Hilary as the Sec of State that is going to be a total fucking mess.

If it does get passed soon it will be hidden/buried in a bill that no one will know about. Also think about the enforcement side of things. How are they going to track every single Americans mileage accurately. I can only see two ways.
1. Every time you get you car registered, someone from the DMV looks at your odometer and reports it. This is too easy to defeat :hmmm:
2. A GPS transmitter that reports it for you and either you pay at the pump when it up loads to a station or they bill you. I would love to see them put GPS on our bikes, YEAH RIGHT

Cheers

Total and complete misery to all would be a good start. This country really hasn't seen hard times since the great depression. These are a lot of the same folks that were fighting WWII that I was writing about somewhere on here about a week ago. They had it hard and once they made it through all that, I guess things weren't taken for granted as much as if it was given away in the name of hope and change. We are not united as a country like we were (more so) back then. People's ideology is either far left or far right or just stupid and uninformed(like a liberal but worse). I personally do not want to see it come to this but I have a feeling it's coming sooner or later. Take it for what it's worth.

Well said, Dirty.

From the article I read....Yes the state and Federal gas taxes will go away and be replaced with the mileage tax. This is in direct response to Hybrids and soon to be electric vehicles, if you arent buring as much fuel then they cant collect the money they need for infrastructure maintenance.

See, that's starting to piss me off now. I drive the most efficient production hybrid on the planet. I give up alot to drive it: like comfort, power and did I mention comfort? I bought it to save money and help the environment, but mostly to save money. I don't feel like giving money back to the government because I'm not buying as much gas as I used to. Screw that! People who choose to drive these slow-moving underpowered tin cans ought to be rewarded, not penalized. Let's hope the government doesn't try to pass that law. I will be forced to find a way around it. They need to figure out another way to get more tax money.

That's one main reason why I bought the Vmax; I have to make up for the slow-ass car I drive all week with something that will burn rubber on the weekend!

World's goin' to hell.

Buy ammo.

+1, Also, get (or clean & oil if you already have) a large capacity rapid fire long gun, a military assault rifle works well, and a large caliber, 'close in' weapon like a .45 auto.
Pick up a couple thousand rounds of assault rifle ammo and enough re-loading supplies for a couple thousand pistol rounds.

This may not make a bit of difference in the final analysis......but it'll make you feel a lot better now!!

If it does get passed soon it will be hidden/buried in a bill that no one will know about. Also think about the enforcement side of things. How are they going to track every single Americans mileage accurately. I can only see two ways.
1. Every time you get you car registered, someone from the DMV looks at your odometer and reports it. This is too easy to defeat :hmmm:
2. A GPS transmitter that reports it for you and either you pay at the pump when it up loads to a station or they bill you. I would love to see them put GPS on our bikes, YEAH RIGHT

Cheers

I am not sure how many auto techs are out there, but when I was turning wrenches the talk was about OBD III, where an on-board computer and GPS would track EVERYTHING that the car does and goes. On the road diagnostics, miles, maintanence, location, speed etc. tracked through satellites and on-board computers. Obama already said that this tax was discussed and they have decided to shelve it (for now I suppose).

Bumping an old thread..

1.) Lending money - at a TEMPORARY low rate to people who can't withstand even a sinlgle intrest point spike to buy the...

2.) Homes that they don't own - nor can they afford - on the basis that the homes value will continue to increase forever. Parked in the driveways of the homes they can't afford are...

3.) Vehicles. Big and small. Recent trends leaning towards a large gass guzzling 4x4 SUV used to commute very small distances over perfect paved highway. Owned by people who can't afford a significant gas increase - WHICH IS INCREASING ALL THE TIME, or the decrease in their homes value, or the spike of one single intrest point. They will go to ikea and buy...

4.) Furniture for their home, using credit card and loans, to fill a house that they cannot afford.

DO the math. A population. A generation of Americans who own nothing at all.

It's very easy to break a mans spirit when you can take away everything in his possession at the whim of a single intrest point.

Persoanl liberties have been disapearing faster than you can shake a stick at them.

But if you think for a second that your government wasn't 100% aware that this was happening - you need to wake up.

What did the government do as a result of the crisis? Rewarded the banks on teh backs of the devestated man and women suffering the most.
________
Toyota KR engine

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread..

1.) Lending money - at a TEMPORARY low rate to people who can't withstand even a sinlgle intrest point spike to buy the...

2.) Homes that they don't own - nor can they afford - on the basis that the homes value will continue to increase forever. Parked in the driveways of the homes they can't afford are...

3.) Vehicles. Big and small. Recent trends leaning towards a large gass guzzling 4x4 SUV used to commute very small distances over perfect paved highway. Owned by people who can't afford a significant gas increase - WHICH IS INCREASING ALL THE TIME, or the decrease in their homes value, or the spike of one single intrest point. They will go to ikea and buy...

4.) Furniture for their home, using credit card and loans, to fill a house that they cannot afford.

DO the math. A population. A generation of Americans who own nothing at all.

It's very easy to break a mans spirit when you can take away everything in his possession at the whim of a single intrest point.

Persoanl liberties have been disapearing faster than you can shake a stick at them.

But if you think for a second that your government wasn't 100% aware that this was happening - you need to wake up.

What did the government do as a result of the crisis? Rewarded the banks on teh backs of the devestated man and women suffering the most.

We gots a Canadian here that understands the situation better than MOST Americans....:confused2:

We gots a Canadian here that understands the situation better than MOST Americans....:confused2:

Yep... true and too unfortunate. Someone asked earlier what we can do about it. I'm afraid at this point it's probably too late to do anything. But, a Million Armed Taxpayers March would probably get DC's attention ya think?

Back