"Hunchback" Gen 1 Fuel Tank from Germany?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about doing one , and I have the ability but the liability scare's me.

I mention something about why not plastic for a tank and someone said there were problems with the ethanol and plastics . Would be real nice if it could work .

Several companies (Ducati for one) that have plastic tanks have had problems with the ethanol gas. Surely there is a plastic that is impervious to ethanol. :confused2:

Several companies (Ducati for one) that have plastic tanks have had problems with the ethanol gas. Surely there is a plastic that is impervious to ethanol. :confused2:

There are quite a few cars built with molded plastic fuel tanks because they are easier to form and are lighter in weight. I would think those same companies would be able to make a tank for our bikes....

When you guys go to the pharmacy to buy ethanol (rubbing alcohol) what container do they come in? I'd say plastic right?... Hell even Jim Beam bottles are plastic... LOL

Yes but they were designed knowing the expected content. Older tanks were not designed with knowledge that ethanol was going to be added to the gas. Most of the ones I have heard of are older bikes, especially dirt bikes which almost exclusively use plastic tanks.

When you guys go to the pharmacy to buy ethanol (rubbing alcohol) what container do they come in? I'd say plastic right?... Hell even Jim Beam bottles are plastic... LOL
Not when you buy the 1L or 1.75L!:biglaugh::biglaugh:
I'll have to admit though, I haven't had a drop of The Beam in over 20 years! I used to carry a SS flask of it to almost every social event in my foolish 20's!:bang head: Live and learn!:confused2:

I wonder if that is why BRM stopped making them or was it just for lack of demand?

I just spent some time poking around on the web and the 10% ethanol and plastic gas tanks incompatibility seems to be mostly touted as a problem on websites offering a solution for it, for a price.

Couple of boat forums I looked at seemed to think it wasn't a problem at all as long as good storage practices were followed.

Then there were the usual grumblings about ethanols effect on older types of rubber gaskets, o-rings, hoses and the like.

I have no opinion either way, other than to observe never having had issues myself with it.

High Density Poly Ethylene has been around a very long time. I think that's what most plastic tanks are made of but am not sure.

Fiberglass boat tanks were definitely a problem.

Probably the best bet is to have a tank and lines made from 1" thick titanium.:rofl_200::rofl_200:

That original hunchback Beluga Whale head looking thing is so ugly I'd rather push a Vmax that's run out of gas than ride one with that tank on it...:rofl_200::biglaugh:

Yup Rusty when you want to sell a solution you have to find a problem... I think that is one of those problems...

@redbone - With your speech you made me recall of Jeremiah weed, that poison that would bring us down in a heartbeat...

Ever any resolve to this question? As I am asking the same one myself now that I am joining the Vmax club.

Would be interested in the battery answer as well as how install is

The lithium batteries are pretty small, but I don't know if there are any small enough to be able to install in the stock location with a tank extended forward. You'd have to install it under the rear seat like Sean said in another thread. How much more tank are you really looking for? 150 mile range or 200 mile range?

The lithium batteries are pretty small, but I don't know if there are any small enough to be able to install in the stock location with a tank extended forward. You'd have to install it under the rear seat like Sean said in another thread. How much more tank are you really looking for? 150 mile range or 200 mile range?

I'm looking to get it to about 6 gallons which the 7 liter will help do. Just trying to figure out how it all would work. Very surprised there aren't any walkthrus or comments on people that have done this. May just have to try to get Joe from boxenstopp on the phone and see if he can convince me one way or the other.

I believe I have the friends and resources to build a custom one but would much rather buy one already engineered and tested and ready to bolt on for convenience and safety

Gives me a new idea. With todays lithium ion batteries I think we could extend the fuel tank forward and take up the space that the battery was in (like they do). Then you get a new battery and install it under the passenger seat. The lith batteries are small enough that I think it would be possible.

Sean
Sean,

Don't you mean Lithium Iron batteries?

There have been a couple of people on the M109R site that tried them and gave up on them. They must be "warmed up" to reach full potential before starting, such as by leaving the headlight on for a couple of minutes. They also found that the Lithium Iron batteries do not last well. For a $200 - $250 battery, that's not the kind of information I would want to hear, although they are light and small.

Sean,

Don't you mean Lithium Iron batteries?

There have been a couple of people on the M109R site that tried them and gave up on them. They must be "warmed up" to reach full potential before starting, such as by leaving the headlight on for a couple of minutes. They also found that the Lithium Iron batteries do not last well. For a $200 - $250 battery, that's not the kind of information I would want to hear, although they are light and small.

No. Lithium ion is correct. It's what you find in cell phones, laptops, etc

No. Lithium ion is correct. It's what you find in cell phones, laptops, etc
Hmmmmm, I have yet to see a Lithium Ion battery for a motorcycle.
Nope. lithium iron phosphate are the batteries that can power vehicles. Although they can be correctly called lithium ion due to their charge or discharge pattern or something.

Read this thread on the adv board for more information than you could ever want.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757934
OK, so it's a matter of semantics. I accept that. I have read a lot about the Lithium Iron batteries, but I'll check this out too. Thanks for the link!

Those adv guys are super nerds. I would never call a LiFePO battery lithium ion, but I think it's like the difference between hilarious and hysterical. They're different but it's becoming acceptable to use ion in the place of iron... Good luck talking trying to get a kid at Walmart to look for lithium iron.

Back