"Hunchback" Gen 1 Fuel Tank from Germany?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm, I have yet to see a Lithium Ion battery for a motorcycle.

OK, so it's a matter of semantics. I accept that. I have read a lot about the Lithium Iron batteries, but I'll check this out too. Thanks for the link!

Yes it appears both to be accurate terminology depending on the situation. I read the second post recapping all comments in the thread and grasped most of it but started to get over my head every now and again.

All I know is I want a way to get my tank closer to 6 gallons and still have no clue on what works and what doesn't.

The exactrep 6 liter
The boxenstopp 7 liter
The MEK 7 liter
Custom fab from thundermfg

I think I am more lost and confused than when I started. Wish there was some one that did one of these or another alternative with a walk through or comment thread on the process and product

Those adv guys are super nerds. I would never call a LiFePO battery lithium ion, but I think it's like the difference between hilarious and hysterical. They're different but it's becoming acceptable to use ion in the place of iron... Good luck talking trying to get a kid at Walmart to look for lithium iron.

Good luck getting a kid at walmart to even acknowledge you. And then expect them to know WHAT something is and then WHERE it is in the store.

Mdf, are you opposed to an auxiliary tank? Does it have to look like you don't have increased fuel capacity? There really is not room on or in a stock bike to add three gallons of anything...

A three gallon Tourtank is 8x15 and the 4 gallon is 10x13. Either could be mounted on a cycle-istic.com luggage rack. You're gonna need a new seat if you want to ride out a full tank of that capacity, though.

Mdf, are you opposed to an auxiliary tank? Does it have to look like you don't have increased fuel capacity? There really is not room on or in a stock bike to add three gallons of anything...

A three gallon Tourtank is 8x15 and the 4 gallon is 10x13. Either could be mounted on a cycle-istic.com luggage rack. You're gonna need a new seat if you want to ride out a full tank of that capacity, though.

Preferably not much different than stock. The guy selling me the vmax this Saturday said his gas light comes on around 60-70 miles meaning he gets only around 20mpg if one gallon is left after the light goes on. That's why I was interested in the 6 or 7 liter to see how it would work. Doesn't change look much but adds 1.5 to almost 2 gallons.

And I can't give up the passenger seat because the reason I'm switching to a vmax is for the wife to ride kore comfortably

I'd get the Cycle-istic rack and backrest with a 3 gallon tourtank. You can keep the tank mounted to the rack, or remove it, or run just the backrest. It's a good system and very sturdy. Mtnmax/magniac is the guy who makes them, and he has a vendor banner at the top of the page. I've got both parts. Tourtank sells all the fittings and hoses you'll need as a kit. You'll have to decide which side of the tank you want to come in on, but it would be pretty simple to hook it up. They've got cut-off valves, quick disconnects, and everything else you can think of.

Whatever you do, post pics.

Dude, look at this vmax from my friend Steve. He lost hte stock tank so he made a new one on the normal location using a faux cover and a and made sheet underside, he then welded a cap port and used one of those chinese CNC caps. Pretty easy and a slick mod, not so much f you have your stock airbox, but it can always grow upwards like he did and then connect with some hose and a tap to your stock tank or need to shut the stock cap and relocate the vent to the aux tank...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNLNmMv-KSU

That tribute bike is amazing. I wish I was that talented when it came to bikes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think I'm gonna just do this one and mount it under the tail end of the luggage rack or cantilevered out on some angle steel.

http://www.coyote-gear.com/8inchspuntanks.html

8x14 gives more than three gallons. Even not quite full it will get you 195 miles at 35mpg. Most guys don't really want to sit that long all at one time, even on an aftermarket seat. On a stock seat most guys would just pull into a hospital after 3 straight hours.

I think I'm gonna just do this one and mount it under the tail end of the luggage rack or cantilevered out on some angle steel.

http://www.coyote-gear.com/8inchspuntanks.html

8x14 gives more than three gallons. Even not quite full it will get you 195 miles at 35mpg. Most guys don't really want to sit that long all at one time, even on an aftermarket seat. On a stock seat most guys would just pull into a hospital after 3 straight hours.

First time seeing this. I like the idea if I could get the offset filler and bung in an14 inch. Question that remains is how you integrate it and reduce sloshing in the tank since it is a cylindrical shape.

Do you know if there is adequate room for an under rack mount like this?

Edit: additionally I did the math and a 6"x15" will give me 1.84 gallons. Or a 8"x9" will give me 1.96 gallons. So depending on clearance I may go this route but implementation and sloshing will be the deciding factors

The weld a plate in the center of each tank to reduce sloshing. The 8" ones are all pretty wide, though. That's why I would consider a 6" one. At the price of these things. you could buy 6 different ones depending on how far you wanted to go.

Coyote-gear is Tourtank's parent company. I was really confused when I went to the tourtank website and didn't see all the options I'd been looking at.

First time seeing this. I like the idea if I could get the offset filler and bung in an14 inch. Question that remains is how you integrate it and reduce sloshing in the tank since it is a cylindrical shape.

Do you know if there is adequate room for an under rack mount like this?

Edit: additionally I did the math and a 6"x15" will give me 1.84 gallons. Or a 8"x9" will give me 1.96 gallons. So depending on clearance I may go this route but implementation and sloshing will be the deciding factors
I'm sure they put baffles in it to prevent that.

They talk about custom tanks. I wonder if that is within the options they give or if you could get a one off. Additionally I'd pay double to get a one off with baffles inside to reduce sloshing

They'll make pretty much anything you want as long as it's a tube, I think. Just email them. They got back to me in less than a day. There's a custom tank button that just says stuff takes longer if it's not in their product line.

They'll make pretty much anything you want as long as it's a tube, I think. Just email them. They got back to me in less than a day. There's a custom tank button that just says stuff takes longer if it's not in their product line.
Thank you! This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for so I can run an aux tank when I don't have my nitrous bottle on board. I'm extended 3" and my nitrous bottle sits between the tire and the tank and one of these would work perfectly, I'd just need the 1/4" fitting on one end and a vent on the other, wouldn't need a fill cap because it'd fill and drain right with my stock tank. Only looking to get about an extra gallon out of it and this will save me a bunch of fabrication time.

Are you referring to the 7 or 11 liter?

It looks as though the 7 liter keeps the original lines pretty well maintained

Just an opinion. But anything that rises above and interrupts the natural flow of the bikes lines looks unnatural.

The stock cover flows so well into the seat.

By trying to maintain the lines by adhering to the original contours, but failing to match the areas it flows into, it looks weird to me.......

Then again I have an aftermarket sport bike looking cover and it could be accused of the same thing so like I said it's just an opinion.

Back