How to remove rear rim cushion bearings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Well after a lot of disappointment and now having to do some fabricating to my rim because my pops messed it up in a mill this is how you can remove the rear cushion bearing.. now I pulled out the center bushing ripped the rubber on two but I think it was because I didnt have the rim hot enough. Like it has been said before removing these should be your last resort they will withstand just about anything yes even powdercoating. So unless they ar falling apart I eouldnt touch them and I dont know how this would work even if they were falling apart lol. But here it is
uploadfromtaptalk1363015214745.jpg

First I tapped the center bore with a 1/2 13 tap. It wont make perfect thread but it will make good enough threads. Go down as far as you can. Dont forget the cutting oil! I just use 15-50. I got a threaded 12" 13 rod a 1/2" 13 nut, a big washer, and a big ass socket from work. Now the socket wont be cheap. Maybe someone could make a puller I was just lucky enough that my work had big sockets.

uploadfromtaptalk1363015235079.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363015254658.jpg

Slide washers then socket up to the nut and thread into inner bushing used channel locks if needed but go down as far as you can. Heat around the bushing A LOT and then use a 3/4 wrench and screw the nut down and it will extract the bushing. Its not easy you will have to put some muscle in it now and then but it works!!

uploadfromtaptalk1363015266935.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363015278991.jpg

Maybe soaking it in ATF/ ACETONE over night might help because the steel bushings deffinetly started rusting.. but he it works. This is what milling them out and not measuring how this the back wall is does. The aluminum is so thin it pushed it out. Now we have to make a big hole and plug it and throw it into a lathe to smooth it out.

uploadfromtaptalk1363015973979.jpg

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

interesting. good work. this assumes the glue hodling the inner bushing to the rubber will hold during the removal though yes? my inner bushings actually came out of the rubber and started falling into the wheel! i epoxied them back in place, can't imagine thatd be enough to extract mine.

Exactly. Two out of 5 inner bushings ripped out but I believe it was because I didn't heat it enough... if it falls out again u can take your time and cut away rubber and maybe tack weld a nut to outer bushing heat up rim and use a slide hammer. Or if it is just a stock rim probably just buy a used one :rofl_200:

Back