how much seafoam for winter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much seafoam do yall put in a full tank for winter storage?

Never heard of using Seafoam for fuel storage. I always thought it was a fuel treatment:ummm: I've used Stabil and follow the directions. It's worked well for my bikes, lawnmower, etc. However, for the machine to run "best" it must be burned out or drained off IMO

Seafoam works in place of Stabil. Here's a short blip from an expert who's a chemical engineer.

The Honda stabil and other fuel stabilizers work sufficiently to retard fuel evaporation and decomposition. However they do not contain any cleaners. If you only use them for off season fuel treatment, they will work fine. Using valid fuel cleaners with some regularity is more important than off season storage in my book, since a clean system provides far less trouble than anything else.

Seafoam is also a good cleaner to use as is Regain, Wynn's Powercharge, Techron Fuel System cleaner, which all provide decent cleaning. As you may guess I do prefer BG Products line of fuel supplements like Supercharge and the like. BG Supercharge is a light dose, but good fuel system cleaner for "keep clean" use and also provides excellent fuel storage. It has about twice the potential for fuel stabilization as compared to Stabil branded additives. Supercharge contains anti-oxidants (stabilizers) plus a light dose of polyether amine cleaner. Also, BG44K can't be beat for potency when it comes to strong polyether amine fuel system cleaners. Other branded PEA cleaners often are 25-75% less potent than BG makes.

Personally I would discontinue the use of the Lucas Upper Cylinder stuff. Essentially the product is metals free (ashless) and appears to be a light mineral oil. [SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]The product may function well as an upper cylinder lubricant, but based on the observed chemistry, may not function well as an injector cleaner. It appears to be identical to a simple base oil...like that found in motor oil...only without any additives. In our industry "upper cylinder lubricants" have no validated function and do not provide a pronounced benefit. They provide a perceived benefit true...but upper cylinder lubrication is accomplished by the resident motor oil film, so that nothing else really needs to be added to the fuel side of the cylinder beyond what the engine oil already does. However I am aware of the tremendous following that Lucas has and the many myths that surround their products...so don't feel bad that you use the stuff. By and large though...Lucas brand products tend to be very weak and do not compare to the quality of other major brands. In my personal opinion they are a lot more hype than help.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]I hope this info is what you wanted to know.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Best wishes,[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Michael[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Seafoam works in place of Stabil. Here's a short blip from an expert who's a chemical engineer.

The Honda stabil and other fuel stabilizers work sufficiently to retard fuel evaporation and decomposition. However they do not contain any cleaners. If you only use them for off season fuel treatment, they will work fine. Using valid fuel cleaners with some regularity is more important than off season storage in my book, since a clean system provides far less trouble than anything else.

Seafoam is also a good cleaner to use as is Regain, Wynn's Powercharge, Techron Fuel System cleaner, which all provide decent cleaning. As you may guess I do prefer BG Products line of fuel supplements like Supercharge and the like. BG Supercharge is a light dose, but good fuel system cleaner for "keep clean" use and also provides excellent fuel storage. It has about twice the potential for fuel stabilization as compared to Stabil branded additives. Supercharge contains anti-oxidants (stabilizers) plus a light dose of polyether amine cleaner. Also, BG44K can't be beat for potency when it comes to strong polyether amine fuel system cleaners. Other branded PEA cleaners often are 25-75% less potent than BG makes.

Personally I would discontinue the use of the Lucas Upper Cylinder stuff. Essentially the product is metals free (ashless) and appears to be a light mineral oil. [SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]The product may function well as an upper cylinder lubricant, but based on the observed chemistry, may not function well as an injector cleaner. It appears to be identical to a simple base oil...like that found in motor oil...only without any additives. In our industry "upper cylinder lubricants" have no validated function and do not provide a pronounced benefit. They provide a perceived benefit true...but upper cylinder lubrication is accomplished by the resident motor oil film, so that nothing else really needs to be added to the fuel side of the cylinder beyond what the engine oil already does. However I am aware of the tremendous following that Lucas has and the many myths that surround their products...so don't feel bad that you use the stuff. By and large though...Lucas brand products tend to be very weak and do not compare to the quality of other major brands. In my personal opinion they are a lot more hype than help.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]I hope this info is what you wanted to know.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Best wishes,[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Michael[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Thanks man, seriously for you! Now on with................... I know or hope that some people on the net are not full of sh!t:whistlin:

FWIW..... Chevron Techron is a good cleaner:thumbs up:

Happy Holidays,
Clay

Maybe I need to switch my routine :)

Get this, You are so right Chris! 35 days and still waiting on frame sliders from COO. It's amazing they take the cash up front and you get the product so much more later. I've had parts chrome plated in much less time. Not good business IMO!

Maybe I need to switch my routine :)

Get this, You are so right Chris! 35 days and still waiting on frame sliders from COO. It's amazing they take the cash up front and you get the product so much more later. I've had parts chrome plated in much less time. Not good business IMO!

Uh huh...:whistlin: Hence my comment on the VMF inks to it...:thumbs up: It's total B.S.

At least it isn't something important! I'm amazed that people get away with that level of service!!!

:whistlin::whistlin::whistlin::whistlin::whistlin::whistlin:

Mark M. Pmed me an answer so I guess I will not let this hijacking get to me. :smoke000:

:whistlin::whistlin::whistlin::whistlin::whistlin::whistlin:

Mark M. Pmed me an answer so I guess I will not let this hijacking get to me. :smoke000:

Cry me a river...

4 ounces always did it for me...:whistlin:

Of course I can read the can though...:whistlin:
:rofl_200::rofl_200:

LMAO! Even a newbie like myself knew your Vmax/SV lovin ass lived in far middle east Iowa :)

Lets pray to the weather metal gods that NO Snow or Ice will come our way in a bad way this winter season!

LMAO! Even a newbie like myself knew your Vmax/SV lovin ass lived in far middle east Iowa :)

Lets pray to the weather metal gods that NO Snow or Ice will come our way in a bad way this winter season!

Oh well I didn't say WE didn't have snow...:whistlin:

We got an inch a few days ago and more to come tonight...

My view on snow is that I hate it, but it's the lesser of two evils. Snow or dead everything to look at... Snow wins... Well at least until the middle of February and then I'm all for good weather!:thumbs up:

NOW THAT'S A HIJACK! :banana:

Back