How well does the 1985 age?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinzak

Reaction score
Saw a 1985 v-max for sale and I am very tempted. Only got 12k miles on the clock and seems to have been garaged over it's 27 years.

My concern is the 27 years! How well does the original v-max age and what should I be looking for ( or not ) when I go to check it out?

Always loved the look of the v-max since I owned a 535 back in the 80's and would love the opportunity to get one now.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

If it has been stored indoors out of direct sunlight and kept dry it might be ok, has the seller got it running? I would want to see ALL the fluids/filters changed, look at rubber components for deteriation such as brake/clutch lines, tires, carb boots, etc, if it has not run a long time that could open another can of issues..........................Tom.

If it's a one owner '85 kept indoors I could see the attraction of wanting it......be kinda cool

Even sitting inside the rubbers components will degrade, and anything in contact with any fluid will need looking at, the carbs will prolly need some attention and take a hard look at the gas tank too.....

Really depends on how it was stored (gas in, gas out?) and what the temperature swing was where it was
stored. For the right price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat but expect to spend a lot more reconditioning it... Could
be well worth the effort or could be a total loser...

Welcome to the VMax Forum...

I bought an '85 that needed work. It had been run in the previous year so was maintained and nothing was deteriorated, but the carbs had been sent out for rebuild and had been screwed up (pilot screw hole threads were messed up). I ended up getting a set of ebay carbs but it's running well now. If you can get it for cheap, I'd go for it (I got mine for $1k).

I bought mine from upstate New York off e-bay sight unseen from second owner who had it sitting in a unheated garage for 5 years...started it every now and then for the first 2...then wouldn't start again. 22k miles....PO had it sitting for another 5.
Quite a bit of work because of it sitting, (leaking forks, dry rot front tire, tank rust etc) but started right up with good gas.

First ride and hitting boost the front end came up...I was hooked.

I worked on it for 3 months before I put it on the road...but that was just personnal stuff/cosmetic.forum stuff....progressive springs and shocks, exhaust, tires & brakes lubed every joint and bearing.

Took it out again...the front has never come up since:ummm:but it is fast, and the boost does not kick like when it was stock.

May have payed too much, and the shipping killed me, but 5 years ago you couldn't find a '85, and they were going for about 2k more then than they are now....I paid $2600 shipped.....back then if you could find them they were asking $4500 upwards.

Well this is what the seller had to say. FYI the bike is in good condition and has nothing at all wrong with it even though it is from 1985 it has only 19000 km's on the clock and the bike has just been fitted with brand new Michelin tyres, K&N Air and oil filters, brand new battery and spark plugs as I was not intending on selling her but I got a new job and dont have time to use the bike anymore

price is 3000 Euros, so about $4400. For here is it a very good price. I know that in the US maybe not so much. I've made an appointment to meet the guy and give it a test ride on Wednesday......might be a vmax owner by the end of the week all going well.

My only concern would be the tranny upgrade, I have done most upgrades like the four pole starter,larger battery, R1 upgrade , COPs and the DD clutch mod. The bike seems to run better today than when I bought it. I bought it from a dealership about 100 miles from me and had to fuel up before reaching home and when I went to start it I had the slow hot start issue then. The dealership said its new and the engine is tight, but it gonna be alright. If and when the tranny starts popping out of gear I will keep on riding her, she now has about 19K on the clock. If I was gonna buy a Vmax I would look at the later models with all the upgrades already in place. Just my .02 cents

I got a ONE OWNER 1985 red one sitting in my garage right now. It was tornado tossed back in 2008 whilst tied down in the back of an RV. Other than the couple scratched from that and a ding in the muffler, I think it's still as purdy and rideable as the day I bought it. I wouldn't part with it for under $1,500,000.00, and doubtful even then.

I have pics in my profile.
Just sayin.......

:punk: Hey, They age well and the 85 is the best year. Go for it and we'll all help you out. If that price is good where you live go for a ride if he'll let you and see what you think. Good Luck, Spurs

I bought my '85 two years ago with 15,000 miles on it. It now has almost twice that many miles. So far I have only had to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder, no other issues. It still looks new, and runs great. :eusa_dance:

1985 VMax, 43,XXX Miles on it. Wouldn't trade it.

Attachments

• VMAX2 002.jpg
    VMAX2 002.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 18
  • VMAX2 003.jpg
    VMAX2 003.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 25
  • VMAX2 006.jpg
    VMAX2 006.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 17
Back