"Hunchback" Gen 1 Fuel Tank from Germany?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcticus

Reaction score
Hi. Wondering if anybody has any experience with this fuel tank extension from Germany?

http://www.v-max-f-maerz.de/vmaxkatalog/750/754c_en.html

I've got an '06 VMax. Love it. Hate the cruising range. Old issue I know. I've reviewed various options, including faux tank replacements and tail-pillion seat replacements. I've got a tour tank that I'll use for trips.

But I'm looking to modestly increase cruising range for day trips...without altering the looks of the bike. Notwithstanding cost and availability, the above tank should fit the bill...depending on where the replacement battery gets installed and how livable and aesthetically acceptable that is.

Just wondering if anybody has insight into the item. I don't want to extend the swingarm to install a larger tank.

Thanks...
Dan

Thats 5 liters, not gallons. Thats just 1 gallon extra youre gaining, what an extra 30 miles? :-(

Yup...I'm aware of the volume of the add on. 5 L equals around 1.3 gallons. On my max (I get around 35 mpg) that's around 45 miles extra range. That makes a big difference to me on a day ride.

dan

I've haven't seen that tank before, I wonder of it is new? Also do they tell you where the battery is relocated to?

There was a plastic one as well that was made in Germany but don't know if its still available. You had to do some minor mods to get it to fit. There are a few on here who have it. If you're going to order the F Maerz one go through Boxenstopp in FL. He is the US distributor for F Maerz.

I don't know where the battery goes. Thats one of my questions about the product. Also I don't know the cost.

That's a good lead to the retailer in FL. I'll give them a call next week to see if I can get some details.

Auxillary tank on a rack?

As my initial post mentioned...I've got a Tour Tank (2 gal) for longer trips. I'm looking for a stealth upgrade that gives me more cruising range on day trips. I'd hate to ride around all the time with the Tour Tank on a rack...and I don't need to. Also I'm not really that impressed with the tanks the replace the oem faux tank cover...to my eye they are ugly, not to mention the hideous cost.

Gives me a new idea. With todays lithium ion batteries I think we could extend the fuel tank forward and take up the space that the battery was in (like they do). Then you get a new battery and install it under the passenger seat. The lith batteries are small enough that I think it would be possible.

Sean

Gives me a new idea. With todays lithium ion batteries I think we could extend the fuel tank forward and take up the space that the battery was in (like they do). Then you get a new battery and install it under the passenger seat. The lith batteries are small enough that I think it would be possible.

Sean

I like where your going with this Sean. My fender has a storage compartment & my lith battery will fit in it, & my pass. seat flips up. It might need a little modding on the seat though & if you have G's cop conversion you even have a little bit of more room

Attachments

• IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG0050.jpg
    IMAG0050.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0066.jpg
    IMAG0066.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 87

Sean

Sean...could you design & fabricate a battery installation that could be accomplished as part of the reshaping of the passenger seat?

I'll be contacting you anyway about a seat. My Corbin rides nicely but detracts from the aesthetics of the bike to my eye. I've got all of the stock seat of my '06 sitting around the garage in perfect condition.

Designing a good new product takes time obviously. Battery installation, revised/enlarged tank, wiring, etc. But I'd rather buy it from you than from Germany.

Dan

I think we'd cut down the inner reinforcement of the rear seat to clear room for the battery. You'll lose the tool kit though. Then the battery would just need a longer set of power wires which would be easily enough done too. We'd do the project but it's not something I can have ready next week.

Sean

Doesn't anyone make a molded plastic fuel tank for our bikes? It would seem to be the best solution as far as increasing the capacity somewhat and making it lighter to boot.

Doesn't anyone make a molded plastic fuel tank for our bikes? It would seem to be the best solution as far as increasing the capacity somewhat and making it lighter to boot.

Molds for something like that are probably in the tens of thousands of dollars, not enough of a market I would say, to justify the cost. :confused2:

Maybe Kj can start 3d printing on in little sections and somebody else can build them...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

I was thinking about plastic tanks the other day. We have a company, here in town, that makes plastic and metal tanks. I was thinking about asking them if they could make a plastic fuel tank and if so, how much.

Then there is also the you make the mold and doing yourself option for those who have the skill. I'm wondering if this mold kit would work.

Back