"Hunchback" Gen 1 Fuel Tank from Germany?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an opinion. But anything that rises above and interrupts the natural flow of the bikes lines looks unnatural.

The stock cover flows so well into the seat.

By trying to maintain the lines by adhering to the original contours, but failing to match the areas it flows into, it looks weird to me.......

Then again I have an aftermarket sport bike looking cover and it could be accused of the same thing so like I said it's just an opinion.

Fair enough. But in my opinion there's a fine line between exact stock and something that gains more capacity and looks stock to the point only I would notice it isn't stock and also other max owners.

However I think I am coming up with a pretty outrageous plan to have some friends fab something in conjunction with a www.coyote-gear.com tank. I will wait to get my hopes up too high until I determine if it will actually work.

I suppose we could get 6 gallon tank with a +6" stretched arm. You can get some gain under the OEM faux tank cover by swapping to pod filters but that does sacrifice some low and mid range power and also require the header.

Another option is the overdrive 5th gear? Maybe by the time you get a new tank and painted you could be very close to having the overdrive installed. I've gotten as high as 44 mpg with two up and luggage. The same bike got 49mpg with a single rider and luggage.

Now I'm hung up on whether I'm going to try to mount the tank off the luggage rack or in the spot vacated by my left side pipe when I went to the Hindle 4-1... A 4" tank will barely get me above a gallon at the 20" length. A 5"x20" gets me 1.7 filled to the top, so 1.5 realistically. 15x6 gets almost 1.75.. That would probably give me an effective touring range of >160 miles at 35 mpg, which should be really easy to achieve with my OD trans and straight highway cruising. Plus it pretty much matches the can on the other side and regains my symmetry. I also gives me the opportunity to put a fitting in the bottom of my tank for fuel feed purposes. If I hang it under the luggage rack, I'm looking at probably a 3-gallon regular round tank, but I might as well just strap on a 2 gallon red can if I'm gonna do that.

Back