How to: Change tires with zip ties

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
This is a copy from a thread on customfighters.com, written by DrAwKwArD

Thought it was pretty cool and I'd never heard of it here. Not sure if non-members can view the threads, so I've copied it all here.

I know I've done this thread before, but this is a MUCH better write up so I thought I'd share it here too.

Ok guys, I needed to do the rear on the CBR and since I'm a cheap bastard I like to do tire changes myself. This rear took me all of 15 minutes to do not including balancing, which took an extra 5 minutes.

DISMOUNT:

To break the bead all one needs is a long piece of 2x4 and a short piece of 2x4 and a point to lever the long piece off of...I use the bumper of my van as it's far enough off the ground to facilitate this. Step on the opposite side of the wood and push down with a little bit of force...and boom...bead is broken.

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_1" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">
</td><td class="td2">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
IMAG0227.jpg
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_1" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning2" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td2" align="right" width="100%">
</td><td class="td1">Report this image</td></tr></tbody></table>

To get the tire off I use these zip ties from Harbor Freight. One pack will do both dismount and mount for only $1.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...ack-66487.html

Fish them through the bead like so...once through to the other side ou may need some needle nose pliers to get it out for the first couple, but after that they should all be really easy to fish through.

IMAG0216.jpg
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_2" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning2" width="612"><tbody><tr><td class="td2" align="right" width="100%">
</td><td class="td1">

IMAG0221.jpg
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_3" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning2" width="612"><tbody><tr><td class="td2" align="right" width="100%">
</td><td class="td1">

After the zip ties are all in place the tire will look like this:

IMAG0225.jpg
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_4" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning2" width="612"><tbody><tr><td class="td2" align="right" width="100%">
</td><td class="td1">

Just get some ass behind it and the tire will come off...dismount with NO TOOLS REQUIRED. If you don't have the hand/arm strength to pull the tire off like this (because admittedly it was a little tough) a large screw driver or small 5 dollar tire iron will make life a bit easier. But I want to stress how easy and possible it is to do this without tools.

<table class="tborder" style="margin:10px 0" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="400"> <thead> <tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align:center"> How to dismount motorcycle tire with zipties ... </td> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td class="panelsurround" align="center">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>​

MOUNT:

To mount the tire you basically do the opposite of the dismount...I know that's simplifying it a bit, but it's not much different. Since I used 6 zip ties to get the tire off I wanted to see if I could use only 4 zip ties to put the new tire on so I arranged them in a cross and proceeded to put the tire on. I think it is much easier to do with 5 zip ties because only 4 leaves gaps in certain places where the beads should be touching. And like I say, be liberal with the windex/soapy water because it DOES make a difference in how easy the tire slides on.

<table class="tborder" style="margin:10px 0" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="400"> <thead> <tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align:center"> How to mount motorcycle tire with zipties -... </td> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td class="panelsurround" align="center">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>​

EDIT: Total materials cost:

Zip ties - $1.99
2x4 - $1.97

Total - $3.96

Once the new tire is on, cut the zip ties and pull them out. To re-seat the bead, remove the core from the stem (to allow higher air flow), get your compressor at the highest pressure it can, and blast it, it'll seat the bead with a quick pop, then reinstall the core and air up. People also had success using the "redneck" method of spraying ether or whatever into the tire and lighting it, though that's definitely at your own discretion. If you use dynabeads also for balancing, you can completely skip the dealerships.

Lots of people have tried this and had pretty much universal success. When prying the tire off or on again, it's a good idea to put a couple 2x4s underneath the wheel so you're not torquing on the brake discs. The trick is ensuring the two beads are just touching, and over-tightening the zip ties can make it harder. Using too many zip ties can also make it harder than needed. 3 or 5 seems to be the magic number. Anything from windex to soapy water to KY has been effectively used as a lube. Some tires seem to be tougher/stiffer than others but it's nearly always possible without resorting to a spoon.

Slick!!! I'm gonna try it on my next tire, thanks RA :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

i'd be curious if it works as well on narrower rims, say like the vmax rims. i'd say 17" x5.5 sportbike rims/tires are the easiest tire changes even with a machine.

also make sure you're aligning the light mark on the tire to the heavy spot on the rim.

I just finished changing the front tire using the zip tie method. As you said, I did have to wrestle it a bit but once you get the hang of it it's simple. Now to road test the new pilot road 3. Excellent idea and good write up. It worked for me!

Yes but how do you ensure the wheel will be balanced? My rim has 4 stick on lead weights and Every time I change the tire they pry these off making a sticky mess and put new ones on in a different spot. What would the "light mark" look like on the rubber? Would you just put this side 180 degrees from the rim weights?(ie 'heavy' side of rim).

Should note that my rear rim is kosman modified (17x5.5") to accept a 180/55zr17. I have a new michelin pilot road 2 to mount

Yes but how do you ensure the wheel will be balanced? My rim has 4 stick on lead weights and Every time I change the tire they pry these off making a sticky mess and put new ones on in a different spot. What would the "light mark" look like on the rubber? Would you just put this side 180 degrees from the rim weights?(ie 'heavy' side of rim).

Should note that my rear rim is kosman modified (17x5.5") to accept a 180/55zr17. I have a new michelin pilot road 2 to mount

I do it the Redneck way, I use a lawnmower blade balancer and for weights I have some stick on weights from a ceiling fan balacing kit. Never had a problem yet with a tire shake/bounce from being out of balance. If you have chrome rims or black you might be able to spray paint the weight before sticking it on the rim.

You could use the dyna beads http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

Go here to introduce your self. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1873

once the old tire is off, pry of the weights and put it on a balancing stand to find the 'heavy spot'. then line the circle (light spot) of the tire on the found heavy spot.

it shouldnt' change either so once you get the heavy spot the first time u can just mark it or if its the valve stem remember that and your'e good to go.

harbor freight has an inexpensive balancing stand with coupons usually around $40 and it works well.

My buddy and I tried this on a Gold Wing.

What kind of tire is that guy mounting...some kind of thin balloon drag racing tire?

no way this will work for us.

Just used this method on a front tire for a 2000 ZX12 and it worked like a dream, cut the labor in half I bet! Thanks for the great idea!

I pay $5 bucks for removal an $10 for mount and balance.
Not worth it to me but if I was riding the Triumph Tiger of BMW dual purpose off the beaten path and needed to repair a tire, obviously I won't have new tire with me, this could save your bacon!

That's a great price. I'm only paying $30 wheels off the bike, but at main stream shops it's $50-75 PER wheel. Especially if I didn't buy the tires there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

$40 per tire change off of the bike around here plus it seems nobody stocks the tire size I need in the brand I want so I just bought a change and balance kit off of eBay for $40 and its already paid for itself many times over..

My local shop doesn't care if I bring my own rubber or buy through them- Same price. I get rid of my own worn rubber at work. While at Daytona I saw the "No Mar" tire changer. They work great and damage free. If you had three or four guys to go in on one, it would be worth it. They even have a receiver hitch mount option.
Not a portable solution to the tire change issue though. Shops that charge exorbitant amounts are raping you everywhere else, parts, labor, sales.

Wow , last time I had the tires changed on my gen II it cost me.............................$000.00 and that was driving the bike in with old tires and driving it out with new tires ! I take that back , the rear tire cost me $165

Back