how to powdercoat vmax engine???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashmymax

Reaction score
Has anyone powdercoated there engine. I am thinking of doing but have a few questions.

Will the engine overheat with powdercoat?

Do i have to disassemble the engine to do it or will all the gaskets and rubber parts hold up to the baking process?

what holes need to be plugged besides the coolant, carb, and exhaust holes and ideas how to plug them? I am worried about something getting inside the engine when blasting.

If powdercoat wont work what type of paint should i use? base coat clear coat, epoxy, single stage, high temp, do you primer before painting on a bike engine?

any help would be great. I have the engine out and need to get it and the frame coated soon. Sean is getting close to finishing my tail section and 6 over arm and i want to have everything back together soon. Thanks.

you have to completely dismantle the engine. no rubber pieces or bearings will hold up to powdercoating. lost of guys have luck with the appliance or epoxy paint.

Re: how to powder coat vmax engine???

Do you no if primer is needed? I have been told you only want one thin layer of paint to prevent overheating but i don't see how you could get buy without primer.

I think having it blasted would be the best way to prep the engine but i am worried about something getting inside.

This has been covered before. Sean Morley has the block off plates he'll loan you to blast and paint your motor. Here is what I decided. Motor soda blasted and painted, everything removeable gets powder coated. I love the durability and ease of cleaning I get with powdercoating.

Wow, never thought about powder coating an entire engine.. Too bad the factory didn't think of doing it... I will probably wait till I have one that needs a complete rebuild... Neat Idea though...

I had my motor painted fully assembled while out of the bike. Used Emron black paint. Five years later it still looks brand new. Damon and others have used the POR 66?

rick rach

Powdercoating the engine sucks. Been there and figured out the better way. See pics on the facebook site.

Sean

my powdercoater said the engine cases didn't appear to be powdercoated, came off too easy.

my powdercoater said the engine cases didn't appear to be powdercoated, came off too easy.

Dffrent story here :ummm:

Couldnt strip the paint with chemicals that easly eats the conventional paint.
Either it is a good paint or powder my strippers cant eat it.

I have one engine cover here, which is PC'd for sure. I havent seen any diffrence while blasting it.
Bead blast dont give a shit of all LOL

Dffrent story here :ummm:

Couldnt strip the paint with chemicals that easly eats the conventional paint.
Either it is a good paint or powder my strippers cant eat it.

I have one engine cover here, which is PC'd for sure. I havent seen any diffrence while blasting it.
Bead blast dont give a shit of all LOL

gotcha. i have no idea just commenting on what i heard. maybe morley knows for sure?

The engines are not coated from the factory. They have paint that is baked in an oven (similar to what we do).

Sean

Back