I fixed my high speed wobble...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
....and got my first US speeding ticket :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

so here we go, having renewed my steering head bearings, my high speed straight line wobble is GONE!!!

I took my bike to an indicated 135mph today, and not a shake - it was as steady as a train. Also note that my new head bearings are tightened to just slightly over the Yamaha service manual's prescribed torque, that I removed the Furbur washer and went back to the OEM rubber one, and if I lift the front wheel with the bike on the center stand and do the bounce test, my steering does actually bounce a couple of times - yet no wobble.

Also note that I just put two new Shinko tires on , but that didn't help. I also just replaced my front wheel bearing (and added the spacer I was missing) and that got rid of the front end vibes I felt before. I also have a handlebars-mounted Hellfire windshield, but at 135mph it seems to have no ill effects.

This really makes me think that any Max that needs its steering bearings tightened or the Furbur fix actually has WORN bearings, and replacing them is a much safer bet than any adjustment. Not to say that adjustment won't help to start with, but that I believe the need for adjustment is an early sign of wear, and it's all downhill from there on.

I'm SO happy I've proven to myself that the Max has NO design flaw, and that even with rubber engine mounts, bone stock frame and swingarm, and the original '86 40mm forks (ok I do have Progressive springs, a beefier fork brace and old style 12.5" Progressive shocks) it is perfectly stable in a straight line at 135mph with new and factory-spec adjusted steering head bearings :clapping::clapping::clapping:

You 'da MAN nG ! Hope to see you this Saturday- but not in the back seat of a cop car. :biglaugh:

I always hear about max's high speed wobble, I bought an 85 w/ 10k on it a few months ago, I ran it up to a buck fifty several times now and although it does'nt stick like glue I've found it to be fairly managable.
Only mods so far are , piped -jetted& filltered, ( UFO pipes sound like small block 350 on steroids!!!) thanx for listening,

Shorthair.......

I always hear about max's high speed wobble, I bought an 85 w/ 10k on it a few months ago, I ran it up to a buck fifty several times now and although it does'nt stick like glue I've found it to be fairly managable.
Only mods so far are , piped -jetted& filltered, ( UFO pipes sound like small block 350 on steroids!!!) thanx for listening,

Shorthair.......

sounds like from naughty's experience its a indication your bearings are worn. i have yet to notice it either but i've only been up to around 125 b/c my tires are shot on the new 'max

Congrats on getting it fixed NG...

But on the other hand, now your flights up I-4 won't be as exciting! LOL!

:eusa_dance:

Thanks m8, altho it depends how you look at it: on one hand I won't be shitting meself expecting a tank slapper every time I open it up, but on the other hand I'm now seriously gonna have to consider cop running if ever I see those blue lights again. Only prob is I don't think 135 is enough to lose 'em.. :ummm::bang head:

Thanks m8, altho it depends how you look at it: on one hand I won't be shitting meself expecting a tank slapper every time I open it up, but on the other hand I'm now seriously gonna have to consider cop running if ever I see those blue lights again. Only prob is I don't think 135 is enough to lose 'em.. :ummm::bang head:

Speed alone won't do it G, they'll just bring out "Air 1" :biglaugh:

Gotta start working on "The Stealth Max!" Fly below the radar!! :punk:

I don't want to burst your bubble but...... that high speed wobble at 120mph or so, may not be there on one speed run but then abruptly show its uguly head on the next. It is usually caused by frame flex. I would recommend installing the solid motor mounts if you plan on running those speeds often. Don't get over confident with just properly adjusted steering head bearings. It sounds like you did inprove your bikes handling though. Keep improving it.

Honestly, I've now had a number of 120+mph sustained straight line runs, and it's stable and just fine.

This is not to say that I would even dream of taking any turn at anything more that 80mph - frame flex is very real and it only takes a couple of small road bumps to send the whole bike into death wobbles again. I will try solid motor mounts at some point soon - tryinna locate a set for less than $75 which seems a little excessive for what they are..

Back