How to split block (complete teardown)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarick123

Reaction score
I've got every bolt bolt removed, that yoke/joint thing pulled (where the drive shaft attaches), pistons and oil system are out, etc. For whatever reason, I cannot get the top and bottom halves of the block to separate. Is Yamabond #5 really that strong? I've tried a dead-blow hammer, prying wherever I can get a point on both sides to lever against, and using the chains to try and lift the top off with the crankshaft.

What am I missing?

There is one bolt in the front corner that needs to come out (it's in from the opposite direction as the bolts from the bottom). There are three bolts that can't be removed with the geads on but they can be taken loose and left in place.

Sean

Heads are removed, as is that single bolt (assuming you mean the one by the water pump... number 36 on the torque order?

Yes he was refering that bolt. Theres only one bolt at the front, in the upper case.

It should fall of itself. Most defo you are missing something.
Try to recheck the whole bolts.
Good luck.

Yea, 8 mains. Don't forget to remove the clutch slave cylinder, and the curved retaining strap for the oil pump drive gear (3 phillips screws). Have to have the clutch basket out of the way and plastic oil pump drive gear.

Sean

I dread the day i have to do this......keep revs under 9k and change oil 3 times a season and pray...

Well, in my case, I can only wish the previous owner had kept it out of a lake. :)

Actually, the internals seem to be in excellent condition (apart from the oil that has turned to chocolate mousse). Jugs are not scored, no pitting or scratches in any of the internal surfaces, etc.

Back